Sign in with
Your question
Solved

PC building help? (reffering to common mistake when building)

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2011 4:41:04 PM

SO i'm building my first gaming computer and have done lots of research. I remember during one video i watched the tech guy said to pay attention when doing something but i don't remember what it was. HE said there were multiple locations in which whatever he was installing could be installed.
MY question, can anyone think of any common mishaps people face when building computers that lead to, i don't want to say decreased performance, but performance that isnt living up to what your motherboard can really handle? like maybe there are slower ports for WHATEVER.

my mobo is

GIGABYTE GA-Z68MX-UD2H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard

CPU: Intel Core i7/i5/i3 processors, Intel Pentium processors, Intel Celeron processors in the LGA1155 package .
Memory: 4 x 1.5V DDR3 DIMM sockets supporting up to 32 GB of system memory, Dual channel memory architecture

Audio: Realtek ALC889 codec, High Definition Audio, 2/4/5.1/7.1-channel, Support for Dolby Home Theater,
Expansion Slots: 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8.

Storage Interface: Chipset: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s, 3 x SATA 3Gb/s, 1 x eSATA 3Gb/s on the back panel,
1 x CPU fan header/1 x system fan header/1 x front panel header/1 x front panel audio header/

1 x HDMI port/1 x DisplayPort/4 x USB 2.0/1.1 ports/2 x USB 3.0/2.0 ports/1 x eSATA 3Gb/s connector/1 x RJ-45 port/
1 x S/PDIF Out header/5 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers/1 x USB 3.0/2.0 header/

1 x serial port header/1 x clearing CMOS jumper/1 x Trusted Platform Module (TPM) header
6 x audio jacks (Center/Subwoofer Speaker Out/Rear Speaker Out/Side Speaker Out/Line In/Line Out/Microphone)

Back Panel Connectors:1 x PS/2 keyboard/mouse port/1 x D-Sub port/1 x DVI-D port/1 x optical S/PDIF Out connector/
Chipset: Intel Z68 Express Chipset. Marvell 88SE9172 chip: 2 x SATA 6Gb/s, Support for SATA RAID 0 and RAID 1

Internal I/O Connectors:1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector/1 x 8-pin ATX 12V power connector/4 x SATA 6Gb/s connectors/3 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors/

Support for ATI CrossFireX/NVIDIA SLI technology. 1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4. 1 x PCI Express x1 slots.
Support for DDR3 2133/1866/1600/1333/1066 MHz memory modules
Support for S/PDIF Out. LAN: 1 x Realtek RTL8111E chip (10/100/1000 Mbit)
Support for SATA RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, and RAID 10.
USB: Chipset: Up to 14 USB 2.0/1.1 ports. 2 x Etron EJ168 chips:Up to 4 USB 3.0/2.0 ports.
Technical Details
Processor Socket: LGA 1156
Form Factor: Micro ATX
December 25, 2011 5:31:35 PM

Installing CPU incorrectly or no thermal paste, Forgetting the motherboard standoffs that attach to the case, plugging sata 3 devices into sata 2 ports (same with usb3 in usb2), not discharging static electricity before touching components. Those are just some I could come up with,.
m
l
December 25, 2011 5:56:17 PM

check tutorial on forum
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2011 6:02:03 PM

elayman said:
Installing CPU incorrectly or no thermal paste

I installed the CPU and applied thermal paste correctly, but I forgot to remove that sheet of plastic on the bottom of my heatsink. Luckily, the CPU temps only reached 90C under load.
m
l
December 25, 2011 6:03:41 PM

as long that cpu did not overheat your save
m
l

Best solution

December 25, 2011 6:04:45 PM

There are as many ways to mess up a custom build as there are people building. Just when I think I have seen everything, somebody does something completely out of the blue that is just beyond reasoning. Like the guy who just complained in another thread why 1 of his 2 Win7 installations on his PC was slower than the other one, and why it could not find the boot loader.
Follow the guide, be patient, pay attention, and all will go just fine. I agree that probably though the most common things are not mounting the board correctly, installing the CPU and heatsink correctly, and not installing all the latest motherboard drivers first thing after getting the OS up and running. Getting all the wires to the case in correct places. Another huge mistake is buying a cheap or poorly rated PSU. Good, clean, reliable power from a top rated PSU maker cannot be stressed enough!
December 25, 2011 6:07:02 PM

The thing you can install at multiple spots are the Hard Drives or the CD/DVD or Blue Ray drives. Your only concern with this is if the Hard drive gets in the way of a long graphics card in which you just have to move the hard drive down or up to a different slot.
m
l
December 25, 2011 6:31:00 PM

Best answer selected by Treyvon.
m
l
!