[First build] [Noob] 1866MHz (O.C.)??

12tn2

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Hi everyone. I'm doing my first build & found that the M5A78L-M LX is quite a good board for FX 6300. The problem is, when I read the MB's specifications on asus.com it says the mobo support 1066, 1333, 1600 (O.C.) & 1866 (O.C.). Since I'm aiming for 1866, I feel that knowing why the later two options are different from the first two is important. My guess is that Asus is referring to overclocking, but I don't know the details of what to o.c.? The RAM or the mobo itself?? Or is there an "O.C. mode" of the mobo that allows 1866 when activated??? Or it automatically switches to 1866 when it detects the appropriate CPU & RAM???? :pt1cable: I couldn't find the answer even after searching through Asus' manual, so you guys having been using Asus all the time, pls help me out of this confusion :whistle:

12tn2

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Quite some opposite opinions there :) But basically what I understand from reading the article is: I have to tweak the BIOS memory controller to get 1866, but it will run unstably at times. Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Since I'm completely new at O.C.ing, may I ask that this BIOS tweaking is just choosing options (1333, 1866, etc...) or it involved RAM timings, voltages & all other stuffs?
The second question is: should I go for a more expensive but natively supports 1866 mobo instead of this one. If so, pls suggest me some budget ones. Tks in advance ;)

andrewsbarton

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Yea lots of different opinions on the specifics but basically I think the mobo determines if it can use the memory and how it uses it. I think the one you mentioned can use 1866 but that it runs it like 1333 but has the option to overclock it back to 1866. That being said I would recommend not overclocking and just getting something like this:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1963472&CatId=7248

I have used a couple of these MSI mobos with Phenom II but it works with AM3+ FX also.

12tn2

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Tks :) One more question: some mobos in my target list is in microATX form. Does it affect other components' size? For example: PSU, case, & any others?

faster23rd

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011

mATX is fine. There are examples of mATX out there that are chock-full of useful features, like this OC-oriented one that I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131833

The mATX form is compatible on full, mid, and mini tower cases; I have my P8Z77 on a CM Storm Enforcer. There will always be room for the CPU, RAM, and expansions slots, and graphics cards. Although there are gfx cards out there that consume so much space that things like SLI/CrossfireX will be impossible.

andrewsbarton

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

Just make sure your case can hold micro atx mobo, if it doesn't then all the screw holes may not line up. It probably can but I wouldn't assume. The micro atx is just a little smaller and usually consumes less power and has less add on slots and stuff, but newer micro atx mobos can be just as complete as regular atx.

You want a mobo that has a 4 pin cpu connector to go with your psu, not one of the laptop style micro atx that have a plug in for a laptop style power supply brick/cable. Most micro atx will say 4 pin cpu connector and that is what you need.

12tn2

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013
Asus Crosshair V Formula -Z
Uhm, it's a bit out of the budget range :sarcastic:
You want a mobo that has a 4 pin cpu connector to go with your psu
Is the 4 pin displayed like this:
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V Power connector(s)
in the mobo specs? And just for me to avoid confusion, is the 12V 4 pin is always used for the CPU?

andrewsbarton

Honorable
Feb 6, 2013

You are correct.