Hard Drive swap, Compatible or not?

clockwrrk

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hello! I am new to the community here, so this will be my first question. I have a laptop that I am currently using, and I am looking in to getting a new desktop around May. Would the new system/windows go crazy when I would switch the hard drive from my laptop, or would it be a possibility to save some cash?

Thanks in advance. :)

Solution
If/when you were to get the laptop drive to connect to the desktop, You would still have to re-install Windows on it, with a new copy.

I would violate the EULA of Microsoft to even try to boot from the drive into a new machine. Too many things would change from the previous rig to the new one.

If you just wanted to use the drive, it should be okay. But if you are building a new sytem, you're pinching pennies by not get a new drive. Keep the laptop, biuld a new rig, that way you have two. Then you could network the 2 together, and share/move files.

clockwrrk

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012

The thing is I was wanting to do this so I wouldn't have to have any conflicts with my data, because It is a pain to get every single file you need onto a brand new hard drive.

If/when you were to get the laptop drive to connect to the desktop, You would still have to re-install Windows on it, with a new copy.

I would violate the EULA of Microsoft to even try to boot from the drive into a new machine. Too many things would change from the previous rig to the new one.

If you just wanted to use the drive, it should be okay. But if you are building a new sytem, you're pinching pennies by not get a new drive. Keep the laptop, biuld a new rig, that way you have two. Then you could network the 2 together, and share/move files.

Solution