Sign in with
Your question
Solved

$1100 Mid-Gaming PC, First Build

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2011 5:18:40 AM

Hi guys,

I've come up with the following build, and I'd really appreciate any suggestions you might have:

Approximate Purchase Date: Early-mid January (after Radeon 7xxx release to see if there's a price drop)

-----------

Budget Range: $1,000 - $1,200

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming (Skyrim, Diablo 3, LoL, etc.)

Parts Not Required: Monitor (1080p Vizio), Mouse & Keyboard, Optical Drive

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com, Microcenter

Parts Preferences: Intel processor, slight preference for Nvidia GPU

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes; I plan on buying one decent card now, and adding another in six months or so

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I don't play super-GPU-intensive games (no FPSs at all), it'd be nice to have a system that can be competent for 3-4 years (after adding another $200ish GPU in SLI/Crossfire somewhere down the line)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Intel i5-2500k -- $180 w/ coupon and tax

Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO -- $35

Mobo: ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 -- $150
(I don't need Integrated Graphics, and I hear that SSD caching is overrated -> P67)

GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB -- $180

Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz -- $45
(I need at least 8GB for school projects (parsing), it's good enough for now)

SSD: Crucial M4 64GB -- $110
(Boot drive -- might add another one later if app storage becomes an issue, but don't think I need 128GB right away)

HDD: I was planning on seeing what sales pop up in the next few weeks to throw in something cheap for ~250-500GB storage until prices go back down -- $80

OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM -- $100

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 750W 80+ Silver (Modular)
Case: Corsair Carbide Series 400R
Combo: $230
(These are probably the pieces I'm least sure about; without having any experience on my own, it seems like modular power supplies were really helpful in cutting down clutter in the box; for the case, I was attracted by USB 3.0 on the front, a switch to turn off the LEDs, and the filters over the front/bottom mesh -- my roommate has a cat who sheds everywhere).

Total: $1,110

More about : 1100 mid gaming build

Best solution

December 25, 2011 5:51:04 AM

you can save some by going with this mobo-
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
that psu is a bit expensive.this one is good-
$100.
your combo was $230 but i can suggest you something better for less money.here is a great case-
$100.so it is a better deal.you get a quality psu and case for $200.try to get a gtx 560ti or 6950.they have best price to performance ratio IMO.
Related resources
December 25, 2011 1:08:12 PM

Thank you, those look great! Two things:

a) Will I be able to turn off the LEDs on the 900 case?

b) Am I losing out on anything with the new motherboard, except for the front USB 3.0 that isn't necessary for the new case?

m
l
December 25, 2011 2:49:55 PM

your answers-
a) cut the small wires that power them(it is easy just follow it around the fan....). also make sure they do not short out or things will get ugly.
b)i guess no.that mobo has "almost" every good feature.you should be fine:) 
m
l
December 25, 2011 11:53:19 PM

Does anyone have an opinion on Fractal cases?

The Arc Midi Black seems to have excellent reviews, for the same price.
m
l
December 26, 2011 1:45:23 AM

Fractal cases are awesome IMO.Arc midi is one of the best.it is a personal choice.900 has greater airflow whereas Arc midi has better watercooling capabilities and is more silent.this one is a great case too-
if you want to watercool in near future than go with Arc midi otherwise this one will do your job fine.
m
l
January 2, 2012 3:00:44 AM

Best answer selected by zardoz314.
m
l
January 2, 2012 2:02:33 PM

thnx.have a good time. :) 
m
l
!