Sign in with
Your question

ASUS GTX 580 VS EVGA GTX 580

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2011 3:58:48 AM

What is your opinion on the ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II vs EVGA GTX 580 SuperClocked? I’m leaning towards the EVGA because it’s not a triple layer board and I’m not sure whether my P8Z68-V Pro will fit 2 ASUS GTX 580. I’m planning to run SLI in a corsair 600t case.

Thanks in advance
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2011 4:54:18 AM

Your mobo will fit 2xAsus at the expense of covering all but one x1 expansion slot and leaving minimal space between the two cards. The heat sinks and sata ports are positioned such that if the 3-slot card won't fit, a 2-slot card wouldn't fit either.

I see that the Asus cooling system was reasonably well reviewed by HardOCP. OTOH, I don't know of any 2xAsus reviews to see the impact of proximity on cooling.
m
l
October 27, 2011 5:07:18 AM

Twoboxer said:
Your mobo will fit 2xAsus at the expense of covering all but one x1 expansion slot and leaving minimal space between the two cards. The heat sinks and sata ports are positioned such that if the 3-slot card won't fit, a 2-slot card wouldn't fit either.

I see that the Asus cooling system was reasonably well reviewed by HardOCP. OTOH, I don't know of any 2xAsus reviews to see the impact of proximity on cooling.

So what you are saying is 2 ASUS GTX 580 DirectCU II can fit, but i wont be able to access my sata ports?
m
l
Related resources
a c 253 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2011 5:18:00 AM

No I think he's saying that if the cards fit over the sata ports then you can fit both cards. You would just have to connect your sata cables before you install the cards.
m
l
a c 253 U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2011 5:21:31 AM

I don't know if I would want to cover all the slots on my motherboard with just two video cards , it would be nice if a water cooler block was made for those Asus cards then you could get it down to a single slot card , like Evga did.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b Ĉ ASUS
October 27, 2011 5:47:37 AM

^ Yes . . . but let me try to say it again differently.

There are 3 spots to worry about: width, length, and clearance over the other parts on the motherboard.

Width: Yes, 2xAsus will fit because there are two open expansion slots next to both the first and second PCIE video card slots.

Length: I hadn't checked the length until now. The Asus card is 11.5" long, the EVGA card is 10.5" long. An ATX mobo is 9.6". So, the cards will project past the edge of the mobo 2" and 1" respectively. Your case will handle either length just fine.

Clearance over the mobo: We already know a 2-slot video card must fit over the expansion slots, heat sinks, and sata ports. When you think about a 3-slot card, it faces no new obstacles, so it must also fit.

The sata ports the vid cards must pass over are 90-degree ports, so inserting cables will NOT require more clearance. But yes, you may find it easier to install the sata cables before you install the vid cards, but its not absolutely necessary in your Corsair case.

in short - pick either vendor.

Edit: The EVGA 580 is NOT a single slot card. Its a 2-slot video card, so you will be covering one additional expansion slot with each card.
m
l
October 27, 2011 6:14:18 AM

Twoboxer said:
^ Yes . . . but let me try to say it again differently.

There are 3 spots to worry about: width, length, and clearance over the other parts on the motherboard.

Width: Yes, 2xAsus will fit because there are two open expansion slots next to both the first and second PCIE video card slots.

Length: I hadn't checked the length until now. The Asus card is 11.5" long, the EVGA card is 10.5" long. An ATX mobo is 9.6". So, the cards will project past the edge of the mobo 2" and 1" respectively. Your case will handle either length just fine.

Clearance over the mobo: We already know a 2-slot video card must fit over the expansion slots, heat sinks, and sata ports. When you think about a 3-slot card, it faces no new obstacles, so it must also fit.

The sata ports the vid cards must pass over are 90-degree ports, so inserting cables will NOT require more clearance. But yes, you may find it easier to install the sata cables before you install the vid cards, but its not absolutely necessary in your Corsair case.

in short - pick either vendor.

Edit: The EVGA 580 is NOT a single slot card. Its a 2-slot video card, so you will be covering one additional expansion slot with each card.

Thanks for all the information, it has really helped me alot. I will be going for the EVGA card to be on the safe side and also reading reviews it out performs the ASUS by a little bit, once again thanks for all the help.
m
l
!