I screwed something up bigtime with my wifi.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Belkin Wireless G+ Router

- PC 1: Macbook, plugged directly into router
- PC 2: Win Vista, plugged directly into router
- PC 3: Win XP, belkin wireless card
- PC 4: Win XP, netgear wireless adapter
- PC 5: Android tablet

I could not remember the password on my router, and needed to add my new tablet. So, I reset the password on my router, for access to the wireless network. It was set at 128-bit WEP. (WPA-PSK, if I set it, does not work. The computers not within 5 feet of the router say "limited to no connectivity" and will not acquire and IP address. I once heard something about high encryption screwing with getting a good signal... No clue if that's true, though.)

I generated a hex key based on a complex password I made up. Said password came to 13 hex pairs. Entered into my android tablet the whole key, and I connect just fine. If I attempt the same thing on the windows XP machines (the other two devices that *need* to be connected wirelessly - the macbook is always docked, so it's fine if I'm plugging it directly into the router for now, but the airport doesn't work when I disconnect), I receive an error telling me that:

"The network password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits depending on your network configuration. This can be entered as 5 or 13 ascii characters or 10 or 26 hexidecmial characters."

I have tried the whole hex password, as well as the ascii text characters, and I'm still getting the error message. I'm starting to bang my head against a wall, here as far as figuring out what I did wrong.

Alternately, I have put the MAC addresses of all 5 devices into the router, and can enable the mac address restriction - allow only certain ones to connect to the router - and turn off the encryption, to see if I can connect. I'm not comfortable enough with that idea to pull the trigger on it. I'm afraid I've left something off and my network will be unsecured, OR my network will be secured and I'll have accidentally locked myself out of my router.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

G

You are not going to like this answer but it's based on days wasted trying to connect two Macs to a D-Link wireless router. Whatever we tried we could not connect both wirelessly and concluded in the end that their was a generational difference between the two Macs and one was causing issues with the router that could not be reconciled .

If possible use WPA instead of WEP -- 13 letter passwords are impossibly complicated.

As for MAC ID filtering -- don't it doesn't provide much security and it causes problems.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Please walk me through it? I'm not entirely sure what I want. The tech I'm using is pretty mixed.

Netgear Wireless-G USB 2.0 Adapter, WG111US -- says it supports 64, 128 bit WEP encryptions, and WPA-PSK and WPA2-PSK
Belkin Wireless G Desktop Card, F5D7000 -- says it supports WPA, 64 and 128 bit WEP
Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO Router, F5D9230-4 (encryption options below)

Security Mode: WPA-PSK (no server)
Authentication: WPA-PSK // WPA2-PSK // WPA-PSK + WPA2-PSK
Encryption Technique: TKIP (default is TKIP) // AES

Pre-shared Key (PSK): (empty field)

(checkbox) Obscure PSK

G

Go for WPA-PSK TKIP in the router. But I'd start with wireless security disabled in the router until you get everything working otherwise. Also disable MAC filtering permanently. Turn off any special wireless mode in the router -- go for 802.11 g mode.

Consider whether you can conveniently connect at least one of the computers by wire -- that what we had to do in the end.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
The computers can not be conveniently cabled (reason for the wireless router in the first place).

I will:
- disable all but 802.11g for wireless modes
- disable all security to test that the computers can connect
- add WPA-PSK after I've verified that the computers can connect without encryption

Then I'll post back here, by tomorrow at the latest. I hope to be able to test before tomorrow night, though. Thanks for the help so far.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
The windows computer with the internal belkin card is now detecting and connected to my router with WPA-PSK. The computer that was using the netgear card does not. Tonight, I also went out and bought a new belkin wireless n adapter, which supports my router, as well as WPA as an encryption standard, I am still getting the "limited to no connectivity" error, however. The brand new hardware should have been able to detect and connect using WPA-PSK, shouldn't it?

The computer using these wireless usb adapters did only have XP SP2 installed. I'm currently attempting to upgrade to SP3, in case there was something introduced in SP3 that helped to support that encryption through windows networking.

G

You should be alright with SP2.

You mention being unable to run a cable to the router. Could that mean the problem computer is outside the effective wireless range of the router (ignore any claims for range made by the manufacturer -- indoors it's much worse). If the signal is marginal wireless security may time-out or just not connect. So try connecting with security turned off and consider this:

Optimise your reception and avoid interference.

1) raise the router above furniture level
2) Experiment with channels (some will work better or worse depending on your environment)
3) If you can detect strong neighbouring wifi, use a channel 5 stops away from strongest.
4) Relocate cordless phone base or video sender etc.
5) Be prepared to move the computer (or at least turn it so your body is not between the router signal and the wireless a

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
The router has a monitor in front of it (my mac) and a hallway straight into the kitchen. about 12 feet. Then it opens into the kitchen.

At 15, turn left and the tower with the wireless USB adapter is on top of the workbench. Four feet past that is the tower with the internetal belkin card (that is receiving signal). All signals coming into those two computers rate at 4-5 bars. That includes mine and about a half-dozen coming from the rest of the apartment complex.

I will turn the computer with the wireless usb adapter more towards the hallway, around the corner. And I will see if I can elevate my router 1-2 feet (I may not be able to because of how it is cabled up to my modem). If that doesn't work, I will see what I can do about the channels.

Changing the channels shouldn't force me to re-connect and re-password my wireless devices that are working, correct?

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
I was unable to elevate my router. I have started working my way down from the highest channel (11) available, but the computer with the new belkin usb adapter is failing to connect still. Am I following the wrong steps?

- set the channel and apply it
- wait for the router to restart and rebroadcast
- go to the machine and select "repair" from the network connections menu in the taskbar

G

Repair takes ages and usually doesn't work. Check TCP/IP Properties.

Start, Connect To, Connection, Properties, Scroll Down TCP/IP and highlight, click Properties and check that Obtain DNS and IP address automatically are enabled.

I would still urge you to test this connection with the router wired to the computer. It's easy enough to unhook the router and physically take it to the computer where you can at least see if you can connect to the user setup screens in the router. That would help eliminate issues other than wireless.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
The properties were set correctly, and "obtain automatically" is enabled.

I disconnected my router from my modem, and took the router to the trouble computer. I plugged the router in, and watched it power up, then I plugged the computer into one of the router's ports. When I tried to go to the default address for my belkin router (192.168.2.1) Internet Explorer turned up an "invalid address" and did not load the configuration page for the router.

Since that did not work, I hauled the whole setup - keyboard, tower, mouse, and monitor - within reach of the cable modem, and plugged an ethernet cable into the trouble computer directly. I'm still getting a limited to no connectivity error, with the computer plugged directly into the router. Device manager shows no alerts nor errors, when looking at the network card. It's listed as a CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter in device manager.

When I attempt to connect to the router's IP when hooked up like this, I receive the same "address is not valid" error in IE as before.

G

"default address for my belkin router (192.168.2.1) "

You're sure that's correct ? If not sure check the Belkin manual or:

Start then Run in XP - (Windows key plus R in Vista and Windows 7), then type in the following, including all the spaces:- cmd /k ipconfig /all -- then press Enter and from the black form that shows up, take a note of the numeric code beside the word "gateway" -- usually something like 192.168.0.1. Type exit to close the black form.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
There is nothing in "gateway" despite the machine being plugged directly into the router.

Would you like me to plug either of the wireless adapters into the computer and run ipconfig again, to see if either of them can pick up a gateway?

G

Check you Network Controller is installed in Control Panel, System, Hardware, Device Manager.

Which socket on the router did you use to connect to the computer.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
There are no errors or alerts in device manager. I have the ethernet cable running into socket 4, in the back of the router. 1 and 2 are taken up by my macbook and the vista computer.

G

So even with the computer directly connected to the modem (not the router) you get no response. I think you may have to consider if there's a problem with the network adapter on the computer. I'm sorry I cannot be more definite but you do seem to have a rather complex system, though the Macs may not be the issue as far as I can see.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
How can we test this, to identify or eliminate the adapter as a source of failure? And if it's just the adapter that has failed, why wouldn't the wireless USB adapters I have work? I guess I fail at understanding hardware, but I don't know what I can do to test/cure this problem now that we've hooked it up 3 different ways.

G

As you can gather I'm treading water here a bit -- you're right, if the wireless doesn't work either it's probably not the ethernet adapter.

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : BILL
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : CNet PRO200WL PCI Fast Ethernet Adap
ter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-08-A1-1D-6A-3E
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
My connection to the router is fine, as far as I can tell. The NIC in the computer has 2 green lights on it when connected to my router via cable.

If I connect using either of my wireless USB adapters, I get similar results. Here's one of them. (I'll download the driver for the CNET NIC, but device manager reports no errors with the driver that is currently installed.)

Windows IP Configuration

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
ter

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Surf & Share Wireless USB Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 94-44-52-AC-64-3D
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.196.161
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

dnder

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2003
Dadiggle --
There is obviously a miscommunication going on. I will bullet-point and break down what I have done and tested.

~TEST 1~
NIC (CNET Pro 200 WL) is plugged in to the router via ethernet cable, NO USB ADAPTER PLUGGED IN:

Windows IP Configuration

ter
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 0.0.0.0
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.255

~TEST 2~
Wireless USB Adapter (Belkin Surf & Share) is plugged in, NO CABLE TO THE NIC CARD IS PLUGGED IN

Windows IP Configuration

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected <-- this is supposed to do this, for this test
ter

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection 3:

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin Surf & Share Wireless USB Ada
pter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 94-44-52-AC-64-3D
Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.196.161
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

The wireless USB adapter has been installed.
Device Manager shows no errors or alerts regarding the wireless USB adapter.

The NIC (CNET Pro 200 WL) has been installed.
Device Manager shows no errors or alerts regarding the NIC.

Device manager reports both the NIC and USB adapter as, "The device is working properly."

The connections to my router are in place and working properly. The issue is that the computer is not able to detect the network, DESPITE the fact that all the pieces of hardware (router, NIC, wireless USB adapter) are functioning properly.

Are we both on the same page now? I failed to make myself understood last time, but I hope I have cleared it up now.