Epic's Tim Sweeney demo's Unreal Engine 3 on PS3 - On Stage

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

"Sony showed several game demos to show off the PlayStation 3's
graphical brawn, including an Unreal 3 engine show-off of what appeared
to be Unreal Tournament 2007. In what must come as a relief to
developers, Epic Games' Tim Sweeney was on hand to vouch for the PS3,
saying it was "easy to program for" and that Epic had received its
first PS3 hardware two months ago. He proved the tech demo was real
time by showing it again and by manipulating the camera and zooming
in."

Notice how the Playstation 3 was able to demonstrate real time next
generation game action by the developer himself, no less, and didn't
have to resort to cheesy 2-second flashes of jittery supposed game
footage, only to blame it later on inferior Apple devkits.
3 answers Last reply
More about epic sweeney demo unreal engine stage
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Blig Merk wrote:
    > Notice how the Playstation 3 was able to demonstrate real time next
    > generation game action by the developer himself, no less, and didn't
    > have to resort to cheesy 2-second flashes of jittery supposed game
    > footage, only to blame it later on inferior Apple devkits.

    Perhaps "inferior Apple devkits" being completely incompatible with the
    Cell is the reason the PS3 devkits aren't based upon "inferior Apple
    devkits" but upon the Cell design itself.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

    Zackman <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote:
    >A *LOT* of the footage shown during the PS3 presentation was prerendered but
    >not identified as such. People were shitting their pants at the Killzone 2
    >clips, until they realized it was prerendered. Immediately after that they

    Really? They took a lot of pains to make it look realtime,
    complete with the usual FPS camera look. But it wouldn't surprise me that
    something that good looking on a console that far away was prerendered.

    Is there a chart anywhere of what was real and what wasn't? I
    believe Ninja Theory says all of Heavenly Sword was realtime.

    --
    A worker is a part-time slave. The boss says when to show up, when to leave,
    and what to do in the meantime. [...] He is free to carry his control to

    Andrew Ryan Chang wrote:

    > Really? They took a lot of pains to make it look realtime,
    > complete with the usual FPS camera look.

    Yeah, and it's almost deceptive in a way. I guess they can justify it by
    saying "this prerendered sequence is what we figure the final game might
    look like on final hardware." Fair enough -- and who knows, maybe they could
    actually get it that close -- but at least identify it as such.

    -Z-

Console Gaming PlayStation Epic Games Video Games