Mar 30, 2012
Hi guys, new to the TH forums, sorta have a question about my system:
Build:
EVGA gtx 560 2gig OC'd to 970 core, 1900 shader clock
i5 760 stock cooler, 2.8 ghz
8gb ram
700w corsair power supply
1 TB HDD

When i play games like RIFT on medium to low settings, i get really horrible fps, in a 20 man raid i get about 12-18, and i cant figure out why, maybe its outdated hardware. Another thing is that my cpu will jump up into the 70-80C range while in game, and its usually 40-50 C at idle. I have not oc'ed it at all or messed with voltages, cant find out why its so high. Can dust get under the cpu cooler fan, do i need to take that off?

When i play bf3 my fps isnt so hot either, do i need a new cpu or are the voltages that are set up auto just too high? im afraid to oc with the temperatures, i dont have enough cash atm but i was looking to either update to a i5 2500k or get a coolermaster 212 evo cooler for it if i cant fix my temperatures or get better performance

Thanks in advance guys!

P.S. Built the system in September of 2010, just updated some parts, did not update my cpu

nbelote

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
MMO's in general just plain suck for trying to attain high FPS scores, the amount of polygons on screen at once, on average, is usually far higher than other games even if the MMO's graphics are just terrible (it's the population not the graphics engine).

More to the root of the issue, your CPU could very easily be throttling itself to deal with high temperatures. This could be caused by air bubbles in your thermal paste. Try taking it off the HSF and reapplying everything a little more carefully.

TheSwizz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
okay thanks, i forgot to mention that i used artic silver paste, maybe i need to reapply more, the thing is i didnt expect it out an i5 760, and rift has pretty good graphics and a high population, so its double the work for my cpu i guess, it seems more cpu intensive

do you know anythign about cpu voltages? someone mentioned to me that they are set too high by auto standards

TRENDING THREADS