Video card issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011
i installed my 5670 1gb into my system and after boot up i get a pixalated images that freezes my system and goes black. ive already installed latest drivers and all which hasnt resolved the issue. i continue to get a message from windows saying "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered" but it continues to become pixalated and i get a blue screen. should i RMA the card and get a replacement or is it a driver issue

Solution
I'd start by confirming the problem.

1. Start up in safe mode..... if its OK, driver problem.
2. Uninstall the drivers
3. Use Ccleaner to remove all things AT from the registry
4. Reboot
5. Tell windows to take a hike if it wants to install anything for you
6. Install the latest drivers.
Hello... do you get that in the BIO's and boot screen? if so then yes your card has a problem... if it's only windows... might still be a driver problem.

Could also be overheating of GPU... poor Heatsink mounting? inspect your Heatsink mounting on the Video card... Some cards you have access to the philips head screws to remove it easily... I have had this in the past... with a new card.

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

as far as i know its happens only in windows cause thats how far i can get till the screen starts to tear apart and become pixaletd and blue screen. it worked like smooth butter before but now its giving me problems. on two of my machines. the heatsink on the back gets pretty warm but not to hot.

also why would i want to remove the heatsink on the back idk if thats a good idk. my card is a xfx radeon 5670 i should of mentioned that before.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150467

Hello... well i'm a hands on maintenance guy... and not afraid to take something a part or take a closer look at something...rather than sending something in for repair or exchange... like I said... seen this simple heat related problem on graghic cards before... they tend to mass produce and apply or mis-apply thermal paste and heatsinks do not get seated well... and over heating is what destroys GPU's... or causes pixelation in windows... but then agian so do some drivers... and Clock speeds.

That isn't a very big heatsink or fan on that card... so thermal contact to the GPU and memory needs to be excellent at those clock settings.

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

ok so you recommend me removing the small heatsink and applying termal grease/paste to it?

Hello... lay some non conductive material down first... and do not have socks on with rubbing to the carpet... don't be creating a static charge when handling your graphics card... also if this is a warranty item do not peel back any graphics stickers on the card for access to the philips head screws on the bottom...

Pretty easy after that... remove the screws to the fan assembly... and using your hands pull the fan assembly from the GPU and thermal paste... Once removed... determine and collect any extra thermal paste for re-use... there might be some on the memory chips too or thermal pads... do not try to destroy them or remove them...

Use rubbing Alcohol to wipe clean the GPU and heatsink... inspect contact surfaces and inspect clearence and re-fit the fan assembly to the GPU... Look for any fitting/obstruction problems before re-appling thermal paste back on...

If the thermal paste has hardened and not re-useable... get new from local store... it should always be wet and plyable for the best thermal conduction... the least thermal paste the better... it is used to filled the air gaps between the metal parts... That is why people will take time to finely sand and polish their heatsinks and CPU/GPU's... and get the best metal to metal contact for maximum heat exchange.

if no obstructions and good fit... no massive space between the GPU/memory/heatsink... re-apply just a thin layer to all the mating components...rubbing it into the GPU and Heatsink... even a dab on those memory thermal pads, if your card used them...

Check fit agian and determine if the thermal grease is in contact with every component... if good re-assemble and re-install in your computer.

I'd start by confirming the problem.

1. Start up in safe mode..... if its OK, driver problem.
2. Uninstall the drivers
3. Use Ccleaner to remove all things AT from the registry
4. Reboot
5. Tell windows to take a hike if it wants to install anything for you
6. Install the latest drivers.

Solution

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

thanks but that seems like a lot of work for someone inxperince as me. i shouldnt have to go through all that for a graphic card. putting together the pc was hard enough now this.

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

i'll try this to see if this works. hopefully it'll get the job done.

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

thank you my good sir for your help and i tried jacks response and it all worked out. just had to uninstall the drivers from driver manager in safe mode. then installed the installition disk(didnt want the newest drivers since i thought that was causing the problems) but after it installed and a few test restarts it worked perfectly. 3 days straight of issues now it all went away. im glad you guys took the time to respond. thank you all

lilhippo9

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2011

it worked YAY :love: i didnt do everything you said but uninstalling it worked THANKS FOR HELP. hope i never have to do it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.