GPRS comms

Last response: in Technologies
May 27, 2004 1:07:04 AM

Hi, I need to develop an application (Windows 2000 PC based) to
communicate (to collect data) with data loggers (which have gsm - via
siemens TC45 cellular engine).

As far as I understand, there are three options for communications:
1. call from PC (using a gsm or normal modem) to
the data logger (using TAPI or AT command set to dial out)
(like HyperTerminal on Windows)
2. SMS
3. GPRS

Can anyone give ideas about how to implement GPRS communications support
in my PC application?

Any ideas and or pointers to information would be greatly appreciated.

Also, Is it possible to initiate communications (via GPRS) from a PC via
internet (i.e without using a GSM modem with GPRS support at the PC end)?

If yes, would GPRS MT (mobile terminate) be used for it? is it already
supported by gsm networks?

More about : gprs comms

Anonymous
May 27, 2004 1:07:05 AM

"Jonas Hei" <maps_263@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:o pr8mfd2ftr0m89z@fx1025...
> Also, Is it possible to initiate communications (via GPRS) from a PC via
> internet (i.e without using a GSM modem with GPRS support at the PC end)?
>
> If yes, would GPRS MT (mobile terminate) be used for it? is it already
> supported by gsm networks?

I am not an expert on this, but as I understand it, there are different
levels of GPRS service. At the lower levels the terminal can only connect
out on port #80 to specific addresses within the carrier's network. At the
higher levels the terminal has full internet access for both TCP and UDP
protocols, in and out. This type of service can even run VPN. All terminals
should be capable of doing this. The restrictions are set by the carrier.

As for programming, it should look like any other TCP/IP or UDP application
over a "dial up" connection. If the carrier will only give you access to
certain limited TCP ports, you might have to become more creative, setting
up a server that runs on non-standard port assignments.

Corrections appreciated.

--
Donald R. Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net