Sign in with
Your question

6850 crossfire problems.

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 27, 2011 9:13:20 AM

Let me first start off by saying I'm not the best with technical stuff with computers, so please bare with me. But I've had this computer for about a month now, and everything was ok, I have two xfx radeon 6850 hd cards in my tower, crossfired, and they were working fine it seemed, every blue moon i was getting the "driver stopped working error" just recently, but I hadn't gotten around to trying to solve that yet. anyway, today, i tried starting up diablo 3 beta, cuz i'm a loser and was hoping by signing in i'd miraculously gotten accepted into beta, anyways, go to start it, and says it doesn't support my drivers, well they ended up just needing to be updated, so i downloaded the little amd see if i need updated, it said yes, i hit install, and it got rid of my catalyst or whatever ati/amd thing it had going, and now i have this amd vision thing instead, and now it's not giving me the option to crossfire my cards, looking in the hardware section i get this.

Primary Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Device ID 6739
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 3110
Subsystem Vendor ID 1682

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 013.007.000.002
BIOS Part Number 113-HD685ZNF63.SB
BIOS Date 2010/10/28

Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 775 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1000 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 128.0 GByte/s

Disabled Adapter
Graphics Card Manufacturer Powered by AMD
Graphics Chipset AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series
Device ID 6739
Vendor 1002

Subsystem ID 3110
Subsystem Vendor ID 1682

Graphics Bus Capability PCI Express 2.0
Maximum Bus Setting PCI Express 2.0 x16

BIOS Version 013.007.000.002
BIOS Part Number 113-HD685ZNF63.SB
BIOS Date 2010/10/28

Memory Size 1024 MB
Memory Type GDDR5

Core Clock in MHz 775 MHz
Memory Clock in MHz 1000 MHz
Total Memory Bandwidth in GByte/s 128.0 GByte/s

so it detects it but it's disabled?
i really don't know what to do, cuz like i said i'm not technical smart guy with computers.
i just need the best in depth solution i can get from you guys, it'd be great.
don't just wanna have a card in my cpu that's doing absolutely nothing.
October 27, 2011 9:34:17 AM

Diablo 3 is not crossfire compatible in beta or upon release if im not mistaken.
October 27, 2011 9:45:56 AM

that's not what i'm referring to, i'm referring to the fact that after i updated my drivers using the amd sites check for updates program and installed them, it got rid of catalyst and left me with a amd vision, and now vision doesn't give me the option to crossfire my computer at all, and it shows that i have a enabled adapter and a disabled adapter.
Related resources
October 27, 2011 9:46:18 AM

Not only that, but the latest Catalyst drivers are causing loads of problems for people, especially in crossfire. (i'm having loads of crashes too)

roll back to 11.4 and all will be well.

EDIT: AMD vision is simply the new name for catalyst, its the same thing. The reason one care is disabled is as a power saving feature. when not gaming, it turns one off to consume less power.
October 27, 2011 9:50:37 AM

but since like an hour ago of updating, it doesn't even give me the option to crossfire tho. like when i go to gaming, crossfire configuration, it doesn't even give me the option to crossfire in general, that's where my issue is i guess, i don't mind the vision thing, seems easier to navigate and more than catalyst was seeing as it's just an updated version. but in catalyst i had crossfire checked and what not, in vision i don't have the option.
October 27, 2011 10:16:49 AM

I'm pretty sure that now it simply automatically enables crossfire when able.

download GPUz, and log a file while playing a game. if both cards have increase in useage, you know its working.

i just installed 11.10 preview and also there is no manual enabler for crossfire, but it definitely works as my framerates haven't dropped.
October 31, 2011 4:52:37 PM

Yeah get gpu-z. And then you will be able to find out if there working in crossfire or not....
!