SeaSonic Power Supply Swap Out Questions

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
Today my SeaSonic 1000 watt Platinum psu arrived. I already have a SeaSonic X750, can I just use the cables already connected to the motherboard and GPU and just plug them into the new unit with out re-wiring everything? That way the only cables I would need to add are the additional 6 and 8 pin's for my second gpu.

Solution
Yep, the connectors are keyed and should have the same PIN out. Just make sure the wires are in the same location at the connector going to the PSU.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009

Thanks emerald, That's all I needed to know.

tinmann

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
I installed the new Seasonic 1000 watt psu and my 2nd GTX 480 and the only cable I had to replace was the 24 pin power cable. The 24 pin on the 1000 watt psu has 2 extra pins on the connector that attaches to the unit itself. At first I hit the start button and nothing happened. NADA. I pulled the 24 pin motherboard connector and noticed it was smaller than the one supplied with the 1000 watt psu. I changed that and was up and running in no time.

Now all I have to do is install my SSD. I got a Corsair Force 3 120gb sata 3 SSD but have been holding off installing it because it's the holidays and I just don't feel like d/l ing all my steam games and doing a clean install when there is gaming to be done. Thanks everyone for your help. Merry Christmas!