Random Freezing, possible motherboard issue? (solved)

Kenwalker

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013
MOBO: Gigabyte Z77M-D3H-MVP Rev.1 Bios Version 6
CPU: Intel I5 3570k Factory settings, not overclocked
RAM: Corsair Vengeance CMZ16GX3M4X1866C9R @ Spec Timing (9-10-9-27 1.5v)not overclocked
HD Seagate 1tb 6gbSata
GPU: EVGA GTX480 running 2 monitors, not overclocked
PSU: Thermaltake Smart Series 850w
Liteon Bluray DVDMulti R
Plantronics USB headset
Idealzon Zboard (mentioning it because it's one of the originals, not the Steelseries)

I'll be the first to admit this is my first complete build. I put all this in a Velocity Micro Case I had from my previous PC. (I like the case, and the size, no haters) When I first put it together I was running Vista H.P. 64bit and then upgraded to Win7 PRO 64bit when I installed the new hard drive. On Vista it ran fine but the audio drivers didn't work. (made for Win7)

Shortly after I put Windows 7 on it, it started randomly freezing. No BSOD, just frozen. I have to power off reset it. This usually happens when I'm running WoW. It seems to happen more often when I'm running WoW with Pandora or youtube running but it doesn't need either. It has even froze when just surfing the web and not gaming. It is completely random.

I have upgraded drivers, flashed the bios and used the guide here on Toms to set the bios up and disable the Green switches, etc.

The computer works fine without the Graphics card in it ( doesn't freeze ), and running on the Intel integrated graphics, more on this later:

The temps run fine. I've never seen the CPU past the low 60s. It usually runs in the 40's (Celsius) and I run a Precision X fan profile that keep the graphics card in the 70's

I have also:

*Reloaded Windows
*Ran windows memory diagnostic and Memtest, all checked good.
*Ran it with one stick of ram at a time.
*Replaced the EVGA GTX480 with a known working identical card, which also froze the machine. (thanks to a friend who was running 2)
*Imaged the hard drive on to another and switched those out with no luck.

The only thing I haven't aggressively tested is the motherboard or the PSU. I did flash the bios to the latest stable version with success (from F1 to F6).

I have looked through the forums here but haven't really seen anything that is doing what mine is doing. Even though this was my first build, I'm mechanically oriented and have done extensive work on PCB's as well as tweeking my own computers over the years. I just never bought all the parts separate and put them together. Any suggestion would be well received. I attempted to be thorough but I'm sure I left out something. All of these parts are less than a year old and all were purchased new.

I posted this in Chipsets and Bios a few days ago. So far, I haven't gotten a response.

Kenwalker

Honorable
Feb 5, 2013

eh? I replaced my EVGA GTX480 with a EVGA GTX480 that a friend was actively running in his machine. My computer had the same random freezing issue with both cards. I initially tested and retested my GTX480 multiple times before replacing it with the other one. It consistently checked good.