Best low budget card for my system

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberGaston

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Hello,

I think my graphic card just died (nVidia 8800 GTS 320megs). I can't even load Windows 7 anymore. Even the BIOS logo and the Windows loading screen is displayed wrong (lines are appearing on it). Anyway...

I am looking to replace my card by a low budget one (100$ or lower). Not because I am cheap but because I'm planning to change my PC sometimes next year (waiting for Ivy Bridge technology and the nVidia's Kepler architecture). I won't need this new card for long so tht is why I am not necessarily looking for the best card for my system.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: I need it now. :D
BUDGET RANGE: around 100$ or less

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (I was playing Dead Island, looking forward to try Battlefield 3 if it's possible), Movies, Internet.

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: ASUS geForce 8800 GTS 320megs (currently dying), Corsair HX 620W PSU, Motherboard: ASUS P5W DH Deluxe, CPU: Core 2 duo E6600 2.4 ghz

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: somewhere near (I would prefer not wait for shipping) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference if it has a good quality reputation.

OVERCLOCKING: Probably not
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like to be able to plug my 24" monitor and my 40" HDTV to it at the same time. :)
My current card had two DVI connector but I suppose a DVI and an HDMI connector would do.

I red this article on Tom's Hardware. So I was thinking about this card which is available at a store nearby.

So what are your thoughts ? Should I go with that card ? or a lower card ?

While we're at it, do you think I should I go with a much better card and wait a while longer before changing my PC ? If so, which card is the best card (for my PC) at the moment ?

Thank you very much for your help !! :D

Solution
The graphics card business is very competitive. You mostly get what you pay for.

Every card I know of can handle two monitors. If the card does not have the right connector, and adapter is cheap, and often included. No worries there.

Your psu should be capable of handling a card as strong as a GTX580.

I am not much in favor of interim solutions. The funds are largely wasted.
I suggest you consider a high end card that would be appropriate for your future build, and plan on moving it there.
I think a GTX570 would be about as good as you need. Perhaps a notch lower, like a GTX560ti, or higher, like a GTX580.
Any would be a good jump over your 8800GT, and should give you a good boost, even with an older E6600 cpu.

I expect the...
The graphics card business is very competitive. You mostly get what you pay for.

Every card I know of can handle two monitors. If the card does not have the right connector, and adapter is cheap, and often included. No worries there.

Your psu should be capable of handling a card as strong as a GTX580.

I am not much in favor of interim solutions. The funds are largely wasted.
I suggest you consider a high end card that would be appropriate for your future build, and plan on moving it there.
I think a GTX570 would be about as good as you need. Perhaps a notch lower, like a GTX560ti, or higher, like a GTX580.
Any would be a good jump over your 8800GT, and should give you a good boost, even with an older E6600 cpu.

I expect the new 28nm cards to be cooler and stronger, but priced accordingly to what the market will bear.
They should be available in quantity about the time ivy bridge appears.

Solution

CyberGaston

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Thank you for your answer.

I don't know that much about graphic cards but wouldn't some of the power of the card be wasted on my old PC ? I was wondering.

But I understand your point of view. I could always use this card for my new PC and even buy another card an connect them through SLI when the time comes. But If I would like to keep my old PC for the kids, I would still need a card... hum.

Anyone else has an opinion on what I should do?

CyberGaston

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
Finally I ordered this baby: clic here!

I don't think the foot long (11.5") 570 would have fit in my case.
ALSO the 560Ti was almost 100$ below the 570
AND came with Batman : Arkham City
AND with free shipping !

Can't wait to plug it in ! :D

Thanks everyone for your time and the good advice !!

Status
Not open for further replies.