Sign in with
Your question

My PC won't boot

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2013 5:27:28 PM

Hi. I'm having a problem with my ASRock Z77 Extreme6 motherboard (i think). When i boot nothing happends. The fans and light and everything turn on, but turns of again after a couple of seconds. No image appears on the screen and i am therefore not able to navigate to the BIOS and see if anything is wrong in there. I've pressed the Clr Cmos button. That does not help. Does any of you guys have an idea of what could possibly be wrong?

More about : boot

a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 6:21:50 PM

It could be that the heatsink fan is not properly seated on the CPU or that there is not enough thermal paste (also, too much thermal paste will not allow heat transfer through to the heatsink).

If the PSU is less then 600 watts then that could be a problem.

Occasionally, incorrect ram may cause the system not to operate. You need to specify your hardware so that we can see if there is anything that might be incorrect such as ram speed & volume (and brand), PSU watts, CPU model.
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 6:25:13 PM

Are both of the mobo power connectors attached? Should be two - big one and small one.

Do you have a video card in? Can try removing it and connecting to the mobo video out.

Can try reseating the RAM or trying one stick at a time.
Related resources
February 6, 2013 6:34:06 PM

RAM:
G.Skill Sniper 16 GB (4x4)
DDR3 SDRAM
DIMM 240-pin
2133 MHz ( PC3-17000 )
1.65 V

PSU:
Cooler Master Silent Pro Gold 600W

CPU:
Intel Core i5-3570K Ivy Bridge
3.4 GHz
Quad Core
LGA1155 Socket

February 6, 2013 6:39:55 PM

@J_E_D_70
Both power connectors are attached and yes i have tried to remove the video card and use the onboard graphics. The RAM thing i haven't tried though
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2013 7:00:59 PM

I'd probably say that there is not enough ventilation, some CPU's run rather hot and an improper heatsink/fan might not be providing adequate dissipation. Also, you may need to check that the thermal paste is adequate. You might also have to consider adding more fans.

Where do you keep the PC, under a desk? If there is not enough airflow around the PC, that also impacts on the heat dissipation.

The 600 watt PSU may not be adequate if you are running a high powered video card, I would have preferred at least 650 watt but more likely 720 watts (most other users would disagree with me, though).
!