My new PC isn't so fast..Why??

Status
Not open for further replies.

chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
Friends, I've built a new PC last week and it isn't as fast as expected..

Issues (I think):

1.My motherboard supports SATA 6gb/s and My HDD also does but I'm not getting more data transfer rate. (I'm getting 30 MB/s while copying files using default windows copy.
2.My friend with 1st gen i3 with veryold gpu gets more framerate for GTA 4 while I don't get frame rate (average 15 fps in benchmark).
3.For win XP, when I connect my monitor using HDMI cable, The desktop isn't appearing full screen.(I mean there isn't display on entire monitor. borders are in black colour upto 1 inch)
4. The startup times and shutdown time is looong..(more than 1 minute)

My PC specs:

Intel i5 2500k Processor
Asus p8h67 M LX Mother board
Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Internal Hard Drive (ST31000524AS)
Transcend 4 GB DDR3 RAM
Nekolo 700w PSU
Acer 22 inch monitor Resolution 1920 x 1080
Nvidia GT 520 GPU

I've inserted the HDD cable in 6Gb/s slot in Mobo and Even after inserting HDMI cable, Realtek doesn't show HDMI output option.Why?????
Guys help me out

bucknutty

Distinguished
You dont have a video card listed. The gpu built into the i5 is great for office work and internet browsing but it cant play games. You need a GPU, a AMD HD6770 or Nvidia 550 at the least.

If your not getting good HD transfer speeds try getting the newest mother board drivers from Asus.

Winnick

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
1) a standard HD cannot transfer data much faster than 30MB/sec, it does not matter what connection standard it supports.
To use the ever reliable car anology - it doesn't matter if you drive on a dirt road or on a 4 lane highway if your max speed is 30mph - Sata is the road your using not the speed of your harddrive :)

2) frame rate in games is also very much dependent on the graphics card you use and which one your friend is using - CPU is only one part of the equation.

4) This is caused by speed of harddisk and number of services that run during startup - you processor has very little to do with that

On HDD - There is no difference in performance between a SATA II HDD On a sata II interface than a SATA III on a SATA III interface other than the very short Burst speed.
Simple reason is that the throughput is Limited to Platter Density and RPMs, which DO NOT saturate a SATA II port - hense no real gain. This is more a marketing ploy that just says it will work fine on a sata III port, NOT that it will preform faster.

Want Faster Boot time and program loading times you have to move up to a SSD which is about 20 -> 40 times faster than a HDD. Has a cost premium as much higher cost per gigabyte.

On screen, My quess is that you have NOT set the output resulution to match the native resolution on the monitor. With LCD panels when the resolution is lower than native then you get a smaller screen display. If you have the iGPU resolution set to 1920 x 1080 and still have a smaller screen display, then it's most likely a monitor adjustment..

Game performance is based on the GPU in most cases. I did not see a dedicated GPU in your configuration so you are limited to the performance of the HD3000 (iGPU) - This is NOT a good GPU for Gameing. Get a "REAL" GPU.

chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012

The Screen resolution is 1920x1080 for both win7 and win XP.. My win 7 is fine but that problem only appears with win XP and that too......Only when I connect my monitopr using HDMI cable.. When I connect it using VGA cable, its fine. No matter what resolution I set, the resolution is changing but the black blank screen doesn't dis appear.

@ xbeater
I know NOT how you or the OP derived your HDD performance.
Which benchmark used??. Was it using windows transfer rate, if so, what the source drive was as this would then be determined primarily by the slowest drive.
Benchmark programs are generally a poor source; in some cases it’s like comparing apples and organs. Example:
.. Comparing Sequential read/writes vs random 4 K read writes. In real life coping a Very large Video file = Sequential, on the other hand if Just coping a large (MBs) of files then = 4 K Random
.. Does benchmark use readily compressible data such ATTO uses or data that is not compressible such as AS SSD uses. AS SSD is much closer to Real life than ATTO
As I could not find a “Good” review of the specified drive, I did find this. From the Quote the Avg read/writes for a Seagate drive was around 84/98 MB/Sec. BUT this was for readily compressible data a Sequential. True performance would be much lower.
Quotes:
The Seagate HDD had an average read rate of 98MB/sec and a write time of 87MB/sec.
Using HDTach, the read/write results were quite different. OCZ's drive showed a 196MB/sec read rate, the Seagate, 84.6MB/sec.
End Quote

@ bucknutty – Latest Intel Driver is 10.8 (or was), But that would not improve performance of a mechanical HDD over say the older 10.6 driver.

@ Winnick – Your analogy is backwards – More like a Moped on a two lane road can NOT go faster on a 4-lane road, need to get a real car to increase speed and take advantage of the faster road.

skaz

Distinguished

The SATA interface is just that, only an interface. A typical mechanical hard drive isn't going to saturate a SATA 3 connection. 30 MB/s does seem low for a mechanical hard drive none the less. But is still with in "range". And this is also largely dependent on the types of files your copying. I would suggest running some benchmarks like ATTO http://www.attotech.com/products/product.php?sku=Disk_Benchmark and recording your findings from that instead.

Not sure what his "veryold" GPU is but there are plenty that would consider some GPUs as "old" that can outperform lower end new gpus. The 520 is a low end gpu. You can expect less then stellar performance depending on the game and settings with that card. GTA 4 is also known to be a system taxing game.

This confuses me. You say there "isn't" a display, but then say there are borders in black up to one inch? Can't help you there, sorry.

One minute can feel like forever. I suggest customizing your BIOS (only if your comfortable) first and setting things up like quickboot, first boot drive, no splash screen, what PCI slot to use as display first. These things will help shave off some seconds. Then I would recommend disabling any start up programs you do not need

Hope I did, good luck brother. :D

On GPU (I'm NOT a gamer), from what I found I would aggree with skaz. Did find this
quote:
The GT 520 consistently beats the DDR3 based HD 6450 running at 625 MHz while the GTX is running at 810. You can get playable frame-rates from many high-end games which is impressive for a card in the $50-$60 price range; though you are going to have to do some work under the hood to get the FPS of to 30 or more. Turn the resolution down to 1280x1024—No AA, and perhaps sacrifice a full screen view in some games. Though a game player in this segment would expect to sacrifice some luxuries in favor of a playable FPS. .
End Quote.

More on HDD transfer.
Down load AS SSD, install/run. DO NOT need to run benchmark, unless you want to. When opening the program look at the upper left where it shows the Driver. If it shows pcide = Bad, you could improve performance by switching it to msahsci for the driver.
If Pcide you will need to 1) edit your registry, reboot and set your MB Bios to ahci
More info on this:
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=llsin&gs_nf=1&pq=nvidia%20gt%20520%20review&cp=1&gs_id=14&xhr=t&q=change+ide+to+ahci+windows+7&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=cide+to+ahci&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=50aeccfec5fc8449&biw=1123&bih=658

Added: @ skaz - While ATTO is what most manuf use in advertizing the various drives, I find AS SSD (I know it is primarily for the Much faster SSDs) more representative of what a user will see in real life day-to-day usage. Your comments on how to shave some seconds are vary valid..

mikes1992

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012

Yeah I agree about the patch for GTA 4. I couldn't even run the game on my GTS 450, I benchmarked at 60fps but in game it was more like 10fps (unpatched). I never got to patch it because it wasn't my game and I was just testing my new setup.

I have a WD 750gb Sata 3 and when moving files It says it's running at 30mb/s. Also don't forget when your moving/copying files to different locations on your HDD the actuator has to keep sweeping back and forward to read then write which can cause it to show slower readings then the actual reading and writing speeds. I personally don't feel that the HDD effects performance too much apart from when new textures or levels are loading. Skyrim takes about 2-6 seconds to load a new area on my computer so it's not really too bad, It's actually pretty annoying when I'm looking at a 3D model or am trying to read some info provided to keep you entertained in the loading process XD.

^ Minor clarification:
Quote: Also don't forget when your moving/copying files to different locations on your HDD the actuator has to keep sweeping back and forward to read then write which can cause it to show slower readings End quote.
If this is writing / moving files from one HDD drive to another HDD it is true. BUT NOT true if moving say from one directory on the SAME HDD as The only thing that is changed is the FAT pointers to the files - the Files themself are not physically moved from one sector to a different sector.

chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
I just took GTA 4 as an example for my PC's performance.. It doesn't matter if all the settings are high or low, this happens:

resolution 1920x1080 and all settings high- Too bad
Resolution 1600x****or 1366x768 or 1280 x **** or 1024 x768 it doesn't matter as the frame rate is same.

How can this happen?? The framerate for 1366x 768 at high = the framerate for 800 x 600 or 1024 x 768 at high.... No change

I was speaking of startup time coz it is a new PC where there are no programs installed except drivers and Adobe reader......

Some times, PC is getting jerky..while listening to music and copying files or installing, the audio becomes jerky. I used to have a Dual core PC which was the same so I've spent 900 usd to get this PC..

P.S. I've tried updating BIOS and when I restart, It shows Boot failed, revert bios
ad the PC didn't start till I pressed Restore Defaults

chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
This piece of crap is irritating me..Even the firefox crashes every few mins!!!!!!
In the Bios the HDD mode was IDE mode but when I change it to AHCI mode, The OS fails to load and system restarts...So I had to force myself to leave it in IDE mode

chandradhar

Honorable
Mar 4, 2012
The CPU meter shows 5% CPU usage and 60% RAM usage but firefox is taking a few seconds to minimise and maximize, When opened more than 3 tabs, firefox hangs for a while shows not responding but in a few seconds it is normal...

When I put a file to copy(same HDD just different partitions) and a game setup, the computer hangs for a while, the playback will become too jerky it just produces bloody sound like grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr all the time until I restart this thing.
So now, any suggestions???

JuvenileJonesy

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976 for help with changing IDE mode to AHCI mode through Windows before changing in Bios. If using Windows XP they recommend a clean os installation. The Windows 7 fix requires use of regedit.

bucknutty

Distinguished
All your issues sound like drivers to me. Update all drivers from the Asus site. Before you can change the IDE to toAHCI in the bios you have to change it in the windows registry. Lastly the 520 is just not a gaming card. A 4 year old 8800gt would outperform it in games. I did not see if you stated if u did a clean install of windows or not? Some times when u migrate a windows install from an old mother board to a new one you have instabilities.

Status
Not open for further replies.