Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Would the CPU be running at its fullest potential?

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2013 8:20:49 AM

I was doing some reading earlier on an Intel DZ68ZV motherboard, Now their website says that with a bios update, it can easily run third generation Cpu's without a problem.

Now I'm just curious, would the Cpu lose any features or speed by doing this? Sure the board can make it work, But do you actually get all the features of the Ivy bridge technology by running it through a gen 2 board? Or are there some drawbacks to doing this?

Like would it function as well as a 3rd generation motherboard would?

And would you lose the benefit of PCI-E 3.0?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 9:47:41 AM

Shadow_07 said:
I was doing some reading earlier on an Intel DZ68ZV motherboard, Now their website says that with a bios update, it can easily run third generation Cpu's without a problem.

Now I'm just curious, would the Cpu lose any features or speed by doing this? Sure the board can make it work, But do you actually get all the features of the Ivy bridge technology by running it through a gen 2 board? Or are there some drawbacks to doing this?

Like would it function as well as a 3rd generation motherboard would?

And would you lose the benefit of PCI-E 3.0?

Your mobo has PCIe 2.0 so no bios update can let you take the advantage of PCIe 3.0. but yes, you can fit in a PCI 3.0 card with some bandwith compromise but its another topic.That talking about the cpu if intel says that with a update you can use the ivys then you should be able to use all the technologies involved too. thats the best I can guess though...
February 6, 2013 10:46:58 AM

SPEED94 said:
Your mobo has PCIe 2.0 so no bios update can let you take the advantage of PCIe 3.0. but yes, you can fit in a PCI 3.0 card with some bandwith compromise but its another topic.That talking about the cpu if intel says that with a update you can use the ivys then you should be able to use all the technologies involved too. thats the best I can guess though...
So even if the CPU supports PCI-E 3.0 It is still going to output as PCI-E 2.0 because of the motherboard?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 10:53:56 AM

PCIe 3.0 is a property of your mobo. A cpu can't decide upon that.All it can do is to be compatible as much as it can. I have even seen some even using PCIe 3.0 cards in PCIe 3.0 slots with a Pentium D pesler!!!!
February 6, 2013 11:22:19 AM

Best answer selected by Shadow_07.
February 6, 2013 11:23:34 AM

Well I feel slightly better now about upgrading if it comes to that, Anyway Thanks you were a big help.
!