Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need a Cheap Gaming CPU

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 24, 2011 11:28:51 AM

I'm trying to build a new box from the ground up. I also need a monitor and windows (or OS alternative). And I need to do it for roughly $600. So far I have bought:

Radeon HD 6850: $125
Corsair Ram 8gs: $20
IMicro Mid Tower Case (built in 400W PSU): $30

I'm thinking of picking up a Samsung LED for $160 for the 2 ms response and a Seagate 500gb HD for $50. So far my total should be $385. Leaves me pretty little room to work with for the Mobo and Processor. I'm looking to run games at a pretty high setting for a solid 2 years or so before I upgrade. Please help me pick a mobo+processor. So far, I think I want to run a AMD FX 4100... but it seems everyone hates it.

More about : cheap gaming cpu

December 24, 2011 11:32:07 AM

i3-2100 and an asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 total is 215.
December 24, 2011 11:34:25 AM

Really can't beat the i3-2100 at that $100 dollar cpu price range huh?
Related resources
December 24, 2011 11:48:44 AM

The 2100 is impossible to beat...
December 24, 2011 11:51:07 AM

+1 @ amuffin = i3-2100 and an asrock z68 extreme 3 gen 3 total is 215

But beware of cheap PSUs, do not i repeat do not use that cheap PSU it could and probably will destroy all your hard earn t new hardware, instead buy yourself a 500 to 600w PSU from any of the following, Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, XFX.
December 24, 2011 11:53:26 AM

I was afraid of that... I figured the case PSU would barely be enough for me to basically overclock a FX4100 chip...
December 24, 2011 11:57:27 AM

I suggest getting a lower end monitor. So you can get a haf 912 which is 50 dollars and get a better psu.
December 24, 2011 11:59:29 AM

The only other concern I have with i3-2100 is that its only dual core. I understand it functions like a quad but in future games, will that be a big issue? Also, wanted to try to run Fedora but I am a total linux newb. Thinking about taking that money and springing for i5-2400
December 24, 2011 12:02:39 PM

dvo352 said:
The only other concern I have with i3-2100 is that its only dual core. I understand it functions like a quad but in future games, will that be a big issue? Also, wanted to try to run Fedora but I am a total linux newb. Thinking about taking that money and springing for i5-2400

well usually I suggest getting an i3 atm and then next year upgrade to ivybridge.
December 24, 2011 12:06:38 PM



COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119233
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$19.00 Instant
$68.99
$49.99


SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817151094
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$25.00 Instant
$84.99
$59.99


ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157279
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
-$3.00 Instant
$114.99
$111.99


Intel Core i5-2400 Sandy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 2000 ...
Item #: N82E16819115074
Return Policy: Iron Egg Replacement-Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$189.99
Subtotal: $411.96
December 24, 2011 12:08:09 PM

Well worth the extra money, less than $30 more than your left over $385, just eat less for a week, haha.
December 24, 2011 12:24:40 PM

amuffin said:
well usually I suggest getting an i3 atm and then next year upgrade to ivybridge.


The original plan with this was to build a solid box that would last me about 2 years, 3 years tops with the intention of the first year giving me top notch gaming then having to scrap the whole thing on year 3. I'm not sure if future proofing my mobo is necessary but maybe. I was looking to find something relatively cheap that can overclock into something respectable, which is why I was thinking of the FX 4100 (also cause it OC's without much more power or cooling needed).

Also, Uther, I got like 215 left to spend lol. I'm willing to maybe crank it up to 315 but thats the MOST I'll spend right now (i'm broko :(  ) I saw a deal for a i5-2400 for 160... not sure if its real or not but if it is, I can spring for that then I'll buy the AsRock Z68... leaving me just enough for windows :p 
December 24, 2011 12:32:38 PM

You still have the issue of having a really crappy case and psu.

With your money seriously consider an AMD build using the following.



COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Item #: N82E16811119233
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$19.00 Instant
$68.99
$49.99


ASRock 970 EXTREME3 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
Item #: N82E16813157280
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
-$5.00 Instant
$94.99
$89.99


SeaSonic S12II 520 Bronze 520W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
Item #: N82E16817151094
Return Policy: Standard Return Policy
-$25.00 Instant
$84.99
$59.99


AMD Phenom II X4 960T Zosma 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HD96ZTWFGRBOX
Item #: N82E16819103995
Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy
Protect Your Investment (expand for options)
$124.99
1

Newegg Promotional Gift Card - $15.00
Item #: N82E168GC000001
Your Promotional Gift Card will be emailed 4 days after invoice.
Subtotal: $324.96
December 24, 2011 12:34:09 PM

As for Ocing the 960t, i have one on a test bed right now on a cheap Asus Micro ATX board Ocd to 3.8 ghz on an old Arctic Cooler Freezer Pro CPU cooler, which are dirt cheap.
December 24, 2011 12:37:43 PM

Man, makes me really want a 960T... I think I'll end up picking that as my CPU. Also cancelled my case in time. I need to trim just a tiny bit off that list you gave me Uther and I think we got ourselves a winner.
December 24, 2011 12:39:21 PM

dvo352 said:
Both are interesting. Was definitely thinking of 960T. Seems solid, how does it do overclocked? Probably not gonna look to unlock more cores...


I suspect it will up-clock nicely @ 95w to ?? -- with a solid mobo and good air. I got one in this week -- might play with it a little this afternoon to see what she's got ...




December 24, 2011 12:46:18 PM

Can I get away with Cooler Master Elite Series Power Supply - 460 Watts, ATX?
December 24, 2011 12:57:47 PM

dvo352 said:
Both are interesting. Was definitely thinking of 960T. Seems solid, how does it do overclocked? Probably not gonna look to unlock more cores...

- You must do the thing you think you cannot do.

Just @ try!
December 24, 2011 2:12:53 PM

Decided I cant skimp on power especially since I plan on OC'ing. Gonna get OCZ ModXStream Pro Power Supply - 600-Watt. But I think im gonna skip future proofing my mobo, instead, I just want a cheap AM3 mobo that can OC the 960T and possibly unlock cores.
December 24, 2011 6:11:11 PM

dvo352 said:
The original plan with this was to build a solid box that would last me about 2 years, 3 years tops with the intention of the first year giving me top notch gaming then having to scrap the whole thing on year 3. I'm not sure if future proofing my mobo is necessary but maybe. I was looking to find something relatively cheap that can overclock into something respectable, which is why I was thinking of the FX 4100 (also cause it OC's without much more power or cooling needed).

Also, Uther, I got like 215 left to spend lol. I'm willing to maybe crank it up to 315 but thats the MOST I'll spend right now (i'm broko :(  ) I saw a deal for a i5-2400 for 160... not sure if its real or not but if it is, I can spring for that then I'll buy the AsRock Z68... leaving me just enough for windows :p 

the thing is with 600 dollars you can build a mid range i5-2500k system, but you are buying windows and a monitor :(  I suggest the i5-2400 then, and when you have the money upgrade to ivybridge.
December 25, 2011 10:46:10 AM

Found a deal for the i5-2500k and Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard for $250. I don't think I can turn that down... gonna have to spring some extra bucks on this. Put in the specs for this rig on extreme power calculator and it said all I needed was 250Ws. Newegg gonna have a deal on an Antec 400W gaming powersupply soon. Think it'll be enough?
December 25, 2011 10:55:23 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Systems by Mousemonkey
December 25, 2011 10:01:27 PM

dvo352 said:
Found a deal for the i5-2500k and Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard for $250. I don't think I can turn that down... gonna have to spring some extra bucks on this. Put in the specs for this rig on extreme power calculator and it said all I needed was 250Ws. Newegg gonna have a deal on an Antec 400W gaming powersupply soon. Think it'll be enough?



Where can I buy the i5-2500k and Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard for $250....? I want one!
Thanks
December 26, 2011 5:56:17 AM

If you live near a Microcenter, then search for a facebook coupon on the i5-2500k. After that, add that exact mobo and you'll get it for 60.
!