Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is my Cable Management good enough?

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2011 9:36:04 AM

Hi guys,
I just finished building my first PC. What I'm weary about, however, is it's cable management. I tried however it still doesn't look too good. I found that most of my wires couldn't be threaded behind the motherboard because the cables were not long enough. Could you guys give your opinion, tips or suggestions on my current cable management?

Thanks

More about : cable management good

December 25, 2011 9:45:32 AM

I'm not very good at this either but what I noticed is your yellow CPU/MB power cable looks long enough to route behind, and I'd probably put all of your case connectors in the top hole and out the bottom hole (routing them away from your CPU heatsink).
m
l
December 25, 2011 9:52:07 AM

Your CPU and GPU have good cooling in your picture, you are good to game ;) 

*edit* If your case supports this,mount your PSU with the fan pointed to the bottom of the case.
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2011 10:02:00 AM

elayman said:
I'm not very good at this either but what I noticed is your yellow CPU/MB power cable looks long enough to route behind, and I'd probably put all of your case connectors in the top hole and out the bottom hole (routing them away from your CPU heatsink).

The yellow CPU/MB Power cable, surprisingly, wasn't long enough to route behind :(  I'll see what I can do with the case connectors. Thanks for your advice!
m
l
December 25, 2011 10:06:20 AM

warhead0 said:
Your CPU and GPU have good cooling in your picture, you are good to game ;) 

*edit* If your case supports this,mount your PSU with the fan pointed to the bottom of the case.

Thanks, that's good to hear! My case doesn't have a vent through the bottom so it can only have the PSU fan facing up.
m
l

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2011 10:12:51 AM

If you take off the rear exhaust fan you can re-orient it so that the cord comes out in the bottom right (closest to the video card and the motherboard both) and then maybe thread it down under the front of the video card and straight down towards the PSU.

If it were me, I would try to engineer a setup where the cables weren't hovering quite so close to the CPU as well. I would try to route the CPU power up to the top then over then down, but I don't know if your cables are long enough.

Ideally, you would want all the cables as much as possible to be straight up and down to the right of the motherboard if at all possible. I am not such a big fan of how they are routed in a S shape in there.

Also, what is that cable doing that looks like it is plugged in and then tied off and left on the bottom of the case?

Also, it looks like you have a CD drive mounted in the top most slot. If so, is there any reason that you don't have it mounted 2 slots down? Ideally it helps to make things like this as close to the PSU as possible to leave plenty of slack on the cables and room to put them where they are the most out of the way.

Also, maybe it may help or maybe not, but I would say don't be afraid to route cables into that empty space in the CD Drive bays. No airflow usually is directed through this space so it is a great place to leave extra cable length.

I don't know, mine isn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination so I can't boast my own 10/10 or anything, but I would give this job about 6/10.

- Edit - The bottom PSU facing up thing...

IMHO, you should either try to drill holes in the bottom of the case or something, that really is pretty sub optimal. I might even try to turn it upside down and have it suck through that small space between it and the bottom of the case rather than having the fan face up pulling down and out. This setup is really pretty non optimal and there should be some steps within your power that will make it 10x better if you are willing to take a drill to the bottom of the case where nobody is looking anyway.
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2011 10:16:18 AM

If you can not route behind motherboard tray it is always a good idea to get some black adhesive anchors (buy at home depot or lowes) they are $2 for like 20, and get some small zip ties and fasten all cables down on the backside of your case and on the side of your drive bays. This will keep all cables and wires from restricting your air flow.
m
l
December 25, 2011 10:49:19 AM

Thanks for your great feedback guys! I've made some changes in accordance.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 25, 2011 11:22:47 AM

Well done, Now let the gaming begin. And Merry Christmas.
m
l
December 25, 2011 12:20:44 PM

Dude you have a case made for cable management it could be a lot better.
m
l
December 25, 2011 2:33:29 PM

Looks much better but I do agree with casey10. I feel like a lot of those could be put through the holes in the back. That yellow cable sure looks to me like it has enough slack to go through the bottom hole and out the top hole (since it's sitting right next to both of the holes anyway).

Same with the smalle yellow, black, and blue wires for the USB/Power for your case. Can't you route them down behind the CD Drive (unhook them from that white cable holder with the balls on the ends at the top) and then through the top hole to the right of your RAM and then out the bottom hole above your PSU and then hook in there.

If you don't want to I guess it looks good, but you bought a case with the holes to route them out of the way, why not use them?
m
l
January 4, 2012 1:17:27 AM

Best answer selected by Kobalt Kour.
m
l
January 4, 2012 11:02:16 AM

I just built my first system and wound up changing PSU out and going to a nicer case just for cable management reasons.

m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 4, 2012 1:44:52 PM

Send it to me, I'll get rid of the cables for you......

Don't say you can't route cables behind, make a way, bit of tactical drilling, some tape/ties and some planning is all you need :) 
Send to me only applies if your in UK ofc :p 
Moto
m
l
!