What should my next upgrades be?

p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Hey all,
After i finished building my computer months ago i have been thinking what my next upgrades should be. Because im one of those people who cant just finish building his pc and keep it the way it is, i have to keep upgrading and adding new and better things to it because i enjoy it. At the moment my current setup is:

Silverstone RV01
AMD Phenom ii x4 840
Gigabyte GA-990fxa-ud3
Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 8GB
OCZ ModxStream pro 700w
Seagate Barracuda 1TB ST31000524AS
Asus HD 6950 direct cu ii 2gb
LG 12X BD-R Blu-ray DVD Combo Drive
XSPC Rasa 750 RS360 Water Cooling Kit

So what parts do you gyz think i should upgrade to next? I dont really want to replace my hd 6950 just yet because i just bought it and would be a complete waste, but when i do upgrade in lets say 8 months i would probably buy a 580 or 680. I would like to go cf with what i have now but the asus hd6950's have dried up and i cant find anywhere that sells them, not even ebay!
My CPU is nice and does a good job but iv been told its only an Athlon that's re-branded as a phenom, which makes me feel i can get better performance if i upgrade. Maybe a AMD FX 4170 4-Core as an upgrade?
I dont really want to change mobos because i dont want to go through the trouble of changing ram and re-installing windows etc, and iv done lots of searching and from what iv read its quite a nice motherboard.
Should i buy another hdd for all the games, music and movies i will have in the future?
Is my psu good enough? Because i feel i can do better, like a new corsair or antec 750w or 600w for example?
Should i buy an SSD?
I want to upgrade smartly... without mindlessly spending money on unnecessary things because the thing i had before was just as good as the upgrade i bought for it. If you know what i mean.

Any input to what i should upgrade to next will be greatly appreciated :D
thaanks

Oh and im sorry if im posting in the wrong thread, i wasnt sure where to post because im talking about my whole computer and not just specific parts.

p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
Why do you think it would be a downgrade? I was also planning to oc'ing it like i did my 840. And yes I was aslo thinking of water cooling my graphics card as well, but im having a bit of trouble finding a block for a 6950, would a 6970 block fit by any chance?
I really really would love to buy one of the high end phenom ii x6 but the phenoms have all dried up as well and i cant find any, which is a shame.

possible upgrades -
an ssd
a low end nvidia card for physx, if you're into that.
later, a gfx card... may be kepler.
as for cpu, wait and see how piledriver turns out. bd bottlenecks multi gpu unless you're playing very gpu-bound games (even then it bottlenecks some) all the time. for gpu bound games, your current cpu should be fine. only thing a bd cpu would add is a bunch of l3 cache which it can't efficiently use.
physx
http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/physx
ssd
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148442
(from this month's sbm articles)

p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
I think an SSD would be a nice upgrade, but im not entirely 100% sure on what they do. From what iv read in the past they can really improve boot time. Is this the only thing that they do? Or do they help speed up the entire system? I have thought about buy a 64gb or 124gb ssd but i dont want to buy one until i entirely understand what they do.

I dont quite understand what this is... can you please explain to me what it is?

Uther39

Distinguished
OK

Upgrade your CPU to either a 1090t or 1100t, purchase on ebay, if that does not work definitely buy a 960t and unlock it to a 6 core and then OC it.

Then buy an SSD, this will require a re-installation of WIndows.

Then upgrade GPU to a single GTX680.

When are you looking to do an upgrade and which country are you in?

p000n-tang_be4r

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011

That all sound pretty good. Im from Australia btw

edit: I just took a look on eBay and there were alot more 960t's than there were 1090t and 1100t's. What would the difference be between a 960t unlocked and overclocked to 3.80-4.00ghz cmpared to a 1090t, 1100t and the cpu i have now thats overclocked to 3.8ghz? Would the 960t be better in that case because iv found one on eBay for only $135 and im quite tempted to buy it now.