PC acting strangely after games crash

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpathogenz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hello,
I've recently changed out my CPU and RAM to a Phenom II x 4 975 BE and 16 gb Corsair Vengeance. Since doing so I've noticed that after short periods of game play the game crashes and my OS seems to act funny. Browser windows crash repeatedly and other programs such as Skype do as well. I'm trying to find out if this is a hardware/cooling issue or what have you.

vpathogenz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
No BSODs and I have not yet tried to do a fresh install. I'll do that tonight and repost my findings.
FYI I'm running:
Windows 7 Home
AMD Phenom II x 4 975 BE @ 3800 W/ CM Hyper 212 EVO cooler
16gb Corsair Vengeance @ 1600
650w Corsair PSU
Asus M5A97 MB
Zotac GTX 560 2gb

Lemme know if you need anymore spec that I neglected to list. As I said I haven't had any BSODs but I'll try to see If i can maybe get it to do so. So far SC2 and BF3 cause the game to close out and my PC to act strangely. Any windows that are open, like google chrome for instance, will flicker where my mouse is currently located. The flickering is more or less isolated to the general area of my mouse pointer. As I said it's very strange, I've never seen anything like it. I don't think it's a virus because I run scans regularly and Trend hasn't found anything but who knows.

vpathogenz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
I also still have the RAM the current ones replaced. I can try to slap those back in and see if that works maybe? I'm not fully literate on the different programs and such that you can use to test bad RAM so I'll take any ideas I can get.

vpathogenz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Ok so I put in the old ram and ran the game and the same thing occured. Here's the error description:
"ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xC0000005)
occurred at 0023:00C85049. The memory at '0x00002C6B' could not be read." Any thoughts or is this not helpful?

vpathogenz

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
After days of testing different things out and countless searches, I think I may have found the answer to my problem. According to some info I read elsewhere, to run memory @ 1600mhz on an AMD x4 or x6 cpu i need to increase my NB or FSB to 2400 or 240. I left mine running at 2000mhz ( NB freq). I dont know a lot about the technical stuff, but when i did the opposite and brought the RAM down to 1333mhz instead of 1600mhz games ran fine. Granted, I didn't do a legit stress test. I more than played past my usual error window. I usually would crash games 15-20min in, but I manage to play for a good 2hrs straight error free and at will within normal range GPU and CPU temps. I would appreciate it if someone could confirm for me whether it was the mistake with the NB freq that made my system unstable or not. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.