Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Issues after CPU upgrade.

Last response: in Systems
December 25, 2011 5:01:34 PM

Hello everyone!

So, I have a problem. I recently decided to upgrade my CPU from an Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 to an Intel Core 2 Duo 8400. I also got a Thermalright IFX-14 heatsink with it. So I replaced the CPU in my ASUS P5N-e sli motherboard and installed the new heatsink. I plugged everything back in and powered up my pc, but it won't show any signs of working... I tried using a different graphics card (I have an Nvidia 9800GT and I tried an Nvidia 8800GT) but nothing worked. I know I plugged everything in correctly, I even tried putting everything back as it was before... any ideas to what could have happened? I really have no idea...

Thanks in advance!
Mc837

More about : issues cpu upgrade

a b à CPUs
December 25, 2011 5:19:05 PM

remove out all the ram and then put them back then try!
m
l
Related resources
December 25, 2011 6:22:00 PM

xtreme5 said:
remove out all the ram and then put them back then try!

Tried that, no luck... but thanks!
m
l
December 25, 2011 6:22:32 PM

elayman said:
Just did a quick search. It looks like your CPU was compatible with an earlier BIOS than the E8400. Make sure your BIOS is newer than 1101, otherwise download the latest one here and flash it:
http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5NE_...

I thought of that, but the problem is not even the bios appears... S:
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2011 6:40:34 PM

NO, you missed the point. put your old processor back in. update the BIOS to the one that supports your new processor on that particular board. put the new processor back in. it should then work.
m
l
December 25, 2011 7:18:41 PM

swifty_morgan said:
NO, you missed the point. put your old processor back in. update the BIOS to the one that supports your new processor on that particular board. put the new processor back in. it should then work.

I wanted to do that, I know I need to put in my old CPU, but it won't boot that neither any more... I've been reading around and it seems like a common issue with this mb... is it possible?
m
l
December 25, 2011 7:59:08 PM

No POST beep? Maybe you shorted your MB?
m
l
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2011 8:13:04 PM

Put original CPU in - reset bios then try to update bios.
-Bruce
m
l
December 25, 2011 8:27:14 PM

Quote:
Make sure the teeth in the cpu socket are not bent at all.

Checked but none are bent, thanks.
m
l
December 25, 2011 8:27:49 PM

dish_moose said:
Put original CPU in - reset bios then try to update bios.
-Bruce

Original CPU won't boot any more either ):
m
l
December 25, 2011 8:28:41 PM

elayman said:
No POST beep? Maybe you shorted your MB?

Nope no beeps, just everything working and a black screen...
m
l

Best solution

December 26, 2011 5:16:15 PM

Can you swap the power supply and try with minimal components. ie. just CPU and 1 RAM stick. If that works, start adding components until it stops working. I'd guess it's your PSU or Motherboard.
December 27, 2011 7:20:16 PM

elayman said:
Can you swap the power supply and try with minimal components. ie. just CPU and 1 RAM stick. If that works, start adding components until it stops working. I'd guess it's your PSU or Motherboard.

Thanks for the hint, but I think it's the motherboard... shame because I liked it. Oh well, just bought a new MSI P7N SLI Platinum (: Thanks again!
m
l
December 27, 2011 7:20:55 PM

Best answer selected by Mc837.
m
l
December 28, 2011 9:37:12 AM

Thanks for the best answer. Please post when you get it working! Make sure you take precautionary measures not to discharge static electricity on your components when touching them. You can get something like this (they're cheap and easy to use) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antistatic_wrist_strap

Or you can just touch the bare metal of your case every couple of minutes.
m
l
!