Rebooting window7

kyrans4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I did a memory test (no problems), it wont post anything it stops at the screen saying starting windows.I didn't install anything, I was on the internet and it went to a black screen and hasn't loaded up since.

RealBeast

Titan
Try a bootdisk, like Hiren's; loads of repair tools, otherwise you may need a reinstall, perhaps just a repair reinstall will work so your programs will remain. You will have to do all the updates again. For that you need your Win 7 installer disk (I assume when you said you tried a recovery disk that was a System Repair Disc that you made on that machine).

kyrans4

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
I downloaded the Hiren's; reboot disc on another computer and burned it to a disc. which program do I need and,how do I copy it to a computer that won,t load up . I need to burn the right program to a disc that will do it automatically because I can't get past the screen that says "starting windows"

RealBeast

Titan
You don't want to try to start Windows if it will not even boot into safe mode -- you need to boot into either the Hiren's boot disk start up or with a full Windows 7 disk if you have one.

If you are not familiar with the programs on Hiren's, it will probably be easier for you to just boot into Windows from a Windows dvd, not from the hdd. Then you can do a repair installation, which will basically replace windows but not delete your programs. You will, however, have to reinstall all updates.