Ram slots problem

lightning_rod

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
i got this problem suddenly after years of running my laptop without a problem

i started to get blue screen issue , so after days of figuring out where the problem comes from
i ended up with this:

if i remove one of the two rams no matter which dimm or which slot
everything works fine no blue screen

whenever i insert two rams at a time this problem occurs i even inserted different rams from different laptops

there r no options to change ram voltage values in bios

my windows laptop is running 2GB (2x 1GB) ddr2 rams with max of 4GB (2x 2GB) is possible as crucial website says

whats the problem with my laptop??? im guessing a motherboard problem? if so why is it that both slots work fine just not the two at a time? remember the laptop was just fine for years it all started suddenly

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

One of your module seems to have gone crazy. Run memtest. I myself has undergone this issue. This is a symptom of one of the ram to go dead in the near future.
Which one that you have to find out via memory test.

lightning_rod

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

thank u for the reply

as i mentioned above i tried diffirent rams , from my fiends' laptops , other than the ones i have , and still same problem

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

your pc may have dual/tri/quad memory configuration where ram sticks have to be identical. However since you have wrote that you have used your machine for quite a while I am not considering this fact.But this may find some necessity in your friend's case. So be sure to use another ram which matches the specs of your present provided you have any sort of dual/tri/quad channels.

And that about the 2 rams you have at present run memtest on them.

lightning_rod

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

thank u for your reply

my laptop doesnt have daul channel memory mode , and right now im running only on one ram because of this problem

i've tested both of my rams and there have been errors , weither together or one at a time , but when they r together errors just come fast and in huge amounts , i tested my friends rams on his laptop and got errors too though they work fine in his laptop , regardless what rams i use , they always work fine when i insert only one no matter which ram of the pair or which slot, that includes my rams

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

I do not think its a ram slot problem as you have tried each one of them - its not memory channel as you have said. That leaves no other choices except the ram.Can you give your exact laptop model number and your ram basic specs (the rams that you have tried on it - yours as well as your friend's)

lightning_rod

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

thank u SPEED94

laptop model number: Acer Extensa 5620G

my ram specs : DDR2 PC2-5300

my friend's ram spec : DDR2 PC2-5300 his laptop is also Acer

SPEED94

Honorable
Oct 29, 2012

Thanks.Your notebook supports 667 mhz ddr2 ram with upto 4 gb max. So I suess there's no problem in that. I was also hoping to ask if mistakenly you or your friend had used High density rams but since you are saying the rams are from acer i am not asking it. Honestly I am running out of ideas. Bios update may be a solution but as you are saying you have been using the sticks before.....Sirecely if its a ram slot problem there's no other ways than to take it to the service center.
I do not know about laptops (as I do not have any) but you can try clearing the BIOS by shorting the CMOS battery provided this is the result of some BIOS settings mismanagement.