Manual Control of Radeon HD 5870 Fan

G

Hello - hopefully someone can help me. I can't seem to find an answer to this.

I'm running a Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 card and its getter very hot with certain games. The fan on auto never goes above 30%. I've unlocked AMD Overdrive and set it to manual and 100% fan speed, but it still spins at 24% . I was running Catalyst 11.6 and now 11.7 (waiting for new AMD drivers for Battlefield 3, not the preview ones).

I've created a Catalyst preset for my manual 100% and went into the file it created in the ACE folder and the settings show as "Manual" and "100".

Is there another way to get my fan to spin up to higher speeds? I was going to use Riva Tuner, but not sure if it works with Windows 7 64-bit, and the less add-on software the better.

Thanks.

G

Great, thanks for reply.

I've read other people using that too. Must be a glitch between Sapphire and ATI, not speaking to each other. I just found a utility for Sapphire cards called TriXX. Actually let me turn up the fan speed manually. I will look at Afterburner as well.

Still sucks that the automatic control on the card doesn't work, but I am happy enough with this fix bumping it up manually every time I fire up a demanding game.

Case closed, but I'm not sure how to close the thread.