Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Is CPU voltage of 1.52V safe?

Last response: in CPUs
March 31, 2012 1:46:00 AM

I have a 2700k Core i7. I put CPU voltage as auto and its running at 4.8 Ghz consuming 1.52V. I tried to decrease the voltage manually to 1.48V but got a blue screen. So I want to keep it at auto. But is 1.52V safe?

More about : cpu voltage 52v safe

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 1:57:18 AM

MrLoooooooo said:
I have a 2700k Core i7. I put CPU voltage as auto and its running at 4.8 Ghz consuming 1.52V. I tried to decrease the voltage manually to 1.48V but got a blue screen. So I want to keep it at auto. But is 1.52V safe?

You have to be careful with voltages. To little and it will give you a BSOD. Increasing the voltage as people do for overclocking can fry your CPU. I wouldn't just randomly increase the voltage without testing it right, that is using Prime 95 and a heat gauge software to see how it is running. I really try to avoid increasing voltage unless the voltage is to low and it's giving me a BSOD.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 9:50:04 AM

thats far too high

i only use 1.4v on a 2600k to get to 5ghz

hope you have very very good cooling on it--even then thats too high a voltage

what motherboard is it?

and what cooler?

m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 10:57:50 AM

I'm interested in this as well. I also have an i7 2700k and when trying to o/c to around 5GHz the voltage goes up to about 1.5+. It seems stable enough when priming and the temps go to about 70. I have a good cooler (Noctua DH14). Temps are ok I think but I'm just not comfortable with the voltage. When I tried to cap it, it BSODs in prime95.

In the end I've simply decided to dial back the over clock. Now I run it at 4.64GHz and the voltage peaks out at 1.35 GHz in prime, and the temp peaks at 53. This is fine and I'm comfortable with it.

I really don't know what determines the relationship between clock speed and voltage in the bios. I know that the bios automatically increases it for higher clocks but is it somehow calibrated to what your CPU is capable of, and will it differ from chip to chip?

After a LOT of experimenting, I've concluded that my over clock to 4.64GHz is pretty much the limit of what my 2700k is capable of without getting stupid temps and voltages. I'm both happy and unhappy with this. Happy because it's still a fast CPU. Unhappy because by choosing a 2700k instead of a 2600k, I was hoping it would be a binned part that would be capable of more. I know nobody really knows whether this is the case (except Intel, and they won't tell us), but my experience tells me a 2700k is probably just a rebadged 2600k and that I happen to have got a poor one.
m
l
March 31, 2012 11:47:25 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
thats far too high

i only use 1.4v on a 2600k to get to 5ghz

hope you have very very good cooling on it--even then thats too high a voltage

what motherboard is it?

and what cooler?

My cooler is a H100
Motherboard - ASUS P67 Sabertooth
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 1:51:17 PM

Increasing the voltage decreases the life of your CPU. How much is hard to say, it might be insignificant, it might not.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 2:01:59 PM

at least you have a good cooler

but i still wouldnt be happy putting more than 1.4v through that cpu to reach 4.8ghz

heres a very good p67 and 2600k overclocking guide--should be helpfull

http://www.clunk.org.uk/forums/overclocking/39184-p67-s...
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 2:05:32 PM

bwrlane said:
I'm interested in this as well. I also have an i7 2700k and when trying to o/c to around 5GHz the voltage goes up to about 1.5+. It seems stable enough when priming and the temps go to about 70. I have a good cooler (Noctua DH14). Temps are ok I think but I'm just not comfortable with the voltage. When I tried to cap it, it BSODs in prime95.

In the end I've simply decided to dial back the over clock. Now I run it at 4.64GHz and the voltage peaks out at 1.35 GHz in prime, and the temp peaks at 53. This is fine and I'm comfortable with it.

I really don't know what determines the relationship between clock speed and voltage in the bios. I know that the bios automatically increases it for higher clocks but is it somehow calibrated to what your CPU is capable of, and will it differ from chip to chip?

After a LOT of experimenting, I've concluded that my over clock to 4.64GHz is pretty much the limit of what my 2700k is capable of without getting stupid temps and voltages. I'm both happy and unhappy with this. Happy because it's still a fast CPU. Unhappy because by choosing a 2700k instead of a 2600k, I was hoping it would be a binned part that would be capable of more. I know nobody really knows whether this is the case (except Intel, and they won't tell us), but my experience tells me a 2700k is probably just a rebadged 2600k and that I happen to have got a poor one.

i didnt use auto voltage after the 1st attempt--i set the voltage manually and used the voltage offset--

on auto it actually hit 1.6v at 5.1ghz --seeing 1.6v going through my new £250 cpu nearly gave me a heart

attack

should explain offset voltage in the overclocking guide i linked
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 31, 2012 2:20:03 PM

mcnumpty23 said:
i didnt use auto voltage after the 1st attempt--i set the voltage manually and used the voltage offset--

on auto it actually hit 1.6v at 5.1ghz --seeing 1.6v going through my new £250 cpu nearly gave me a heart

attack

should explain offset voltage in the overclocking guide i linked

Thanks for the tip and the link. (Since I have the same problem as the OP, don't think this qualifies as a hijack!)

My problem is that while my CPU CAN hit 5GHz, it does so around 1.54v, which I am not happy with. Temps are 70s under load, which is ok, thanks to a decent cooler, but voltage is not. Trouble is that when I try to reduce it, it BSODs under load, even with a small reduction. It will boot and run regular tasks fine. It does this at every level of overclock as far as I can see. Any advice on how to get it stable at a lower voltage?
m
l
March 31, 2012 5:02:45 PM

Best answer selected by MrLoooooooo.
m
l
!