Best Graphics card for my system specs

doneganstm

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I am curious if I will be able to get the full benefits out of a graphics card such as a GTX 560 Ti without having to worry about any kind of bottle necking from my processor or power supply.

Current Specs are:
INTEL I5-760 2.80GHZ
4G Corsair Dominator Ram
EVGA INTEL P55 TR P55V SLI/CROSSFIRE
XTREMEGEAR 600 WATT POWER SUPPLY
Currently have a gts 250 1G that I want to upgrade to be able to hopefully max Skyrim.
Will also be purchasing a new monitor to play in 1080p if that changes anything.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome, thanks!

Solution
You could use GTS 250 as a dedicated physx card, but the gains are minimum since not so much games uses it.
Another point, the GTS 250 would obstruct the GTX 560Ti airflow, saying this I'm thinking that is better to leave only one card.

About the OClocked GTX version, you could buy one for the beefier heatsink+fan combo. To OC urself, or to use in stock and get lower temps, ur choice.

we1shcake

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2011
youre processor is easily powerful enough to not bottlneck even a top end card, and id think that power supply is powerful enough, you might want to consider overclocking your cpu though you can get a lot more performance out of a i5-760

spp85

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011

Very simple go for the Radeon HD 6950 or Radeon HD 6870 according to your budget.

HAPPY GAMING...............

pro-gamer

Distinguished
Aug 27, 2011

no sign of bottleneck i5 760 is powerfull cpu and enough for huge cards like gtx 590 or 6990.
so you will be fine at all.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Elder-Scrolls-Skyrim-System-Requirements-Pete-Hines-RPG,13821.html

The system spec's were released today for SKYRIM and if you want to "max" out the settings you would have to take a look at the recomended system requirements and go from there. What is your budget for the upgrade and you may have to upgrade the psu depending on what video card you finally settle on and it would be a good idea to up the clock on your cpu. A 560Ti has a minimum psu requirement of 500w so if you end up going any higher with the video card you may end up getting a new psu.

doneganstm

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
In total I am looking to spend around 400-450 dollars in upgrades. The monitor I was looking at was around 180 or so, so the rest can go towards a GPU. Would it be worth keeping the gts250 as a dedicated physx card?

Also, should I bother with an overclocked version of the card?

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
You could use GTS 250 as a dedicated physx card, but the gains are minimum since not so much games uses it.
Another point, the GTS 250 would obstruct the GTX 560Ti airflow, saying this I'm thinking that is better to leave only one card.

About the OClocked GTX version, you could buy one for the beefier heatsink+fan combo. To OC urself, or to use in stock and get lower temps, ur choice.

Solution

doneganstm

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Thanks for the input so far everyone. I'll do some more research and comparisons for the different manufacterors, I believe there was a review here comparing them that I will try and find again.

How important is the core clock speed? They seem to vary greatly with each card. Will the speed have a big impact from say a 822 MHz to a 950 MHz core clock speed?

You could add another GTS 250 to run in SLI, though finding one at a price that makes sense is no easy task at the moment not to mention it would be best to replace your PSU if you did so.

For a new card I say either get a 6950 2GB or a 560Ti. You could also go with two 460s in SLI or two 6850s in CF :D

TRENDING THREADS