P8z77-v LX, Computer won't start.

dempaaa

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Background:
My computer has been built and operating smoothly for 6 months now. When I built it, I accidentally bent a few of the CPU pins, however I repositioned the bent ones to face the correct direction again (they are slightly off the grain, but work).

This problem:
It all started when I decided to format my hard drives after aquiring a virus that no anti-virus software I tried was able to remove. When I tried to reinstall Windows 7, the installation software, then later my BIOS, did not detect my primary drive. This was important because the primary drive is an SSD. I turned the computer back off, and tried refastening the cables for the SSD. When I rebooted, the computer turned off after a few seconds, then restarted and turned off once again. Ever since, my computer has not turned on at all. There is one green LED on the motherboard which does turn on whenever I have the power supply plugged in and switched to on.

As of now, I have disconnected all drives, and rotated/removed RAM. No combination seems to work, leading me to believe the issue has to do with either the motherboard, CPU, or power supply.

My specs are as follows:

Mobo: Asus P8z77-v LX
CPU: Intel i5 3750k
Memory: g.Skill ripjaws 1333 (2x2gb)
PSU: OCZ 750w 80+ bronze certified
Case: Antec Three-Hundred-One
GPU: Gigabyte AMD 7850

I'm done trying tonight, however I will check this tomorrow and try what you guys suggest. If I end up needing a new motherboard, I'd like to go with a different model, since I have read reviews since purchasing it that have given me traces of buyer's remorse.

Note: The computer does not turn on at all. It does not turn on for half a second and then shut off. It doesn't turn on in any way.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
It's hard to excuse the bent CPU pins as a possible suspect in this, but I'd point my finger more towards the hard drive. You said you decided to "format my hard drives", implying you have more than one connected to the system.

This is easy to narrow down by connecting a known good hard drive and trying to boot to the Windows disk to see if it detects it, or even just in the BIOS.

Next step, try a different power supply, as most shutdown issues tend to be related to the PSU and if it were faulty, the hard drives may not be receiving power, causing them to be undetected.

dempaaa

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Thanks for the advice. I plan on breadboard building it tomorrow, and if that doesn't work, returning the cpu and psu for new ones (I would return motherboard, however they aren't likely to take it back if the pins are scewed.

dempaaa

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
Pins on the motherbaord. The CPU has no pins, it has little individual gold plated surfaces that make contact with each motherboard pin. I believe the socket pins bent when I tried to install the cpu the first time due to the amount of force required just to throw the latch.

sharkbyte5150

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
There is no "force" required for installing any computer parts.
I know that spring lever can be a bit stubborn at times but if the CPU is seated properly you just slowly pull the lever down and secure it.

Now looking more closely, obviously the 3570K has no pins but that also means that something must have gone really wrong to have damaged the socket. If you have a way to test the build in another mobo with same socket, do that and then if it works you need to RMA your board.

rwrose298

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I have (had) the same problem system would do nothing just the Red Memok light on. It turns out that the first 2 memory slots on the board were killing the startup. Out of 16 Gig the best this borad will deliver is 8 if you leave slots A1 and A2 empty.

So, I'm now waithing for a replacement board and Asus can have this on back. Hope this helps someone in the future.

JS Dreyer

Reputable
Jun 8, 2015

My machine died (Asus P8Z77-V), and this was the solution. Move my 2x4GB of memory from A1 and A2 slots to B1 and B2 slots. Now it works. THANKS rwrose!