Will a radeon 6770 work in a pci express 1.0-1.1 on a MSI G41M-P25

G

Will a radeon 6770 work in a pci express 1.0-1.1 on a MSI G41M-P25 if not what 1gb ddr5 graphics cards will be the better to work with the ati radion eah6770

G

Awsome thankyou for the welcome and thankyou for the info, this is also using iten core 2 quad q8300. still the same outcome?

Reticulum

G

not sure or sure it will?

G

ahh right ok so if it doesnt post, then its a no? or can some bios settings tweek this? im trying to find if anyone else has the same setup? or what card would be best suited 1gb ddr5 for the board i have?

As i said above, no problem at all... PCIE 2.0 is the same as 2.1 from Wiki
PCI Express 2.1 supports a large proportion of the management, support, and troubleshooting systems planned for full implementation in PCI Express 3.0. However, the speed is the same as PCI Express 2.0.
The PCIE 2.1 card will operate normally on the PCIE 1.0 or 1.1 but at the full bandwidth given by the PCIE 1.0 or 1.1

Just update your Bios to the latest, and no problems will occur.

From Wiki
PCIe 2.0 motherboard slots are fully backward compatible with PCIe v1.x cards. PCIe 2.0 cards are also generally backward compatible with PCIe 1.x motherboards, using the available bandwidth of PCI Express 1.1. Overall, graphic cards or motherboards designed for v2.0 will work with the other being v1.1 or v1.0.

G

Thats awsome i hope so, i have the latest bios, already done, bit of a budget system ive managed to cook up and hoping to put the 6770 in it. just got the asus royal night through today! great heatsink, doing its job ;-) just need to add the graphics ;-) thanks for your help, i shall purchase one and hope, if it doesnt for what ever reason i shall let you guys know for future but im hoping it does ;-)

Reticulum!

I wouldn't let you try & see first, wouldn't recommend it or say it "should" work if i'm not sure. The GPU will work 100% pretty well in your MOBO based on my experience and reviews on the other sites. Here's a guy installed his HD 5870 PCIE 2.1 on his PCIE 1.0 slot
http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/hardware/33539-pci-express-2-1-graphics-card-pci-express-1-0-slot.html

What you really should worry about is the bandwidth, if you're going to do gaming and some GPU intensive task you should upgrade your system.

It varies depending on the motherboard. Just because some or even most people successfully install 2.1 cards on 1.x slots does not mean they will all work. There certainly have been people who have had a problem with it. If there is an issue with the board and 2.1 cards a BIOS update can correct it but not all boards have a recent enough update to deal with the problem.
It very likely will work fine but unless you have spotted people saying 2.1 cards run on the OPs specific motherboard or you've checked and there's an appropriate BIOS update then you cannot tell him for certain it will not have problems.

that's the general of it. i've seen a few threads in this forum that people with PCI-E 1.x having difficulty to make cards with PCI-E 2.1 to work with their mobo. it is true that PCI-E have backward compatibility but in case of PCI-E 2.1 mobo with PCI-E 1.x need BIOS update to make it work. the problem is some mobo manufacturer might not release this update to some of their mobo due the support for said mobo has been discontinued. personally i think this might the reason why nvidia did not incorporate PCI-E 2.1 standards to their 400 and 500 series of card

Well, that would be really sounds strange that a Native PCIE MOBO doesn't have a support for that cause even PCIE 3.0 is said to be backward compatible with both previous generations of PCIE.

G

acording to the test sheet running on xp for my motherboard a Radeon HD4890 which is pcie 2.1 works fine? decissions lol

TRENDING THREADS