PC not booting with new PSU

karlhungus

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Hi all,

I recently wanted to upgrade my video card to a GTX 570, unfortunately I've run into issues with the new PSU(s) I've purchased.

I'm running a HP m9600t computer with a core i7-920. the mobo is proprietary with specs located here, http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01901210&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=3943774&tmp_track_link=ot_search#N293

The problem I'm having is I bought a Corsair TX750V2 Enthusiast PSU (located here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139021&cm_sp=Cat_Power_Supplies-_-Spotlight-_-17-139-021) to replace my old HP PSU (specs here in spoilers: http://www.pakgamers.com/forums/f64/delta-elec-460w-psu-%5Bdelta-94214/ ). When I installed the new PSU with the new video card it would power on and off 3 times in 1 second intervals (making the power light blink)....the fans would turn on and all. Then on the fourth time it would stay on and the fans and hard drive would be going, however the monitor, mouse, and keyboard would not power on and after 20 seconds or so the PC would power off. On a few other occasions I would power the PC on and the on and off "blinking" would happen in a loop until I finally cut power. I installed the old video card and tried that and the same thing would happen. I then tried my old PSU and the computer worked perfectly again.

All of the specs on the new PSU appear to be the same or exceed what the previous one had as far as power is concerned (except the -12v is 0.5 amps instead of 0.8 amps like my old one).

I called Corsair up and the guy was nice and told me what he thought it could be. He said that HP uses OEM parts to a certain spec that can be hard to find what it is and therefore hard to find compatible parts to upgrade with. When looking at the specs for the motherboard and the new PSU all I can see that could be wrong is the mobo takes an ATX connection and the power supply i bought is a ATX v2.31. Would this matter? I also read pins and connectors shouldn't fit if they are different from what is needed, so I don't see how this could be an issue either way. Another problem I'm having is locating an old ATX power supply that will meet my computers requirements (and that is also quality). I should also mention that I bought a Corsair tx650v2 before this 750 watt one and when it didnt work i sent it back assuming it was an issue with the PSU. Seeing as how the same thing has gone wrong when putting in both of these new PSUs, I'm assuming its a compatibility issue.

Any help with any of the things I mentioned would be appreciated. I'm stumped as to what to do to solve this problem and I'm hoping I don't have to buy a new MOBO, CPU, case, etc along with the video card and PSU.

trapper

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2005
Typically these OEM mobos will only work with specific PSUs. This keeps you going back to HP (or dell, or whoever) for new parts, much like the Corsair guy was saying. Its one of the drawbacks to using pre-built PCs over doing it yourself, as these problems come up all the time.

karlhungus

Honorable
Mar 30, 2012
Well as it turns out the motherboard was actually a known defective one that recently went out of warranty by HP. So technically the new PSU should've worked, but it didn't with this because it was defective. Oh well.

Chaz21

Honorable
Mar 6, 2012

Which is why I NEVER recommend a pre-built PC. To me proprietary parts are just plain wrong.

itsVance

Honorable
Jun 17, 2014
I think that PSU is too powerful for that mobo.

I installed a 600 Watt Rosewill RD600 into an m9600t and to my amazement the PC actually seemed to perform better. It also ran about 3c cooler due to the bigger fan. Its not modular, so you need to be creative with the cable management. Its definitely doable though.