lookerup

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
how do i update my gpu bios?

i know that it's not recommended but for future references i want to know if i should update or not due to some situations i might encounter. i am currently using v260 for nvidia and my gpu is a gigabyte gtx 460.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
There is no such things as gpu bios updates. Only bios mods to unlock or add a certain feature on the card. If your trying to any of that and are not familiar with flashing its bios stay away from it. Unless you got a old card lying around you want to mess around with

If you have problems with the card the first suspect will be the drivers. Uninstall them by removing them completely with a driver sweeper then install a different driver version. If you have a nvidia card its drivers got a error reporting logging function which will give you the error description in Windows eventviewer

dormantreign

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2010
That isn't true! You can update the bios. Goto the vender site and look for its tools. I had one of the first revisions of the EVGA 460gtx and my fan limit is 70%, also my clocks are 675. They gave a bios update to unlock the fan to 100% and set my core stock to something higher. That being said, the best response here is not to do it if its working fine.

they just hand out different BIOS with different setting. the vendor do release BIOS update for the gpu much like mobo BIOS update but normally they only urge the user to update the BIOS if something was wrong. some vendor did not release BIOS update at all and often if the user flash the card with BIOS from other vendor it will void the warranty. it might sound nice to be able to unlock or push the gpu voltage and core higher with different BIOS but if you do it wrong you can say good bye to your card forever. that's why it is not recommended to flash the BIOS if there was nothing wrong.