Wattage or Current?

Robi_g

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
I have a choice between...
an XFX core pro PSU 550W with 53A on the 12V rail 5 year warrenty
or an OCZ ZS series 650W with 46A on the 12V rail 3 year warrenty

the OCZ is £2 more so basically the same price
or would a coolermaster GX 650W with 52A on the 12V rail 5 year warrenty be the best option? (it's £10 more than the others) I'm not sure how reliable and quiet CM's PSUs are though.

Thanks in advance :)

Probably a typo like you said.

Robi: Beyond buying a good quality PSU, the most important factor in selecting a PSU is the combined amperage on the 12V rails...not the wattage. I would go for the XFX (Seasonic is the OEM) over either of the OCZ PSUs.

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
From the specs the XFX is better, more power, plus as @Rugger said they are made by seasonic, like many corsair psu's, and you get the 5year warranty.

If you want go look at some other psu's, from Antec, Corsair, or seasonic, but the XFX is fine.

According to this review
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=225
the card has 44A on the 12V rail, or in other words 528watts on the 12v. So that should solve the confusion.
Reviewers say it is good, it got a 9 from the link above.

Hope this helps!

fil1p

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Ok,

I ran some estimations of your power consumption, and your max power draw would be about 386watts, note that that is just an estimate, and the recommended psu for your setup is about 430-450watts, so you are well within the limits. So you should be good to go with the XFX psu, unless you want something else. Guru3d recommends a 550watt psu for two of those cards, and but that is with overhead, people are running these cards on 450 watt or less psu's without problems, so you should be fine with 550watts. Both cards use only 159watts on full load, thats insanely little.

TRENDING THREADS