Sign in with
Your question

PC won't power on

Last response: in Motherboards
February 6, 2013 11:24:27 PM

One morning my pc wouldn't turn on after running just fine the night before so I did some research. I believed I had found the solution, the power supply. I RMA'd the corsair power supply, got the new one, and plugged it in. Still nothing.

Then I started troubleshooting the system piece by piece. Unplug a component and see if it works. I got the HDD and optical drive unplugged and the fans spun up for just a second. I had bumped a cable. I touched the cable again and the fans spun up again. I pushed the cable into the connector just to make sure it was secure and the system spun up and stayed running.

I shut it down, reconnected the HDD and optical drive, and powered it back up. It worked. I used my pc for a couple hours then shut it down.

A couple days later when I tried to use it again it will not power up. I check the connections again, still nothing. I remove everything but the mobo and cpu, still nothing.

Any ideas what could be wrong? Is the mobo bad? It's a Gigabyte Z68xp-ud3, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thank you for any help.

More about : power

a c 103 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 11:35:45 PM

The CMOS battery could be failing. This battery is a CR2032, and can be purchased just about anywhere batteries are sold (radio shack, wal-mart, target, etc.).

I would also consider doing a breadboard (build everything outside of the case).

You can find a step-by-step tutorial at the end of the troubleshooting guide. Click on the link in my signature.
a b V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2013 11:48:00 PM

Hello... inspect the pins/sockets of your suspect cable/connector... and adjust/clean/align/tighten the electrical connections there?
Related resources
February 8, 2013 3:41:08 AM

I did double check the pins and made sure all of the connections were solid. I should have added that the suspect cable/connector is the 24 pin slot. Both the connector and the cable are in perfect shape and I pushed it into place as hard as I was willing to to make sure it was a solid connection.

I will try breadboarding it, if it still fails I will pick up a CMOS battery and try that. Does the battery have to be a certain one or would any CR2032 work?

Thank you.
a c 103 V Motherboard
a b ) Power supply
February 8, 2013 3:08:42 PM

any brand will do, so long as it is a CR2032.
!