Sign in with
Your question

Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z GPU issues

Last response: in Motherboards
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 5:43:45 AM

Hi everyone,

Please correct me if I have misplaced this thread.
HW Config:
Intel Core i5 3570K
Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z
8GB G.Skill Ripjaws
OCZ Agility 3 120gb ssd
ATi Radeon HD 4870

The issue is that everything works fine in safe mode or with the GPU disabled. But when I install any driver from AMD, (tried 13.1, 12.6, 11.9) I will get a BSOD on start up usually indicating "atikmdag.sys" or "atikmpag.sys" as the cause. Any help would be appreciated.
a c 462 V Motherboard
a c 116 Ĉ ASUS
February 7, 2013 6:07:42 AM

boot into the bios and look at the bios rev on the main screen. asus on the older bios switxh from a .rom to a .cap file. the newest bios is 3603 has a lot of bug fixes and for windows 7/8. the other bug fixes are for ram and cpu code updates. there a usb flashback port to flash your mb without powering the mb on or put the new .cap file on a usb stick and use the bios updater inside of the mb bios. also make sure from the mb installer cd you did not install the Lucid Virtu Software V1.2.108.18765 for Windows 7 32bit & 64bit. it a know issues to crash windows and gpu when it tries to bond a ipgpu with a gpu.
i would also boot into safe mode..uninstall the ati drivers..get windows to boot into windows normal then install the newest intel chipset drivers then reboot. then try the ati drivers again. one thing also to check make sure you have the video card in the right pci slot. if it in the right slot ...on asus mb in the bios change the pci video bus speed from auto to pci 2.0 mode. the gpu may be having an issue running in pci 3.0 mode on your mb.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 7, 2013 6:11:38 AM

YOU NEED TO DO IT

Step 1: Download and install the latest ati graphic driver.AND DONT TURN OFF OR RESTART YOUR COMPUTER AFTER INSTALLATION

Step 2: Then go to C:\Windows\System32\Drivers and rename atikmdag.sys to atikmdag.sys.old.

Step 3: Go to ati directory (usually in C:\ATI) and find the file atikmdag.sy_.

Step 4: Copy the file to your Desktop directory.

Step 5: Open cmd.exe by going to Start -> type cmd in the search box and hit enter.

Step 6: Change the directory to Desktop by typing chdir Desktop.

Step 7: Then, type EXPAND.EXE atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys. Or,

expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys

Step 8: When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys from your Desktop to

C:\Windows\System32\Drivers

Step 9: Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.

IF THE PROBLEM CONTINUES DO NOT INSTALL CATALYST JUST UPDATE THE DRIVER IN DEVICE MANAGER

I,M ALSO USING MAXIMUS IV EXTREME AND AMD 7970. AND FACED SAME PROBLEM 2 MONTHS AGO.

m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
February 7, 2013 9:20:17 AM

Hi KAIJER, & smorizio
Thanks for your reply, I read about the instructions you posted elsewhere, tried them, but with no luck. I still had BSODs on startup after a few reboots.
I will check my BIOS config and Lucid Virtu now and see what I find.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 5:19:48 AM

Sorry for the delayed reply. I have made sure that Lucid is disabled in the BIOS and that the drivers are not installed. I could not find any settings to change the PCI-E setting to 2.0 and the BIOS is up to date. So I uninstalled the drivers, used driver sweeper and reinstalled them again (did that twice) still with the same issue - BSOD 116 on boot so I took out the card and installed my older 9600GT and what do you know? It works perfectly! I'm still not sure what was wrong with the 4870 and 4850 which gave me BSODs but Nvidia is not causing any issues so I'll use that for the time being.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b Ĉ ASUS
February 10, 2013 6:59:34 AM

hey _zxzxzx_ i asked some experts, moderators (graphics) about the problem.

But no one is having any solution.

one of them suggest me to go through those steps. --------->>

"You could try opening up the registry and deleting all keys that are AMD or Ati. Also, if you've ever had Nvidia and/or Intel graphics drivers, you'd want to clear those out too.Cleaning any remnants from faulty drivers may help get it working.

Have you had any other stability issues with anything recently? Another possibility is some storage corruption, especially considering that you have an OCZ SandForce based SSD.

Have you tried down-clocking the memory and if you have a CPU overclock, bringing that down too? Sometimes high frequencies in either can seem stable, but cause issues in odd ways.

Are you sure if the Intel IGP is disabled? Although usually not an issue, IGPs have historically been known to occasionally cause conflicting issues with discrete graphics cards."

you can try this but that was not helpful for me.

i was getting same issue with my 7970. but when i switched to GTX 680. everything just became fine.

And as far i know we are having those BSOD for the drivers..

BY THE WAY DID YOU TRIED THE OLDER DRIVERS ?? LIKE 11.4 ?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
February 10, 2013 10:25:02 PM

Well, I used driver sweeper which I assume removed any remnants of old drivers, nothing is overclocked ATM and the IGP is disabled from the BIOS. I have had no other stability issues - only the ATi GPU. I did try the 11.9 drivers and 12.6 as well as the latest but with no luck.

This does not seem to happen on my other system which is using 3 4800 series cards in crossfire with the latest drivers.
m
l
!