Square Enix supports XB360 with Final Fantasy 11 (FF Online)

Last response: in Video Games
May 17, 2005 2:51:23 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,rec.games.video.sony,microsoft.public.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.final-fantasy (More info?)

Final Fantasy 11 aka Final Fantasy Online for Xbox 360.

and more Square Enix games to come.

they also showed a realtime Xbox 360 demo of what a future RPG might
look like.

no article. no link. just know that it is true.
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 6:18:21 AM

Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:

> Final Fantasy 11 aka Final Fantasy Online for Xbox 360.

Big freakin' deal. They showed FFXII on the PS3. Xbox is just getting a
rehash of a shitty MMORPG.

> and more Square Enix games to come.

Perhaps, no guarantee.

> they also showed a realtime Xbox 360 demo of what a future RPG might
> look like.

It did look truly amazing.

-Z-
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:09:04 PM

Zackman wrote:
> Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Final Fantasy 11 aka Final Fantasy Online for Xbox 360.
>
> Big freakin' deal. They showed FFXII on the PS3. Xbox is just getting
> rehash of a shitty MMORPG.

I don't think we're thinking about the same FFXI. The FFXI I'm thinking
of has 600K subscribers, is currently the 3rd largest MMO, was for a
long time THE largest MMO (until WoW and Lineage 2 came out), has 2
expansion packs, and is the first ever cross-platform, cross-continent
MMORPG in existence.

Everyone I know that has played it indicate it's from decent to great,
so I think you're lowballing it a little bit here. Also, FFXI and FFXII
are totally uncomparable.

There are a few issues that remain:

1) is it for 360 or XBOX1?
2) will the 2 expansion packs be released along with it or separate?
3) is there a monthly fee (most likely yes)
4) will you be able to play with current FFXI PS2 and PC players (most
likely no)

> > and more Square Enix games to come.
>
> Perhaps, no guarantee.

indeed not, it will depend on how well 360 do in Japan this time around
Anonymous
May 17, 2005 9:18:13 PM

Eiji Hayashi wrote:

> I don't think we're thinking about the same FFXI. The FFXI I'm
thinking
> of has 600K subscribers, is currently the 3rd largest MMO, was for a
> long time THE largest MMO (until WoW and Lineage 2 came out), has 2
> expansion packs, and is the first ever cross-platform,
cross-continent
> MMORPG in existence.

What's up, Eiji? You're hardly around anymore. Standards have been
raised quite a bit since FFXI has been released. Look at how much
Everquest 2 has been criticized even though most agree that it's much
better than the original.

> Everyone I know that has played it indicate it's from decent to
great,
> so I think you're lowballing it a little bit here. Also, FFXI and
FFXII
> are totally uncomparable.

You can certainly compare the impacts of both games on the gaming world
even if the contents are different. Clearly, single player FF games
matter to many more people than multiplayer FF games. A new single
player FF game on the Xbox360 would help its cause much more than a
multiplayer game.

> indeed not, it will depend on how well 360 do in Japan this time
around

It probably will bomb once again, since most Japanese gamers are
probably like you.
May 18, 2005 12:24:23 AM

"Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message

> There are a few issues that remain:
>
> 1) is it for 360 or XBOX1?

360

> 2) will the 2 expansion packs be released along with it or separate?
> 3) is there a monthly fee (most likely yes)
> 4) will you be able to play with current FFXI PS2 and PC players (most
> likely no)

You will be able to play with current PS2 and PC players.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:11:28 AM

Longhorn wrote:
> "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca> wrote in message
> >
> > There are a few issues that remain:
> >
> > 1) is it for 360 or XBOX1?
>
> 360

> > 2) will the 2 expansion packs be released along with it or
separate?
> > 3) is there a monthly fee (most likely yes)
> > 4) will you be able to play with current FFXI PS2 and PC players
(most
> > likely no)
>

> You will be able to play with current PS2 and PC players.

link? not that I'm doubting you or anything but there's not a single
LIVE game that I'm aware where you can play with another player with a
different version, much less on a competing system
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:52:33 PM

Rob Browning wrote:
> On 18 May 2005 05:24:55 -0700, "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca>
> wrote:
>
> >before MS get more support. But on the other hand, the lack of
> >appreciation may be due to the fact that there is like ZERO support
for
> >those games for the XBOX in the first place, so there is not much
for
> >the audience to appreciate. If they like RPGs, they most likely
> >would've bought another console in the first place. It's a vicious
> >cycle that perhaps Blue Dragon can break.
>
> If they like Eastern RPGs, you mean. The XBox is definitely the best
> place to go for Western RPGs on a console, like the KOTOR games,
> Fable, and Jade Empire.

I wouldn't say best since most western RPGs can be had on the PC.. but
yes, I'm talking about console/jrpgs here since the topic at hand is
Final Fantasy
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:32:53 PM

DarkSheer wrote:
> Rob Browning wrote:
> > On 17 May 2005 17:09:04 -0700, "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca>
> > wrote:

> >> I don't think we're thinking about the same FFXI. The FFXI I'm
> >> thinking of has 600K subscribers, is currently the 3rd largest
MMO,
> >> was for a
> >
> > FFXI's official numbers haven't been updated since around the time
EQ2
> > and WoW came out. I wonder why?
> >
> >> long time THE largest MMO (until WoW and Lineage 2 came out), has
2

> > FFXI was never bigger than Lineage 1, not even close.
>
> Not to mention the biggie, EQ1. It still has a huge user base. And
> expansions are still comming out.
>
> Ryan

www.mmogchart.com

yes.. FFXI is bigger than EQ1, it has been bigger for quite some time
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:57:44 PM

Rob Browning wrote:
> On 17 May 2005 17:09:04 -0700, "Eiji Hayashi" <linm@mcmaster.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Zackman wrote:

>>> Big freakin' deal. They showed FFXII on the PS3. Xbox is just
>>> getting a rehash of a shitty MMORPG.
>>
>> I don't think we're thinking about the same FFXI. The FFXI I'm
>> thinking of has 600K subscribers, is currently the 3rd largest MMO,
>> was for a
>
> FFXI's official numbers haven't been updated since around the time EQ2
> and WoW came out. I wonder why?
>
>> long time THE largest MMO (until WoW and Lineage 2 came out), has 2
>
> FFXI was never bigger than Lineage 1, not even close.

Not to mention the biggie, EQ1. It still has a huge user base. And
expansions are still comming out.

Ryan
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:42:03 AM

Eiji Hayashi wrote:
> DarkSheer wrote:
>> Rob Browning wrote:

>>> FFXI's official numbers haven't been updated since around the time
>>> EQ2 and WoW came out. I wonder why?

>>> FFXI was never bigger than Lineage 1, not even close.
>>
>> Not to mention the biggie, EQ1. It still has a huge user base. And
>> expansions are still comming out.
>>
>> Ryan
>
> www.mmogchart.com
>
> yes.. FFXI is bigger than EQ1, it has been bigger for quite some time

Right, but considering how old it is, it's still impressive.

Ryan
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 9:22:32 AM

brun132001 wrote:
> Eiji Hayashi wrote:
>
> > usenet is dead.. or dying. There isn't nearly as much traffic as it
> > used to be. I've been posting mostly on game boards now.
>
> What good gaming boards do you know of? I think that Usenet is going
> to degenerate further since the new consoles are going to be launched
> soon.

I'm pretty much only on the gamefaq boards now, since that's like one
of the biggest. I used to be on the magicbox board cause that's mostly
an import gaming board, but there aren't many ppl there

> I don't think that the Xbox's current demoggraphics is not the
problem
> FF fans would buy a Xbox360 if the next FF is available on it. It
> doesn't even have to be exclusive, just multiplatform. I think your
> explanation below is more indicative of the Xbox's problems.

it's tied into it. low support->fewer RPG players->unattractive
demographics->low support. It's a cycle. Demographics isn't the cause,
but rather an effect.

> Xbox/Xbox360 are not viable consoles for Japanese gamers because the
> Japanese developers are not helping MS make a console viable for

there are 2 possible explainations: 1) lack of games they like, or 2)
they just don't like American consoles period. If it's the former, MS
can do something about it, if it's the latter, there's really not much
MS can do since you can't force people to buy your console

> Japanese gamers. FF/MGS/RE fans are not going to stop buying those
> sequels just because they come out on an American console. I don't

Difficult to say. DOA3 sold a mere 200K in Japan. I could've sworn DOA2
sold more than that (not sure.. no #s).

> know why the Japanese companies refuse to make many of their games
> multiplatform, even if they aren't willing to give MS exclusives.

because in general the Japanese developer business model is based on
exclusives, not multiplatform. It always has been. The vast majority of
Japanese developed games are exclusives, just as the vast majority of
NA developed games are multiplatform. It's just two different ways of
doing business. They'd rather spend the extra effort in porting in
coming up with a new game. I personally like their model more because
it means more turnover of games. On the whole Japanese developers are
more productive because they don't have to worry about spending the
time porting it. From the NA gamer perspective, it's sometimes not as
easy to see this, that's because only a fraction of what the developers
make actually makes it out of Japan, I would say a good 1/3 to 1/2 of
them never make it out of the country.

> Amercian companies have been making fantastic multiplatform games for
> long time now. Ubisoft, Rockstar, EA have all made great
multiplatform
> games that are often of higher quality than exclusives. Also, Soul
> Calibur 2 was one of the best fighting games ever made despite being
> multiplatform game. I personally don't think that MS or Nintendo

many would argue that SC2 isn't as good as SC1

> should bother with a company like Squaresoft if all Squaresoft offers
> is garbage that Sony doesn't want. BTW, what is Blue Dragon?

The first true jRPG (I think) on a XBOX console, developed by FF
creator Sakaguchi, who was exiled from SE for producing the bomb that
is Spirit Within. Sakaguchi left, formed his own studio Mistwalker, and
is now 3rd party. Blue Dragon is also suppose to feature the artwork of
Akira Toriyama of Dragon Ball fame. This may push some consoles in
Japan.

> I'm just messing around as I have some free time before school starts
> in a couple of months. I probably won't have time to post in the
next
> two to four years after this summer. I think I've probably played
too
> many games lately as videogaming has started to bore me, so I'm
> spending some of my free time talking about games instead of playing
> them.

well.. on the whole my talking about it has increased (though not in
usenet) somewhat but is still fairly constant. I'm trying to clear some
backlogs of games sitting here, unfortunately when a game takes over 20
hours, and you work full time, it's kinda hard. Finished God of War,
Digital Devil Saga 2 recently and I'm trying to work my way through
Shining Force, about 36 hours in.
May 20, 2005 5:54:24 AM

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> Radeon350@yahoo.com wrote:
>
>> Final Fantasy 11 aka Final Fantasy Online for Xbox 360.
>
> Big freakin' deal. They showed FFXII on the PS3. Xbox is just getting a
> rehash of a shitty MMORPG.

no, they showed FFXII on PS2, not PS3. even though it was at the Sony
PS3 press conference, what they showed of FF12 was definitally for PS2, it
was the CG and realtime cut-scenes. FF12 is for PS2, not PS3. duh.

what they showed for PS3 was a realtime technical demo of FFVII 's intro
that was originally CG on PS1
Anonymous
May 20, 2005 8:48:56 AM

Rob Browning wrote:
> Some news that may be of interest to the people posting in this
> thread:
>
> 1. FFXI for XBox 360 will be a straight port with no graphics
> upgrades. In fact, the port was originally for the XBox but
> Microsoft's strict policy against third-party networks at the time
> kept it from happening. I guess this means that MS isn't getting
much
> of anything as far as FF is concerned.
>
> 2. Mistwalker's two games won't be coming out for at least a year
> after launch. One of them is planned for a year after launch; the
> other two years after launch. Sakaguchi would not reveal which is
> which.
>
> Rob
> ploovTeHSPaeMBLoKuR@charter.net

WHAT? link?