Lower fps with new drivers

cherubking

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
GeForce 285.62 Driver seems to be slowing my system down a good deal...is anyone else having a problem with it? maybe theres some options somewhere im missing with the new driver thats putting the brakes on

a drop of 20-30 fps in most games just seems kind of crazy unless they are just trying to get people with older gen cards to upgrade :??:

cherubking

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
i did with the beta driver..the beta driver was even worse. it cut my fps in half for some reason at random intervals..the latest driver cuts into my FPS a lot less than the beta but stays steady rather than giving me my frames then taking them away liek the beta had done

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
im using the latest whql and they are ok for me, i always use this method:

1. uninstall 3d drivers and physx via control panel/uninstall program
2. delete certain Nvidia folders in windows explorer (which folders will depend on your OS version)
3. device manager - uninstall GTX 460 drivers
4. reboot in safemode and run driversweep to remove traces of nvidia drivers left over
5. optional - i run cccleaner at this stage to remove crap from recycle bin
6. reboot in normal mode and install new driver

chaz

cherubking

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
seems to be running fine now...it may have been something other than the driver although with the newer driver i seem to be getting an increase from 45c to 48c at idle...not sure what the hecks up with that but looking around seems im not the only one having these sorts of issues

about the increase idle temperature if i'm not mistaken the problem exist since 280 driver families being introduce. nvidia said the sensor reading from the previous driver is not accurate and the new driver families (280 and above) should fix the issue. in your case it means that while the the previous driver reporting core temp is 45c the actual temp is 48c. well that's what they say but so far i don't have such a problem when moving from 275 to 280 driver families.

cherubking

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2011
well the 280 driver works just fine..its the 285 thats giving me the problems...and it was stated that the 285 driver was suposedly the better driver for the newer games that are being released ( bf3 actually gives you a notification if your driver is below 285 ) i supose i will just have to deal with it until a new driver is released or deal with having to click ok/cancel 40 times before i launch a game...strange thing is it does this for both of my systems, all my hardware in the systems are exactly the same but the video card one is a 9800gtx+ the other is a 460