MY newly built desktop will not switch on properly(read descrip plz)

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
Ok so my parts came in today and I just finished building my pc. I plugged it into a monitor and switched it on and heres what happens.

It turns on for 2 seconds-swiches itself on-turns back on again and nothing will show on the monitor. I double checked the motherboard, monitor and all the pins and plugs and everything is plugged in and where it supposed to be. The fans are also very loud(theyre aftermarket) and I don't know why. The computer is for my mom-she needs it for work. I tried reinstalling the ram and hard drive and optical drive and power supply, but I have no idea what is happening.

Specs if needed:

Pentium DUALCORE 950 3.4GHZ SL95V
MSI G31M3-L V2 Motherboard
2GB DDR2 667MHZ RAM
650W PSU
250GB IDE HARD DRIVE
Sata Internal DVD/CD Combo DRIVE
ONBOARD VIDEO CARD

I think it is the power supply but I am not sure, I bought it off ebay for around 20 bucks so that could be the issue, but before I try and use my old 350W PSU, I wanna see if there any other issues. Help please? Thanks everyone! :pt1cable:

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011
I tried removing the ram and putting them in seperate slots and it made it worse. Now after it restarts, the cpu fan goes on overload and starts spinning like crazy. I dont know whats happening!

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Ok, I just switched the power supply and now it is working fine with my 350 watt, but there is no picture on the monitor, just black? What do I do now?

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Yes the VGA cord is plugged in. And it is restarting again. I really do think that it is a faulty motherboard-could the cause also be because the cpu is not installed correctly?

cmi86

Distinguished
Pull the BIOS battery overnight and try again. Usually a black screen with onboard graphics signifies a bad board/processor and maybe ram (try booting with only one stick and alternate slots) But it is a possibility with all the failed boots you have had you BIOS might just be locked up.

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Ok I will, and I already tried alternating ram slots and everything, and I just double checked the cpu, its in the right spot. I have no idea what is wrong with the computer/:

I didn't mean VGA cord, i meant card, like a graphics card. If you have one on another system put it in one of the slots and try the monitor off of that. And do what he ^ said, unplug the computer and take the battery out to reset the BIOS. It shouldn't take more than a few minutes but do it for 15 to be sure.

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Lol how do you take out the battery? And where is it located? sorry for so many questions. and I have an onboard video card, its vga

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Ok I just took it out, I'll put it back in in 15 minutes and reply to tell you my results!

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Took everything out and rebuilt it again, but it still does the same thing-this time thought, it starts for 2 seconds, slowly shuts off and then theres ONE BEEP, turns back on and then another beep and stays on. The fans seem to be at normal speeds but theres no picture. So my problems are still evident-it shuts off and then on when I try and power it and there is no image on the screen...tried swtiching the ram again and i tried the 650w psu again but it still didnt work..

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

Yes the board was brand new. Bought it for 50 bucks

okay before you file for a return/replacement read the manual it should tell you what the beep means depending on the sound or how many times it beeps. if the manual doesnt point towards a different component then it could be a bad board. your cpu heatsink/fan is plugged in right?

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

yes it is plugged in and has thermal paste on it. Ill check the manual for what the beeps mean

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

@CMI86 You're wrong, it is the ram. It seems that my motherbaord could not handle the ram speed-i replaced with an old 1 gb DDR2 RAM I found and it functioned perfectly. Going to buy more from best buy tomorow! Thanks All!!

cmi86

Distinguished

That's what I get for assuming people can atleast manage to put compatible ram in their machines... Best buy... For RAM?, ugh I quit.

nsahawks7

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2011

I know if my ram commpatible or not-it was the sellers fault. Either they gave me dysfunctional ram or the ram sopeed was labeled incrrectly. I'm not stupid. The reason I am going to best buy is because I need the compuetr finished by tomorow, if I hd time I would order from newegg. Best buys the closest reliably computer store to me. You really think I would order from best buy..? Come on dude I'm not an idiot..