Sign in with
Your question

Instalation of hard drives

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2013 5:43:08 AM

:bounce:  I have recieved my Gigabyte GAZ77X-UD5H=WB Motherboard my question is for the fact that the raid selection I ccould use is: 0 for Extreme Gaming, 1 is for photography / video production- which will be my main use, and raid 5, which is and does a combined use of both raid 0 and 1, which means I could become a game junkey as well as not have to worry about my photo art going spazzy and corrupt. Now there is a connction to use on the mother board to connect a single Hard drive: my question is can I hook up one hard drive in the non raid connection, and two hard drives in raid 0, and additional two hard drives in raid 1 for a tottal of five hard drives So that I could switch from working on my main non raid drive and storing my work on the two raid 1 hard drives, and as well; switch to playing games on raid 0. My understanding is that the Western Digital 1.5 tb Caviar Black is the best hard drive for use in in photo and video work and is designed for non raid and raid 0/or 1, If I use the Western Digital RE4-2 tb could work but why would I want to use a product mostly intended for video survalance.

Now I know that the Western Digital 1.5 tb or 2 tb Caviar Black hard drives are only suitable for non raid if only one hard drive is used, and for raid 0,/ 1, each require two hard drves of the same storage capacity at least 1.5 tb. For the use of raid 5, again the Western Digital 2 tb RE 4 had drives seem to be shoddy in performance, but could be used in the above mentioned Motherboard. The system requires at least three suitable hard drives of the same capacity for use in raid 5 mode. Western Digital has just introduced the new red series hard drive where the spec's beat the pants off the-re-series hard drives, but they don't mention the actual performance as to capabilities in a work station Desktop PC: That is in a Desktop would a Westen Digital Red hard drive equal a Caviar Black hard drive for video work and gaming or is the red hard drive just for storage in a nas box or Desktop. Can I use the 1.5 tb, or 2 tb Caviar Black in the non raid instalation, and three Western Digital red 2 tb hard drives in the raid 5 mode? :pfff: 
a c 484 V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 9:01:55 PM

The red 2TB is the excellent choice for the raid5 becasue it is designed for home/office NAS with the built in NASware technology. Here is the review (red 3TB). http://www.brightsideofnews.com/news/2012/10/8/western-...

For the WDC's non-TLER HDDs like the black one is for single drive use because even an error can cause the hard drive to drop off the RAID after a period of time.
m
l
!