PLAYSTATION 3 TOTALLY STOMPS xflop full circle!!!

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

PLAYSTATION 3
--------------------------

RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory

1080p native resolution

two HD outputs

seven Bluetooth controllers

six USB slots, four up front and two in the back

Bluray

removable 2.5-in hard drive capability

Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller

wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
capabilities

xflop full circle
-------------------------

10MB GPU memory

720p native resolution

eh, what else? who cares?

Blig Merk wrote:
> PLAYSTATION 3
> --------------------------
>
> RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory
>
> 1080p native resolution
>
> two HD outputs
>
> seven Bluetooth controllers
>
> six USB slots, four up front and two in the back
>
> Bluray
>
> removable 2.5-in hard drive capability
>
> Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller
>
> wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
> capabilities
>

> xflop full circle
> -------------------------
>
> 10MB GPU memory
>
> 720p native resolution
>
> eh, what else? who cares?

How about if it actually is a powerful as they say? Wasn't the PS/2
supposed to be behind Iraq's WMD launch plan? LOL. Instead it was only
incrementally better than than the previous generation.

We'll see. I plan on playing my PSP throughout the holidays until Sony
finally reveals the "cell". I don't know why--I think it's clear that
cell is more destined for refridgerators than anything important
technologically. A case of putting one's eggs in a basket, carried by
three different people, and dropped by all.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

The PS3 *seems* to have more impressive hardware (comparing platforms is
sort of apples to oranges)... but Xbox 360 has more impressive launch
titles.

--
Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

To me it all comes down to Halo being on the Xbox, this game alone sells the
system for me. Not to mention that Xbox is made by an American company, that
makes it a very easy choice. I never understood Americans buying the
Playstation 2 and it being a lesser product than what was built by a company
in the USA. If you want to by a Toyota over a Chevy then okay I understand
that but damn the Xbox was head and shoulders better than the Playstation.
Come on children wise up you guys will be needing a job in the near future,
support the home team when it is good to do so.
My opinion,
Brad

"Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> PLAYSTATION 3
> --------------------------
>
> RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory
>
> 1080p native resolution

WOW! Now tha tis awesome!

> two HD outputs

Yup, see'm - lovem!

> seven Bluetooth controllers

> six USB slots, four up front and two in the back

> Bluray

another bonus

> removable 2.5-in hard drive capability

> Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller

> wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
> capabilities

> xflop full circle

Can't wait to get mine!

> 10MB GPU memory

Awesome!

> 720p native resolution

It will more than do for me! (my projector does both 1080p and 720p so both
consoles will be awesome for me!)

> eh, what else? who cares?

I would care to guess 40 to 60 million people will

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> The PS3 *seems* to have more impressive hardware (comparing platforms is
> sort of apples to oranges)... but Xbox 360 has more impressive launch
> titles.

Wow, where did you find the PS3 launch titles?

Blig Merk wrote:
> PLAYSTATION 3

It really says something about you when you are the only troll left over
when the PS2/Xbox fight first started.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in

> "Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
>> The PS3 *seems* to have more impressive hardware (comparing platforms is
>> sort of apples to oranges)... but Xbox 360 has more impressive launch
>> titles.
>>

> Wow, where did you find the PS3 launch titles?

The preview screens that Sony demoed - they seem rather stale when compared
to some of the Xbox games.

--

> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
>
>> "Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
>>> The PS3 *seems* to have more impressive hardware (comparing platforms is
>>> sort of apples to oranges)... but Xbox 360 has more impressive launch
>>> titles.
>>>

>> Wow, where did you find the PS3 launch titles?
>
> The preview screens that Sony demoed - they seem rather stale when
> compared
> to some of the Xbox games.

Oh, I thought you actually comparing launch titles and not talking about
screens on games that are more than a year away.

> --
> Lucas Tam (REMOVEnntp@rogers.com)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> "Mattinglyfan" <Estoscacahuates@comcast.net (deez nuts)> wrote in
>
> > "Lucas Tam" <REMOVEnntp@rogers.com> wrote in message
> >> The PS3 *seems* to have more impressive hardware (comparing platforms
is
> >> sort of apples to oranges)... but Xbox 360 has more impressive launch
> >> titles.
> >>

> > Wow, where did you find the PS3 launch titles?
>
> The preview screens that Sony demoed - they seem rather stale when
compared
> to some of the Xbox games.

The would explain all the "lackluster" comments by the gaming press after
viewing the early 360 games. Yawn.

Brad wrote:
> I never understood Americans buying the
> Playstation 2 and it being a lesser product than what was built by a
company
> in the USA.
>
> Come on children wise up you guys will be needing a job in the near
future,
> support the home team when it is good to do so.

The xbox is built in China. Maybe if it was made in America you'd have
a point.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

Bill Cable wrote:

> The xbox is built in China. Maybe if it was made in America you'd
> have a point.

Don't be a moron. Yeah, the manufacturing is outsourced to plants with cheap
labor (last I recall it was American-owned Flextronics doing the
manufacturing at plants in Mexico and elsewhere), just like 90% of the
consumer goods we buy. It's still an American product made by an American
company. Not that it should even matter either way.

-Z-

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in news:tWsie.3106$M36.2104
@newsread1.news.atl.earthlink.net:

>> The preview screens that Sony demoed - they seem rather stale when
> compared
>> to some of the Xbox games.
>
> The would explain all the "lackluster" comments by the gaming press after
> viewing the early 360 games. Yawn.

Ya, Xbox does seem a bit lame too, but Test Drive Unlimited looks neat with
the ability to drive across Oahu... and Perfect Dark 2 looks interesting
too.

Maybe consoles in general need fresh ideas.

--

Zackman wrote:
> Bill Cable wrote:
>
> > The xbox is built in China. Maybe if it was made in America you'd
> > have a point.
>
> Don't be a moron. Yeah, the manufacturing is outsourced to plants
with cheap
> labor (last I recall it was American-owned Flextronics doing the
> manufacturing at plants in Mexico and elsewhere), just like 90% of
the
> consumer goods we buy. It's still an American product made by an
American
> company. Not that it should even matter either way.
>
> -Z-

Um... yeah... how's about you not being the moron? Sure the xbox is
designed in the US... but it's manufactured in other countries. The
last I checked, the Cell processor was developed in large part by IBM.
And the graphics processor is by Nvidia - another American company.
I'd say the PS3 is every bit as "American" as the xbox360.

The guy's whole point was "Save jobs - buy the American xbox!!" That's
always the cry from the manufacturing segment of the workforce. But
buying the xbox doesn't create US manufacturing jobs any more than
buying a PS2 does. The only jobs the xbox is creating in America are
design jobs. I'd wager the PS2, with it's vast 3rd party support,
created many more software jobs in the US than the xbox.

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!
cable@creaturecantina.com

Ranger

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2004

Blig Merk wrote:
> PLAYSTATION 3
> --------------------------
>
> RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory
>
> 1080p native resolution
>
> two HD outputs
>
> seven Bluetooth controllers
>
> six USB slots, four up front and two in the back
>
> Bluray
>
> removable 2.5-in hard drive capability
>
> Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller
>
> wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
> capabilities
>

> xflop full circle
> -------------------------
>
> 10MB GPU memory
>
> 720p native resolution
>
> eh, what else? who cares?

Obviously you do, fan boy. I'll probably get both, the 360 for ES4:
Oblivion and PS3 for others, as I've got PS2 and XBox now.

I have to agree, but atleast Sony has gotten a lot better (I can't believe
they are still to cheap to include an HD though). I will probably end up
getting both. But, after my experience with broken ps2's and almost all
sony products for that matter, I won't be getting a ps3 till 2008. It took
them 2 years to remove the "of" designation between the "p" and the "s" in
both the ps1 and ps2. Why should this be different? Then again, one can
only hope.

And seriously, I hope by then they have a decent controller, cause damn
girl.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

Brad got up from the bar and shouted: :
> To me it all comes down to Halo being on the Xbox, this game alone sells the
> system for me. Not to mention that Xbox is made by an American company, that
> makes it a very easy choice. I never understood Americans buying the
> Playstation 2 and it being a lesser product than what was built by a company
> in the USA. If you want to by a Toyota over a Chevy then okay I understand
> that but damn the Xbox was head and shoulders better than the Playstation.
> Come on children wise up you guys will be needing a job in the near future,
> support the home team when it is good to do so.
> My opinion,
> Brad

So people should buy a XBox360 because it's an American product. If
XBox production was anything to go by, very few parts of it were made in
the US, Most of the XBox components were produced in Flextronics in
Eastern Europe and contractors in Mexico.

You can pretty much guarantee that at the pricepoint Microsoft on Sony
will be aiming their consoles at, it wont be U.S or Western companies
getting the business. Will be Asia and other production hotspots.

So why buy the underdog console? You not paying American wages.

Bill Cable wrote:

>Um... yeah... how's about you not being the moron? Sure the xbox is
> designed in the US... but it's manufactured in other countries.

Yeah, and so? Just means some company that owns a manufacturing plant makes
a few bucks off the Xbox because they get paid to put the thing together.
All of the profits from sales and royalties ultimately come back to
Microsoft, not to some foreign company. Not that there ARE any profits on
Xbox sales, except in the negative hundreds of millions of dollars.

> Last I checked, the Cell processor was developed in large part by IBM.
> And the graphics processor is by Nvidia - another American company.
> I'd say the PS3 is every bit as "American" as the xbox360.

You'd say that, but you'd be wrong. All the profits from sales of PS3,
beyond whatever gets paid to the parts suppliers, goes back to Sony in
Japan. If the PS3 is a huge hit, IBM and NVIDIA benefit, but ultimately it's
Sony's money.

> The guy's whole point was "Save jobs - buy the American xbox!!"

You do have a better point than he does.

> The only jobs the xbox is creating
> in America are design jobs.

The Xbox's CPU and GPU were made by American companies. And as we all know
software is where the money is. Several American companies have got filthy
rich off the Xbox. And the PS2 of course.

People should really stop buying the Grand Theft Auto games though (designed
by Scottish development house) and Bioware games (filthy Canadians), and of
course all Japanese games.

> I'd wager the PS2, with it's vast 3rd
> party support, created many more software jobs in the US than the
> xbox.

You'd have to assume so simply given the installed base of the two machines,
yes.

-Z-

Zackman wrote:
> Bill Cable wrote:
>
> >Um... yeah... how's about you not being the moron? Sure the xbox is
> > designed in the US... but it's manufactured in other countries.
>
> Yeah, and so? Just means some company that owns a manufacturing plant makes
> a few bucks off the Xbox because they get paid to put the thing together.
> All of the profits from sales and royalties ultimately come back to
> Microsoft, not to some foreign company. Not that there ARE any profits on
> Xbox sales, except in the negative hundreds of millions of dollars.
>
> > Last I checked, the Cell processor was developed in large part by IBM.
> > And the graphics processor is by Nvidia - another American company.
> > I'd say the PS3 is every bit as "American" as the xbox360.
>
> You'd say that, but you'd be wrong. All the profits from sales of PS3,
> beyond whatever gets paid to the parts suppliers, goes back to Sony in
> Japan. If the PS3 is a huge hit, IBM and NVIDIA benefit, but ultimately it's
> Sony's money.
>
> > The guy's whole point was "Save jobs - buy the American xbox!!"
>
> You do have a better point than he does.
>
> > The only jobs the xbox is creating
> > in America are design jobs.
>
> The Xbox's CPU and GPU were made by American companies. And as we all know
> software is where the money is. Several American companies have got filthy
> rich off the Xbox. And the PS2 of course.
>
> People should really stop buying the Grand Theft Auto games though (designed
> by Scottish development house) and Bioware games (filthy Canadians), and of
> course all Japanese games.
>
> > I'd wager the PS2, with it's vast 3rd
> > party support, created many more software jobs in the US than the
> > xbox.
>
> You'd have to assume so simply given the installed base of the two machines,
> yes.
>
> -Z-

ATI is a Canadian Company not American - Chairman and founder is Kwok
Yuen Ho.

see: http://www.ati.com/designpartners/media/bios/kyho.html

<digituk@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Zackman wrote:
>> Bill Cable wrote:
>>
>> >Um... yeah... how's about you not being the moron? Sure the xbox is
>> > designed in the US... but it's manufactured in other countries.
>>
>> Yeah, and so? Just means some company that owns a manufacturing plant
>> makes
>> a few bucks off the Xbox because they get paid to put the thing together.
>> All of the profits from sales and royalties ultimately come back to
>> Microsoft, not to some foreign company. Not that there ARE any profits on
>> Xbox sales, except in the negative hundreds of millions of dollars.
>>
>> > Last I checked, the Cell processor was developed in large part by IBM.
>> > And the graphics processor is by Nvidia - another American company.
>> > I'd say the PS3 is every bit as "American" as the xbox360.
>>
>> You'd say that, but you'd be wrong. All the profits from sales of PS3,
>> beyond whatever gets paid to the parts suppliers, goes back to Sony in
>> Japan. If the PS3 is a huge hit, IBM and NVIDIA benefit, but ultimately
>> it's
>> Sony's money.

Sony is a publicly traded company. if you want to enjoy the fruits of their
labours, buy stock. most companies 'profits' go into the company and/or to
shareholders. So is Microsoft. buy stock. if you're worried about the
loss of american jobs due to globalization, you'd be right to do so. but
buying an xbox is no different than buying a playstation, as parts are
thought of in one place, created in another, shipped by a company, sold by a
company, assembled by a kid in taiwan, and finally some profit goes through
to the maker of the hardware - but NOT from the sale of the unit, generally
from the sale of licensing software and selling external pieces
(controllers, etc). so now you have to boycott all the foreign companies
that make games too. if you want to save american industry, fire george
bush.