XBox 360 vs Playstation 3

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2005 2:37:19 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy? Early
returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may actually be the
better system for once. Looks like Sony's dominance for once will be
warranted.

PLAYSTATION 3
--------------------------

RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory

1080p native resolution

two HD outputs

seven Bluetooth controllers

six USB slots, four up front and two in the back

Bluray

removable 2.5-in hard drive capability

Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller

wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
capabilities

More about : xbox 360 playstation

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:37:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

Nintendo Revolution

Just cuz I can
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:37:20 AM

"Freedom Fries" <RedumblicansShouldBe@gaschambers.com> wrote in message
> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?
Early
> returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may actually be the
> better system for once. Looks like Sony's dominance for once will be
> warranted.

I have no plans to buy either console, but I think Sony will easily continue
to have a market lead even though Microsoft will have the Xbox 360 out this
year. The only real question mark for the Playstation 3 is if people will
like the ergonomics of the boomerang controller. Comfort is everything and
hopefully for them, they won't stick with that controller design if it turns
out to be a dud.
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:37:21 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

NightSky 421 wrote:
> I have no plans to buy either console, but I think Sony will easily
continue
> to have a market lead even though Microsoft will have the Xbox 360
out this
> year. The only real question mark for the Playstation 3 is if people
will
> like the ergonomics of the boomerang controller. Comfort is
everything and
> hopefully for them, they won't stick with that controller design if
it turns
> out to be a dud.

I seriously doubt Sony approved the controller design without first
testing its ergonomics. It certainly LOOKS all form-over-function...
but for all we know it might feel like heaven in your hands. Have any
of the E3 attendees commented on the feel, yet?

--
Bill Cable - Steelers Fan & Star Wars Collector
http://CreatureCantina.com <----- funny!

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

Buy US

> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?
Early
> returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may actually be the
> better system for once. Looks like Sony's dominance for once will be
> warranted.
>
> PLAYSTATION 3
> --------------------------
>
> RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory
>
> 1080p native resolution
>
> two HD outputs
>
> seven Bluetooth controllers
>
> six USB slots, four up front and two in the back
>
> Bluray
>
> removable 2.5-in hard drive capability
>
> Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller
>
> wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
> capabilities

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:08:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

I will buy both ... true gamer like that .. :-)

> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?
Early
> returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may actually be the
> better system for once. Looks like Sony's dominance for once will be
> warranted.
>
> PLAYSTATION 3
> --------------------------
>
> RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory
>
> 1080p native resolution
>
> two HD outputs
>
> seven Bluetooth controllers
>
> six USB slots, four up front and two in the back
>
> Bluray
>
> removable 2.5-in hard drive capability
>
> Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller
>
> wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
> capabilities

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:55:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

"Freedom Fries" <RedumblicansShouldBe@gaschambers.com> wrote...
> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?

Both.

Krusty,
works for a living.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:12:42 AM

"Tentacle Pr0n" <me@yep.doh> wrote...
> Nintendo Revolution
>
> Just cuz I can

Backwards compatible with 20 years of Nintendo library, from NES to
cube...all downloadable.

You're god damn right I'm getting it.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:12:43 AM

Krusty wrote:
> "Tentacle Pr0n" <me@yep.doh> wrote...
>> Nintendo Revolution
>>
>> Just cuz I can
>
> Backwards compatible with 20 years of Nintendo library, from NES to
> cube...all downloadable.
>
> You're god damn right I'm getting it.

I will be getting all three uhh for um..the kids...um when they visit..ya
that's it....heh.
--
v/r Beau

Ghosts don't exist and there is nothing to be afraid of....except for
SuperAIDS.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:32:09 AM

> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?
> Early
> returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may actually be the
> better system for once. Looks like Sony's dominance for once will be
> warranted.
>
> PLAYSTATION 3
> --------------------------
>
> RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory
>
> 1080p native resolution
>
> two HD outputs
>
> seven Bluetooth controllers
>
> six USB slots, four up front and two in the back
>
> Bluray
>
> removable 2.5-in hard drive capability
>
> Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller
>
> wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
> capabilities

I was thinking of getting both just because i dont own an xbox now and
figured Id wait for x360 but after seeing and hearing about it ill probably
just wait for the ps3. Seeing that it might cost a quite bit more ill have
to save the bones for that one.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 7:32:10 AM

"curious" <nope@nope.com> wrote in message

> I don't work there, but yesterday when I stopped in to the one by work,
some
> dude was reserving the new X-Box, and the clerk quoted the $500 price tag.
It
> caught my ear b/c that's some serious Lillian Ellison, right thar.
>
> -curious
> I Faarooq'd when I heard it.

I think stores will always do that to early adopters, but $500 is really not
bad considering the hardware the Xbox 360 is packing. I know you couldn't
build a gaming PC for that amount of money unless you wanted something for
running software (decently) that is two years old or more. Still, I would
cool my heels for a while before dropping that kind of cash on a console
secure in the knowledge that it will soon drop below $400 once the initial
holiday wave is over. By then, more games will no doubt have made
themselves available.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:05:46 AM

"Pope GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote
> In other words, the games will be emulated as opposed to supported in
> hardware.

And not ALL games will be emulated.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:07:07 AM

"The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote...
> Buy US

Who are you? And why should we buy you? And who else is with you?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:12:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

"The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote...
> This BC .. appears to be a feature folks gotta have .. so they say.
>
> When I go to my locate EB, Game Stop ... appears to me that folks buy
> games
> play to completion or bordom and then sale the game for the latest and
> greatest .... not really an issue for most ... but nearly all believe that
> gotta have BC

Hahaha...damn...I thought I was the only one...
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:14:20 AM

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote
> I think stores will always do that to early adopters, but $500 is really
> not
> bad considering the hardware the Xbox 360 is packing. I know you couldn't
> build a gaming PC for that amount of money unless you wanted something for
> running software (decently) that is two years old or more. Still, I would
> cool my heels for a while before dropping that kind of cash on a console
> secure in the knowledge that it will soon drop below $400 once the initial
> holiday wave is over. By then, more games will no doubt have made
> themselves available.

And let's not forget...the countless rubes that are running out *right now*
and dropping that exact same amount on a Graphics Card just to play Doom 3.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:14:21 AM

"Krusty" <krusty@sc.rr.com> wrote in message

> And let's not forget...the countless rubes that are running out *right
now*
> and dropping that exact same amount on a Graphics Card just to play Doom
3.

High-end video cards for the PC are indeed expensive. Here in Canada, you
can expect to pay $400 to $500 for an X800XL and that's not even the top dog
of video cards (although it is decent). It's also a lesser card than the
graphics capability we'll see in the Xbox 360.

When Doom 3 came out for the PC last year, I'm glad I didn't spend a dime in
upgrading my system in preparation for the game. I stuck with my 9800 Pro
and was quite happy with how my system performed. Also, I must say that
while I liked Doom 3, it didn't quite meet my expectations.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:15:38 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

"The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote...
> if you are using this usenet forum ... you likely paid more for your
> computer ..

Hah! I'm using a Mac Mini. Gotcha!

Krusty,
okay, no I'm not.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:43:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

Krusty killed six kittens after typing this:

> "Tentacle Pr0n" <me@yep.doh> wrote...
>> Nintendo Revolution
>>
>> Just cuz I can
>
> Backwards compatible with 20 years of Nintendo library, from NES to
> cube...all downloadable.

Which all are available as freeware emulators for the PC, including the
ROMS if you know where to look.

I'm still not sure about Duck Hunt, but I think I can make my webcam work
with it somehow. I'll probabably end up shooting the dog and losing.

--
Chris Boyd
RSFC's 8 of Clubs

---
Still can't get enough? theurge14@SPAM.IS.yahoo.SO.TRITE.com
---
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:50:10 AM

Krusty wrote:
> "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote...
>
>>This BC .. appears to be a feature folks gotta have .. so they say.
>>
>>When I go to my locate EB, Game Stop ... appears to me that folks buy
>>games
>>play to completion or bordom and then sale the game for the latest and
>>greatest .... not really an issue for most ... but nearly all believe that
>>gotta have BC
>

> Hahaha...damn...I thought I was the only one...

OK, there is two of you.

--
Rockboy
Everybody's all right

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

first of all nintendo claimed some titles...there is no way anyone could
acheive the license for all those games.

second, all of that is available right now on xbox.

> "Tentacle Pr0n" <me@yep.doh> wrote...
> > Nintendo Revolution
> >
> > Just cuz I can
>
> Backwards compatible with 20 years of Nintendo library, from NES to
> cube...all downloadable.
>
> You're god damn right I'm getting it.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:08:13 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

No console rides on the shape of a control. if it were that simple...com on!
but honestly sony will continue to hold a majority I believe but a smaller
one.

"NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
> "Freedom Fries" <RedumblicansShouldBe@gaschambers.com> wrote in message
> > Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?
> Early
> > returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may actually be
the
> > better system for once. Looks like Sony's dominance for once will be
> > warranted.
> >

> I have no plans to buy either console, but I think Sony will easily
continue
> to have a market lead even though Microsoft will have the Xbox 360 out
this
> year. The only real question mark for the Playstation 3 is if people will
> like the ergonomics of the boomerang controller. Comfort is everything
and
> hopefully for them, they won't stick with that controller design if it
turns
> out to be a dud.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:22:05 AM

NightSky 421 wrote:

> year. The only real question mark for the Playstation 3 is if people
will
> like the ergonomics of the boomerang controller. Comfort is
everything and

So where did you get to try that controller? Lets not judge the book by
its cover. I am not going to say anything unless I feel it in my hands.

It might be very comfortable for all that we know, they are definitely
not stupid to give us something uncomfortable.
[BTW I own a duke controller and get this... even use it a lot of
times :) .. ]
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 11:39:33 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

There is 2 X 10 million of us ....

"Rockboy" <rockboy@rockboy.net> wrote in message
> Krusty wrote:
> > "The_Rock" <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote...
> >
> >>This BC .. appears to be a feature folks gotta have .. so they say.
> >>
> >>When I go to my locate EB, Game Stop ... appears to me that folks buy
> >>games
> >>play to completion or bordom and then sale the game for the latest and
> >>greatest .... not really an issue for most ... but nearly all believe
that
> >>gotta have BC
> >

> > Hahaha...damn...I thought I was the only one...
>
> OK, there is two of you.
>
> --
> Rockboy
> Everybody's all right
> Everything is automatic
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 12:57:32 PM

"DNA" <susenets2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> So where did you get to try that controller? Lets not judge the book by
> its cover. I am not going to say anything unless I feel it in my hands.

I don't recall saying that I had tried it out, I simply said that I would
hope they wouldn't stick with that design IF it turns out to be a dud.
However, I'm sure they will have a test group try it out.

> It might be very comfortable for all that we know, they are definitely
> not stupid to give us something uncomfortable.

Fair assumption.

> [BTW I own a duke controller and get this... even use it a lot of
> times :) .. ]

Heh
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:37:47 PM

"Chris Boyd" <theurge14@ALREADY.yahoo.HAVE.ENOUGH.SPAM.com.THANKS> wrote...
> Which all are available as freeware emulators for the PC, including the
> ROMS if you know where to look.
>
> I'm still not sure about Duck Hunt, but I think I can make my webcam work
> with it somehow. I'll probabably end up shooting the dog and losing.

I don't want to sit in front of a computer monitor to play them, I want to
play them on my nice, big, widescreen TV, which sits in the main room of my
house. I don't want to string cables to my TV from my laptop to have to do
it either. Keep your ROMS and your downloads and your PC. I'd like to be
able to play them using a Nintendo Controller, with my wife and kids all
sitting on the sofa. Not crammed around a computer monitor.

Not all of us live in dorm rooms and are 17.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 1:40:35 PM

"QuantumHED" <SithLordUS@peach.net> wrote...
> first of all nintendo claimed some titles...there is no way anyone could
> acheive the license for all those games.
>
> second, all of that is available right now on xbox.

With or without a mod kit? I have an Xbox with Xbox live. I've never seen
Super Mario available for it in any way, shape or form.

Secondly, how do you *know* that Nintendo doesn't have the publishing rights
to those games and can't re-release them? How do you know that Nintendo
can't release the Namco library for the NES or the SNES? Or the Konami
licenses for NES? I'd be willing to bet the farm that if Konami could make
more money selling games they developed 20 years ago, they'd jump at the
chance to license them *again* for more revenue.

"No, we're not interested in making money."
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:44:06 PM

"Pope GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
news:p an.2005.05.17.22.55.03.191093@hotmail.com...

> In other words, the games will be emulated as opposed to supported in
> hardware.

PS3 will emulate PS2... so what's your point?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 2:46:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

"Chris Boyd" <theurge14@ALREADY.yahoo.HAVE.ENOUGH.SPAM.com.THANKS> wrote in
message news:Xns965A76014D0Dcboyd@24.94.170.102...

> Which all are available as freeware emulators for the PC, including the
> ROMS if you know where to look.

And for those that aren't pirates?
May 18, 2005 3:21:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

I do have a GameFly membership. Even so, there are 2 XBox titles in my
Q and about 30 GameCube and GBA titles. The XBox is just geared toward
an entirely different type of player than me.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:10:00 PM

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote
> "Pope GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:p an.2005.05.17.22.55.03.191093@hotmail.com...
>
>> In other words, the games will be emulated as opposed to supported in
>> hardware.
>
> PS3 will emulate PS2... so what's your point?

I don't think so, actually. I think they're embedding an actual PS2 chip on
the device.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:10:01 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

absolutely not. It is the same as with the PS2. The ps1 architecture is
completely different from the PS2 and the same goes for the PS3. Both
systems will be emulated with raw cpu power and believe me there is no
downside...at this point we can actually run those systems several times
there normal clock and they would still hold up.

"Krusty" <rspwkrusty@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:D 6fpcm$dgl2$1@news3.infoave.net...
> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote
> > "Pope GregoryD" <hagar@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > news:p an.2005.05.17.22.55.03.191093@hotmail.com...
> >
> >> In other words, the games will be emulated as opposed to supported in
> >> hardware.
> >
> > PS3 will emulate PS2... so what's your point?
>
> I don't think so, actually. I think they're embedding an actual PS2 chip
on
> the device.

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 4:24:16 PM

NightSky 421 wrote:
> "DNA" <susenets2@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> >
> > So where did you get to try that controller? Lets not judge the
book by
> > its cover. I am not going to say anything unless I feel it in my
hands.

> I don't recall saying that I had tried it out, I simply said that I
would
> hope they wouldn't stick with that design IF it turns out to be a
dud.

Fair enough. And they will do it if it comes to that... even MS did it
:)
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:43:58 PM

"GM Collins" <gcollins@*SPAM*hfcc.net**> wrote
> I'm going to have to do this when the Xbox 360 comes out. Just gets harder
> and harder to justify spending $50-$60 on a game when I can just rent them
> and keep them for a long time. How many games can you have out at once
> with Gamefly?

Different levels of service, just like netflix. 1, 2, or 3 out at a time for
varying amounts.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:44:44 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

"QuantumHED" <SithLordUS@peach.net> wrote
> absolutely not. It is the same as with the PS2. The ps1 architecture is
> completely different from the PS2 and the same goes for the PS3. Both
> systems will be emulated with raw cpu power and believe me there is no
> downside...at this point we can actually run those systems several times
> there normal clock and they would still hold up.

So it'll use software emulation as well then?
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 5:50:41 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

QuantumHED knelt and kissed my pinky ring before proclaiming

> absolutely not. It is the same as with the PS2. The ps1 architecture is
> completely different from the PS2 and the same goes for the PS3. Both
> systems will be emulated with raw cpu power and believe me there is no
> downside...at this point we can actually run those systems several times
> there normal clock and they would still hold up.

You'd have a point if you were right. You aren't.

--
Pope GregoryD

Founder of Opus Hogan, Patriarch of the West Coast, Vicarius Fili
Hulkster, Successor of the Mouth, Primate and Archbishop of Venice Beach
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 6:20:04 PM

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message

> Who cares about PS1 games... and who even played PS1 games on their PS2,
> anyways?

I did for a year after the PS2 was released.
My kids still play PS1 games on their PS2's.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:03:02 PM

"Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote
> Have you checked to see how many third-party games will be available?
>
> I seriously doubt that the GC games will be downloadable, BTW.

Why not? They're not that big...certainly not that big for high speed users.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 8:52:38 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.final-fantasy,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox,rec.sport.pro-wrestling,rec.sport.football.college (More info?)

"Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote
> Because GC games are still being sold at retail.
>
> You don't think that Nintendo will actually _charge_ for this service,
> do you? Well, maybe it will; it's made a lot of dumb decisions in the
> past decade.

I don't think that'll matter at all.

And "charge for the service"? No. I don't think they will. But charge
micropayments for the downloads? Sure, why not, everyone else is doing it.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 9:35:16 PM

On Tue, 17 May 2005 22:37:19 -0400, "Freedom Fries"
<RedumblicansShouldBe@gaschambers.com> wrote:

>Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy? Early
>returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may actually be the
>better system for once.

I will probably get a 360 a few months after it's release when the
price inevitable drops.

>Looks like Sony's dominance for once will be
>warranted.

*If* they don't get to badly battered by the 360's 6 months+ head
start.

The main reason the PS2 is so popular is because of the long head
start the PS2 had despite it's obvious technical inferiority, the 360
will not have that inferiority.

One thing if for sure is that the PS3 *has* to have better online
multiplayer support, I chose the Xbox over the PS2 mainly for XBox
Live which I am very happy with, compare that to having to buy and
fit a network adapter for virtually no network compatible games, and
(from what I've heard reported) somewhat poor network performance.

Add in the XBox's advantages of the HD for saving games (in 2 years
I've used my XBox memory card a grand total of twice - both for moving
saved games to other x-boxes) & downloadable content and a much better
controller.

This is why I never considered getting a PS2 as anything other than a
DVD player that I could occasionally play a game on rather than the
other way round. The PS3 is almost certainly not going to get my money
on this evidence since it not doing anything other than a more
powerful PS2.

--
ButIstillneedtoknowwhat'sinthere!Thekeytoanysecurity
systemishowit'sdesigned!Thatdependsonwhyitwasdesigned!

Freedom Fries wrote:
> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?

Xbox 360 - launch day if I can afford it. Depends on the UK price point
which I suspect will initially be astronomical.

PS3 - after a couple of price cuts or when something comes out for it I
can't live without. Tekken 6 and Getaway 3 do not qualify.

-Vin
May 18, 2005 10:10:30 PM

Krusty wrote:
> "Rob Browning" <pluvius3@hotmail.com> wrote
>
>>Because GC games are still being sold at retail.
>>
>>You don't think that Nintendo will actually _charge_ for this service,
>>do you? Well, maybe it will; it's made a lot of dumb decisions in the
>>past decade.
>

> I don't think that'll matter at all.
>
> And "charge for the service"? No. I don't think they will. But charge
> micropayments for the downloads? Sure, why not, everyone else is doing it.

Yeah, my first thought was iTunes model, probably with N64 games
costing, say, $2, SNES at $1 and NES at 50 cents. The Revolution DVD
drive will play GameCube mini-disc things, which to me implies that Cube
games won't be downloaded.

-Vin
May 18, 2005 10:16:36 PM

Rob Browning wrote:
> On Wed, 18 May 2005 08:12:12 -0400, Steve <SteveSpamTrap@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>

>> If I do end up getting a next-gen console, I'll probably wait and get a
>>Nintendo Revolution (and probably wait until 2007 or so to get it). I
>>have a GC and XBox now, and play the XBox about 5% of the time. I
>>didn't really get into the online play like I thought I would (nothing
>>but 14-year old retards yelling racial slurs at each other), and MS and
>>Sony both just don't seem to have a clue how to design "fun" games
>>geared toward the casual gamer.
>

> It'd be more accurate to say that Nintendo consoles are now geared
> towards the nostalgic gamer, and even then they don't have a solid
> grasp on that market (since not everyone is nostalgic for Nintendo
> first-party games). Sony and Microsoft consoles are far better at
> attracting the casual gamer (who tends to play sports games and such)
> as well as the hardcore gamer (more third parties = more good games).

Sounds fair enough. To my eye, Sony are the more appealing to the casual
gamer - all I see for the PS2 (which I don't own myself so I don't look
that closely, but a lot of my friends have one) lately seems to be
racing and FPS games. Zzzz...

-Vin
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:25:06 PM

Krusty wrote:
> "Tentacle Pr0n" <me@yep.doh> wrote...
>> Nintendo Revolution
>>
>> Just cuz I can
>
> Backwards compatible with 20 years of Nintendo library, from NES to
> cube...all downloadable.
>
> You're god damn right I'm getting it.

It will also fit in your cd-rom slot of your computer so you can play the
games through your monitor. Awsome.

Ryan
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:26:54 PM

Fred Liken wrote:
> "Chris Boyd" <theurge14@ALREADY.yahoo.HAVE.ENOUGH.SPAM.com.THANKS>
> wrote in message news:Xns965A76014D0Dcboyd@24.94.170.102...
>
>> Which all are available as freeware emulators for the PC, including
>> the ROMS if you know where to look.
>
> And for those that aren't pirates?

Bah.
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:33:51 PM

The_Rock wrote:
> if you are using this usenet forum ... you likely paid more for your
> computer ..

Not really. Usenet was out way back in the early 90's I believe. You can
get a very cheep 75mhz computer for a few bucks.

Ryan
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:34:47 PM

Freedom Fries wrote:
> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to buy?
> Early returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it may
> actually be the better system for once. Looks like Sony's dominance
> for once will be warranted.
>
> PLAYSTATION 3
> --------------------------
>
> RSX (Reality Synthesizer) GPU has 512MB of graphics render memory
>
> 1080p native resolution
>
> two HD outputs
>
> seven Bluetooth controllers
>
> six USB slots, four up front and two in the back
>
> Bluray
>
> removable 2.5-in hard drive capability
>
> Wi-Fi connectivity with PSP used as a remote screen and/or controller
>
> wireless HD IP Camera with Minority Report-esque motion-sensing
> capabilities

What about the stupid looking gameboy advance mini that's comming out.
Looks like a nintendo controller with a screen.

Ryan
Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:36:27 PM

QuantumHED wrote:
> No console rides on the shape of a control. if it were that
> simple...com on! but honestly sony will continue to hold a majority I
> believe but a smaller one.
>
> "NightSky 421" <nightsky421@yahoo.ca> wrote in message
>> "Freedom Fries" <RedumblicansShouldBe@gaschambers.com> wrote in
>> message news:428aaa5d_1@x-privat.org...
>>> Assuming you're not going to buy both which one are you going to
>>> buy? Early returns look good for the playstation3. Looks like it
>>> may actually be the better system for once. Looks like Sony's
>>> dominance for once will be warranted.
>>>

>> I have no plans to buy either console, but I think Sony will easily
>> continue to have a market lead even though Microsoft will have the
>> Xbox 360 out this year. The only real question mark for the
>> Playstation 3 is if people will like the ergonomics of the boomerang
>> controller. Comfort is everything and hopefully for them, they
>> won't stick with that controller design if it turns out to be a dud.

Ya, look at the shitty xbox controller.

Ryan
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:43:45 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 QuantumHED <SithLordUS@peach.net> wrote:
> are you implying the PS3 has a little PS2 and PS1 dancing around inside?
> have some common sense.

The PS2 *does* have a PS1 "dancing around inside", as you put it.

They're doing the same thing for the PS3.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:46:10 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Krusty <rspwkrusty@yahoo.com> wrote:

> releases, right? And Xbox will use their connectix "Virtual PC" purchase, to
> do software emulation?

Well, maybe not Virtual PC by name, but you got the idea. There'll be
some piece of software that will sit between your XBox1 game and XBox360
hardware that will enable the game to run.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:52:42 AM

In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 The_Rock <sweetvee1@hotmail.com> wrote:
> This BC .. appears to be a feature folks gotta have .. so they say.

BC is a quick and cheap way of introducing a console with a pre-made,
battle-tested library of sure-fire hits - namely, the games from the
previous generation.

As both the PS1 and PS2 showed, it takes a good 12-18 months before you'll
start getting good games for the console to appear. However, during this
period early in the PS2's lifetime, you could still have access to a large
library of good and cheap games via BC.

This is especially important for those who didn't own the previous
generation of the console. For instance, if you didn't have a PS2, you'll
be able to buy a PS3 and still be able to play the PS2 and even PS1 games
you missed.

You could argue that BC isn't that important to the folks here because
most of us own multiple consoles. But we're not the typical consumer.
!