Sign in with
Your question

New system, windows stops at Windows is Loading files

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 31, 2011 11:48:56 PM

Hello, I've recently built a new system from scratch, I can verify all the connectors are plugged in correctly and powered. Today I went out and bought a small internal 24x dvd drive to install my copy of windows 7 home premium OEM with and this is where my problems began. Whenever I set the dvd drive as the first boot option and put the OEM disc inside it, the screen stays black and does a Windows is Loading files bar across my screen I believe twice at varying speeds then disappears and leaves me with nothing but a black screen. I've waited and have it still sitting there blank at this very moment. I have done a lot of googling and only seen one other person with this same issue have his problem solved by resetting his BIOS to default. Needless to say this didn't work. I've tried changing all the storage settings from AHCI to IDE to RAID and disabling/enabling some setting in each with no luck. Below are the system specs.

Motherboard: ASrock gen3 extreme3 Z68 chipset
CPU: i5 2500k 3.30Ghz
GPU: AMD Radeon 6950 came factory set to 870 Mhz core clock (overclocked from 800)
RAM: 4x4 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 Mhz (I've also checked to make sure the proper voltage and frequency was used on these in the BIOS)
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 120GB
PSU: Coolermaster 1000W
Optical Drive: 24x Multiformat DVD/CD Writer with the obvious Sata connections to hook up to my mobo

This is my first pc build and I assume that asrock mobo's version of BIOS is UEFI.

Edit : I've tried removing 3 of my RAM sticks and now it just freezes with the grey bar fully loaded on Windows is Loading files. I then tried loading my old windows XP CD and it was working until it hit a BSOD which occurs consistently if I try to load XP. On more attempts at loading windows 7 it gets past the grey bar stage to the black screen not loading anything stage again.
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2012 4:20:06 AM

What ports exactly do you have your SSD and ODD plugged into on your motherboard? Make sure SSD is set to AHCI.

In your BIOS what are the temps of your system? You may have issues with your heatsink and thermal compound.

Remove your GPU and connect your monitor to your motherboard's video out for testing.

You can also test each ram stick individually and in different slots to void your RAM out as a problem.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2012 4:24:33 AM

make sure your drives are connected to the intel ports

had the same problem on my asus when they were connected to the marvell controller

moved them to the intel controller and worked perfectly
m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2012 4:33:56 AM

mcnumpty23 said:
make sure your drives are connected to the intel ports

had the same problem on my asus when they were connected to the marvell controller

moved them to the intel controller and worked perfectly

I think that motherboards SATA ports are all intel controlled.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 1, 2012 4:37:33 AM

skaz said:
I think that motherboards SATA ports are all intel controlled.

you may be right its 6-30am here and been up all night so couldnt concentrate enough to read all the spec on his

motherboard vendors website
m
l
January 1, 2012 6:12:07 AM

skaz said:
What ports exactly do you have your SSD and ODD plugged into on your motherboard? Make sure SSD is set to AHCI.

In your BIOS what are the temps of your system? You may have issues with your heatsink and thermal compound.

Remove your GPU and connect your monitor to your motherboard's video out for testing.

You can also test each ram stick individually and in different slots to void your RAM out as a problem.

I've tested the sata 3_0 port for the SSD and sata 2_2 ports with no luck, ODD has been tested in SATA 2_2 and sata 2_4. My motherboard constantly gives the A2 if I change it from IDE to AHCI which is IDE Detect according to manual and when its IDE it says A3 which is IDE enable. I've tried removing the GPU with no luck. In the UEFI which takes the place of BIOS on my mobo I haven't seen my heatsink go above 38.0 C and I've kept it on all the time I've been troubleshooting. I'll have to start testing each RAM stick at this point.

Edit: Upon removing the GPU from the pc completely and trying again I got past the loading to a buggy chunklike grey screen with a light grey loading bar I assume which was the start up, everything looking like a failure to load onboard graphics which I hadn't set to be the main video adapter and then it came to a black screen with TRAP and a lot of equal signs to EXCEPTION and more equal signs and then it listed a lot of technical stuff and what I recognized as ASM codes at the bottom such as EAX = xx and others. Afterwards I have been unable to reach that screen again since I changed my main video adapter to onboard in the north bridge configuration of the Advanced tab in UEFI.
m
l
!