Solved

Issues after CPU upgrade.

Hello everyone!

So, I have a problem. I recently decided to upgrade my CPU from an Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 to an Intel Core 2 Duo 8400. I also got a Thermalright IFX-14 heatsink with it. So I replaced the CPU in my ASUS P5N-e sli motherboard and installed the new heatsink. I plugged everything back in and powered up my pc, but it won't show any signs of working... I tried using a different graphics card (I have an Nvidia 9800GT and I tried an Nvidia 8800GT) but nothing worked. I know I plugged everything in correctly, I even tried putting everything back as it was before... any ideas to what could have happened? I really have no idea...

Thanks in advance!
Mc837
15 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about issues upgrade
  1. remove out all the ram and then put them back then try!
  2. Just did a quick search. It looks like your CPU was compatible with an earlier BIOS than the E8400. Make sure your BIOS is newer than 1101, otherwise download the latest one here and flash it:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_SLI/#CPUS
  3. xtreme5 said:
    remove out all the ram and then put them back then try!


    Tried that, no luck... but thanks!
  4. elayman said:
    Just did a quick search. It looks like your CPU was compatible with an earlier BIOS than the E8400. Make sure your BIOS is newer than 1101, otherwise download the latest one here and flash it:
    http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_SLI/#CPUS


    I thought of that, but the problem is not even the bios appears... S:
  5. NO, you missed the point. put your old processor back in. update the BIOS to the one that supports your new processor on that particular board. put the new processor back in. it should then work.
  6. swifty_morgan said:
    NO, you missed the point. put your old processor back in. update the BIOS to the one that supports your new processor on that particular board. put the new processor back in. it should then work.


    I wanted to do that, I know I need to put in my old CPU, but it won't boot that neither any more... I've been reading around and it seems like a common issue with this mb... is it possible?
  7. No POST beep? Maybe you shorted your MB?
  8. Put original CPU in - reset bios then try to update bios.
    -Bruce
  9. Quote:
    Make sure the teeth in the cpu socket are not bent at all.


    Checked but none are bent, thanks.
  10. dish_moose said:
    Put original CPU in - reset bios then try to update bios.
    -Bruce


    Original CPU won't boot any more either ):
  11. elayman said:
    No POST beep? Maybe you shorted your MB?


    Nope no beeps, just everything working and a black screen...
  12. Best answer
    Can you swap the power supply and try with minimal components. ie. just CPU and 1 RAM stick. If that works, start adding components until it stops working. I'd guess it's your PSU or Motherboard.
  13. elayman said:
    Can you swap the power supply and try with minimal components. ie. just CPU and 1 RAM stick. If that works, start adding components until it stops working. I'd guess it's your PSU or Motherboard.


    Thanks for the hint, but I think it's the motherboard... shame because I liked it. Oh well, just bought a new MSI P7N SLI Platinum (: Thanks again!
  14. Best answer selected by Mc837.
  15. Thanks for the best answer. Please post when you get it working! Make sure you take precautionary measures not to discharge static electricity on your components when touching them. You can get something like this (they're cheap and easy to use) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

    Or you can just touch the bare metal of your case every couple of minutes.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt CPUs Systems