Asrock N68-VS3 FX and the gtx 690

pjmnz80

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
I was wondering, I have an AsRock N68-VS3 FX motherboard which has;

■ Integrated NVIDIA® GeForce 7025 graphics, DX9.0 VGA, Pixel Shader 3.0
■ 1 x PCI Express x16 slot
■ 1 x PCI slot

and looks like this @ (http://www.asrock.com/mb/NVIDIA/N68-VS3%20FX/?cat=Specifications)

I wanted to upgrade to a proper external graphics card and was looking at the GTX-690. The motherboard has a x16 slot but from what I understand the 690 card is dual slot width and there is only one slot in the machine. I know a second slot isnt actually used, and this just describes the physical dimensions of the card.

Looking at the motherboard, would this card fit into this machine without problem or would it interfere with something on the motherboard or just not fit exactly. The 690 is one expensive card and I dont want to buy it first then find out I cannot use it later.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Paul Moffat.

Hi Paul,

you really wanna buy that extrem graphics card? Which CPU are you using? Your Power supply should have at least 600Watt.
The dimensions should work out, because almost all video cards are dual slot builds. The only thing that you should be aware of is the length of the card, which could be a problem in small cases. Hope you also have a good cooling system.

pjmnz80

Honorable
Feb 7, 2013
My processor is: AMD FX-4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz x 4 cores 12MB Cache Socket AM3+

I know its not the strongest CPU. I am going to go through the process of upgrading this machine over the next 11 months. I hope by 2014 to have a very strong computer.

I want to start with the graphics card first because it is one of the most expensive components to upgrade, and I can actually benefit from its presence immediately atleast to a degree.

As I go through the process of upgrading other components like the motherboard for example then the graphics card will eventually come into its own. I also want to SLI this with another 690 but that is going to probably be the last step in the whole process, if that even happens this year.

I am already aware that my PSU isn't up to the task of running a 690 so thats getting upgraded immediately as well. Another reason why I am getting a graphics card is because the integrated gfx doesn't have HDMI capability.