6870 Crossfire Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Ok, I'm this --> <-- close to ripping my second 6870 out and sending it back to Newegg for a refund. I have two ASUS 6870s in crossfire, and this is what I get in BF3:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ArafaxDeep04?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/XMF9MznSIjI

The game starts out fine, the first 2-3 minutes is flawless, at max settings I stay over 70fps, and then BAM GPU usage bottoms out, comes back up, bottoms out at 0% again, repeat. It makes the game unplayable. I have a similar issues with Crysis 2. Same results whether my CPU is at 3.6 or 3.8 and my NB at stock or 2.6 (performance increase when its running ok, but still the lagging and skipping).

I'm at the end of my rope here, thanks. Using 11.10 preview v3 + 11.9 CAP3.

Solution
try cleaning all drivers and sweeping and reinstall if you already have not done so also try disabling vsync/ using triple buffering in combination w vsync.... none of these seemed to totally fix but rather just remedy the problem a bit
try cleaning all drivers and sweeping and reinstall if you already have not done so also try disabling vsync/ using triple buffering in combination w vsync.... none of these seemed to totally fix but rather just remedy the problem a bit

Solution

mindwaste

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
I find that really strange, I bought 2 XFX 5850's when they were first released and I've never had a single problem with micro stuttering. Even in BF3, I have everything on ultra and its smooth as silk... Is it just an issue with the 6xxx series?

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
I've uninstalled/driver sweepered my computer so many times its not even funny. I've tried a lot of different settings, I'll give triple buffering a shot here at some point, that's one thing I haven't tried. I tried turning settings down to minimum, it significantly decreased the lag, but it wasn't gone. This just isn't worth it, my 5850 handled the game better than this.

I'm planning on RMAing one of these this weekend. I like the ASUS 6870 enough that I'm willing to hang on to one of them. I can't really afford an Nvidia SLI set-up or any single gpu with comparable performance. This is rather frustrating, so many hours wasted with drivers, in the BIOS, BSODs. I'm never going ATI again, I've never had an ATI card just function the way its supposed to without serious finagling.

Thanks for your input.

mindwaste

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2011
If it helps any, I am using the 11.9 release drivers with the 11.9 crossfire profiles...

My system specs are as follows:

i5-2500k @ 4.5
8GB Corsair XMS DDR3-1600
Asus Sabertooth p67
2x XFX 5850's
4x Veliciraptor 300GB RAID 0

Like I said, not sure if it will help any, but everything in BF3 is maxxed out and I haven't had a single issue. Maybe try going back to the 11.9 set of drivers or something?

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Do you have V-sync enabled?

The 560ti in Sli is a epic fail as well. Read that article. Its neck on neck with the 6870 for epic fail first and 2nd place.

Turning the settings down will make it worse. According to the article when your running at constant high fps with the card it happens. Try to get your fps lower if you can.

gnomio

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2011
Not yet. When was the 560ti released compared to the 6870. Look at that article. It wasn't their intention to investigate micro stuttering. They were gathering data and look at a different approach in benchmarking Gpus and they notice the huge spikes. They even asked Nvidia and Amd about where both explained the situation and acknowledge its a problem.
In those test it clearly show the 560ti not doing so well.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
It MIGHT be a little early to celebrate, seeing as how I only had time to try this once, but I enabled Triple Buffering and "Always On" v-sync in catalyst, and I just played BF3 for awhile and it ran perfectly, didn't even really notice the usual mouselag I get with v-sync. Was that really it? After hours and hours of changing clocks and voltages and drivers and cards and temps....

Have you actually seen a running 560Ti SLi rig? I have and mine does not exhibit the issues mentioned in those articles.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
My apologies @mousemonkey, this will be my last. I kept starting them, and then the issue would change and I felt it necessary to start a new thread addressing the different issue, even if it was a small change. Computer hardware issues do strange things to me.

Thank you, I would also appreciate it if you could close some of your other threads on this matter as it would be a bit messy to merge them all.

SpamShadow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2010
Well, triple buffering abated the problem, its still bad enough that I'm going to play without crossfire for now. Metro 2033 is one of my favorite games, and I can run it at max settings (w/o MSAA of course) between 50-60fps without any microstutter. So I'll hold onto my 6870s and hope that one day AMD can patch this issue out. Thanks to everyone for your help. Once again this forum saved me some good time and money.

Also uh...not to sound stupid, but how do I close a thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.