Solved

Is this a good power supply

This is the power supply that came with my computer is it any good.Also will it power a system with graphics card that needs 450ws.
12 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about good power supply
  1. carnal sage said:
    This is the power supply that came with my computer is it any good.Also will it power a system with graphics card that needs 450ws.



    opps haha im a noob here it is!


    http://www.txcesssurplus.com/servlet/the-9542/HP-381840-dsh-002-XW4400-Delta/Detail
  2. What is the make and model of the graphics card?
  3. OEM PSUs are typically ok parts...not high end, but decent. What GPU are you trying to use with this PSU? It has 26A on the 12V rail so it should be able to handle most mid-level cards with ease.
  4. Rugger said:
    OEM PSUs are typically ok parts...not high end, but decent. What GPU are you trying to use with this PSU? It has 26A on the 12V rail so it should be able to handle most mid-level cards with ease.

    The power supply label states:

    MAX. COMBINED CURRENT ON +12V CPU, +12VA AND +12VB: 31.5A
  5. The processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 ghz E6400 with 4gb ram. Sorry about not posting it before,it is a hp xw4400 .
  6. carnal sage said:
    The processor is a Intel Core 2 Duo 2.13 ghz E6400 with 4gb ram. Sorry about not posting it before,it is a hp xw4400 .

    What graphics card is in this system?

    If it came that workstation it must be some model of NVIDIA Quadro NVS or NVIDIA Quadro FX or ATI FireGL card.
  7. Ya its a Ati firegl v5100..I just want to put something in it mostly for everyday use.. I sometimes game..On ebay there is a cheap geforce gts240. I know its a little old but i don't have much of a budget right now.
  8. ko888 said:
    What graphics card is in this system?

    If it came that workstation it must be some model of NVIDIA Quadro NVS or NVIDIA Quadro FX or ATI FireGL card.

    Got it...was just adding the non-12VCPU rails to get a rough estimate of the amperage available for a GPU.
  9. That's an alright power supply. First, it won't blow up in your face. More often than not, the stated info on the PSU is accurate. Then it's delta. They can make very high quality power supplies if they need to (they build PSU's for a lot of comps like antec) but usually the OEM ones they make, although not very efficient or high in quality, they'll do their job.

    Just don't expect it to power anything above a mid range card.
  10. Best answer
    For a system using a single GeForce GTS 240 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least one 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector.

    Depending on which brand and model of GeForce GTS 240 you get you may or may not need a 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connector from the power supply unit.

    Your current power supply will have no problems powering your system using the single GeForce GTS 240.
  11. Best answer selected by carnal sage.
  12. ok ty guys
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Computers Graphics Cards Components