Kernel mode driver crash (possible repetition??)

benham10

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
(Sorry if this has already been asked!)

Recently purchased a GeForce GTX570 as part of my new build, however I keep getting a black screen for a couple of seconds every so often, where the message 'Nvidia Kernel Mode Driver 285.62 has stopped responding and recovered' (or something along those lines), I have tried reinstalling the drivers, I even just installed a new 64-bit version of Windows and it seems to have had no affect...getting quite annoying, luckily it doesn't seem to happen during games only when I am on the desktop :eek:
It seems to be a common problem having searched on t'internet for a solution, doesn't seem to be any definitive course of action so far..

Thanks!

d4nguy

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011

Yeah I get the same problem. I've tested 3 different Gigabyte GTX460's and 1 EVGA GTX460 on 4 different computers and I've been having ths same problem with all of them. Sometimes my screen will go black and responds after the driver recovers. Other times the whole computer freezes and I have to hard reboot. When I hook them up in SLI I'll get crazy pixelation and artifacting to the point I have to reboot. I was hoping 285.62 would solve the problem but it's still happening. I think it may be time to switch to ATI.