Sign in with
Your question

Problems with my HD 6870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2011 1:47:47 AM

Hey guys. So basically for the past three weeks I've been having major issues with my computer. It's a custom built PC with AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU, PowerColor HD 6870 graphics card, 8 gigs of Kingston HyperX ram @ 1600MHz. It first started when i updated to 11.8 CCC. Ever since then, my computer has been slower than usual and anytime i would try to run any sort of game, it would crash (screen would flicker once, turn back on, show just a black screen, but you can hear the sounds of the game). If i would Alt+Tab it would go back to the desktop but if i return to the game it would still crash. I've tried 11.7,11.8,11.9. I have also Re-OS'd my PC and still no luck. So i took out my graphics card, tried it on a different computer and it worked perfectly fine. So i put it back on my computer thinking it was something physical or my power supply is too low. Its 700 watts so it was plenty so i couldn't be that. so i physically took my whole PC to my networking class in school and believe it or not, it worked perfectly fine there. that narrowed my choices down to my monitor/cables. it wasn't the power in my house because i made a direct current from my fuse box to my PC and it still didn't work. i also took my PC to bestbuy and it worked fine there as well. So my friend took it to his house (my monitor,cables,etc.) and it didn't work there either. we tried different cables for power, dvi and even 5 different monitors. still no luck. but we tried a program called MSI Afterburner, changed the core voltage knob to max of around 1149 and when i ran a game, it worked perfectly fine! but my question is, how come it worked at bestbuy and school but not at my or my friend's house and how come i have to use MSI Afterburner to change the core voltage? i really want to get my computer back to the way it was before and even now the Afterburner causes games to crash unless i "tweak" it every time i log on. I know this is a lot of writing but i appreciate any help at all. Thanks guys!

More about : problems 6870

a b U Graphics card
October 27, 2011 2:05:02 AM

The latest Catalyst drivers are causing all sorts of problems. the issue is widespread. My rig has been crashing constantly while trying to play BF3.
Uninstall the GPU drivers and redownload and install 11.4 drivers. I know those were stable. Should fix the majority of your problems.

EDIT: and make sure to completely remove the old catalyst suite and reboot before installing 11.4
m
l
October 27, 2011 11:15:50 AM

welshmousepk said:
The latest Catalyst drivers are causing all sorts of problems. the issue is widespread. My rig has been crashing constantly while trying to play BF3.
Uninstall the GPU drivers and redownload and install 11.4 drivers. I know those were stable. Should fix the majority of your problems.

EDIT: and make sure to completely remove the old catalyst suite and reboot before installing 11.4

tried it, didn't work :\
m
l
!