Sign in with
Your question

SWTOR on an Optiplex GX 280

Last response: in Systems
December 24, 2011 5:12:21 PM

Hello,

I don't expect any good news to come out of this, but thought I would try. I've got the following

ell Optiplex GX280 Desktop PC STA - Pentium 4 3.2GHz, 2GB DDR2, 40GB HDD, CD.

I have an attached 8x DVD drive and a few USB HDD's attached as well.

I tried running SWTOR on it and it obviously failed, most likely due to the graphics card.

I know it's an old dinosaur, but is there any graphic card that I could upgrade to that would make it useful again? If not ... I get it, but before I spend money on a low-profile graphics card (it's the desktop model) I wanted to check

Thanks for any help and advice.

More about : swtor optiplex 280

a b U Graphics card
December 24, 2011 6:43:10 PM

At first I thought this was going to be about the gtx280 but now I see what it really is. It sounds like you know the answer but need someone to tell you that you need a new desktop as you have certainly exceeded its limitations. You'll need a new cpu and graphics if you want to meet SWTOR's minimum requirements. More than likely that will also include a new psu, ram, motherboard, and a decent sized/speed hdd couldn't hurt.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 25, 2011 12:12:02 AM

+1 Crewton.

If you are thinking of building then this was a nice build IMO. $650 http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i5-overclock-p... plus you'd need another $100 for windows 7. (Less if you are a college student who can get windows cheap.)

If you post over on the new build forum you can get nice parts lists for any price range.

If you want a pre-built then also look at manufacturer refurbs. Sometimes you can get the same system (with only a 3 month warantee) for 1/2 to 2/3 the price. For servers this makes a lot of sense because they are so easy to modify. e.g. something like this: Elite h8-1010t - Core i5 2300 2.8GHz 6GB 1TB
http://www.ubid.com/HP_Pavilion_Elite_h8-1010t_Intel_Co...
plus a HD6770 ? for maybe $450 + $100 for the 6770 ? should work with the small 300 Watts psu in it.
m
l
!