Single monitor fails to respond (but not always)

Phenakist

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
My system spec is

Belnea 21" monitor
955 BE X4 phenom
5770 HD radeon Vapor-X
Windows 7

My issue is that recently over the past 3-5days a new error I have never seen before keeps cropping up. If I leave my monitor to go into standby it will not always turn on when I move my mouse, instead the light in the turn on button (on the monitor) constitutes to flick at me demonically.

This made me think a monitor error, however when I disconnect the monitor from my computer it goes into normal, working mode where it will tell me that there is no connection, but once plugged in again, no such luck..back to the flashing.

This made me think it was the GPU, but then it's not always. Sometimes it will let me activate it after a while, but its a game of dice, it works when it works and not all the time, there seems to be no pattern. Boot ups can be a royal ass pain too.

What kind of issue is this???

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Plug the monitor into a different port on your video card and see if that fixes the issue. It could be that the port you're using isn't working properly. The other thing to try is a different cable all together, it could be the cable's connection getting loose somewhere.

Phenakist

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
''Plug the monitor into a different port on your video card and see if that fixes the issue''

Unfortunately it doesn't

''Press the menu button on the monitor and see if that displays correctly''
The menu idea doesn't work although it does make me think because it can take as many as 5-6 reboots to get the monitor running again, so seems to me a miscommunication error of some kind.

I can play games with no artifacts, so I have no reason to assume my gpu is broken. All my computer parts are 7months old maximum (except the PSU) but I doubt its because of my power supply.

Phenakist

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
This may help to narrow it down.

If I turn off my computer and then boot the computer up and running whilst the monitor is off, and only turn on the monitor about 10-20seconds later...it seems to work.

is this an indication of a certain problem?