PS3: Smoke and mirrors?

Last response: in Video Games
May 18, 2005 10:25:52 PM

Here is Epic Games' Mark Rein on Sony's pre-E3 conference:

In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison,
the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party
portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.

http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=19746030

Oh dear. I rather hoped key Sony personnel had learnt valuable
lessons after hyping PlayStation2, then failing to deliver on what
was widely anticipated.

I'm not impressed.

More about : ps3 smoke mirrors

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:25:53 PM

"Paisa Lytton" <p.lytton@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
> Here is Epic Games' Mark Rein on Sony's pre-E3 conference:
>
> In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison,
> the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party
> portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.
>
> http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=19746030
>
> Oh dear. I rather hoped key Sony personnel had learnt valuable
> lessons after hyping PlayStation2, then failing to deliver on what
> was widely anticipated.
>
> I'm not impressed.

Not impressed by a tech demo that was running only on the graphics chip
(Epic's demo)

or not impressed by a tech demo that was running only on the Cell chip (the
ducks in the tub, and the boats shooting each others sails to shreds)

Or maybe not impressed by the EA demo of Fight night which was using both
chips???

yeah, if that didnt impress you, then you are very hard to please. That
punch in Fight Night looked alot like the punch Neo gives Agent smith in
Matrix Revolutions.... that ripple effect that the fat on your face makes...
no that's not impressive at all...

LOL

Anonymous
May 18, 2005 10:25:54 PM

> or not impressed by a tech demo that was running only on the Cell chip
> (the ducks in the tub, and the boats shooting each others sails to shreds)

"Cell" chip? The chip doesn't even exist yet!

"He shrugged off the impressive video Sony showed at its media event,
suggesting the video was merely an approximation of what the PS3 will
deliver. "The [Cell] chip doesn't even exist," Moore nearly hooted. "

"Brenden D. Chase" <brenden.chase@NOSPAMHEREgmail.com> wrote in message

> "Paisa Lytton" <p.lytton@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>> Here is Epic Games' Mark Rein on Sony's pre-E3 conference:
>>
>> In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison,
>> the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party
>> portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.
>>
>> http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=19746030
>>
>> Oh dear. I rather hoped key Sony personnel had learnt valuable
>> lessons after hyping PlayStation2, then failing to deliver on what
>> was widely anticipated.
>>
>> I'm not impressed.
>>

> Not impressed by a tech demo that was running only on the graphics chip
> (Epic's demo)
>
> or not impressed by a tech demo that was running only on the Cell chip
> (the ducks in the tub, and the boats shooting each others sails to shreds)
>
> Or maybe not impressed by the EA demo of Fight night which was using both
> chips???
>
> yeah, if that didnt impress you, then you are very hard to please. That
> punch in Fight Night looked alot like the punch Neo gives Agent smith in
> Matrix Revolutions.... that ripple effect that the fat on your face
> makes... no that's not impressive at all...
>
> LOL

Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:29:03 AM

Paisa Lytton wrote:

> Here is Epic Games' Mark Rein on Sony's pre-E3 conference:
>
> In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison,
> the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party
> portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.
>
> http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=19746030
>
> Oh dear. I rather hoped key Sony personnel had learnt valuable
> lessons after hyping PlayStation2, then failing to deliver on what
> was widely anticipated.
>
> I'm not impressed.

you weren't impressed by ps2? hard to please?

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look

Paisa Lytton wrote:
> Here is Epic Games' Mark Rein on Sony's pre-E3 conference:
>
> In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison,
> the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party
> portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.
>
> http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=19746030
>
> Oh dear. I rather hoped key Sony personnel had learnt valuable
> lessons after hyping PlayStation2, then failing to deliver on what
> was widely anticipated.
>
> I'm not impressed.

That sentence is being taken totally out of context, misinterpreted
and finally turned into a blatant lie by xflop fanfairies. Study it
carefully. Nowhere in that sentence does it say "Killzone 2 was
prerendered". This is the lie that the xflop fanfairies are trying to
spread. This is an old tactic of theirs, going back to 5 years ago.
Tell a lie enough times and it will become a truth, whether it is
factual or not.
The statement clearly states the tech demos were being run in real
time, the Epic Unreal Engine 3 was being run in real time and the EA
part was being run in real time. There were literally dozens of game
trailers and gameplay of games in development that were being shown as
movies of in-game action. Several were very close to the Killzone 2
footage but the Killzone 2 footage was several notches above everything
else. All you have to do is watch the conference footage and see for
yourself what was said and what was shown.
Nobody in the presentation claimed the Killzone 2 game footage was
being run in real time. That was the first part of the lie the xflop
fanfairies have started, that Sony somehow claimed everything that was
being shown on the stage was being shown in real time. Study that claim
and realize how stupid that would be anyway but that is the way the
xflop fanfairies work.
Then look at the other fact. The xflop full circle has NOTHING running
in real time. It was ALL MOVIES of game trailers and small snippets of
some in-game scenes with stuttering frame rates at that. If anything,
the xflop full circle presentation wasn't even Smoke and Mirrors, it
was Total Vapor. They are now running one game on the show floor for
the xflop full circle and there is more yawning than shouting. The fact
is the Killzone 2 footage was so far above anything else that many
people are convinced it was prerendered although there are several
clues in the footage to indicate it is in-game action. Look at the real
time tech demos though and there is every indication that supports the
Killzone 2 footage was in-game action.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 3:47:03 AM

Brenden D. Chase got up from the bar and shouted: :
> "Paisa Lytton" <p.lytton@nospam.co.uk> wrote in message
>
>>Here is Epic Games' Mark Rein on Sony's pre-E3 conference:
>>
>> In addition to the Sony demos being shown by Phil Harrison,
>> the Epic and EA presentations were the only third party
>> portions actually running on the PS3 in real-time.
>>
>>http://ve3dboards.ign.com/message.asp?topic=19746030
>>
>>Oh dear. I rather hoped key Sony personnel had learnt valuable
>>lessons after hyping PlayStation2, then failing to deliver on what
>>was widely anticipated.
>>
>>I'm not impressed.
>>

> Not impressed by a tech demo that was running only on the graphics chip
> (Epic's demo)
>
> or not impressed by a tech demo that was running only on the Cell chip (the
> ducks in the tub, and the boats shooting each others sails to shreds)
>
> Or maybe not impressed by the EA demo of Fight night which was using both
> chips???
>
> yeah, if that didnt impress you, then you are very hard to please. That
> punch in Fight Night looked alot like the punch Neo gives Agent smith in
> Matrix Revolutions.... that ripple effect that the fat on your face makes...
> no that's not impressive at all...
>
> LOL

Agreed, as it turns out, only about 70% was realtime demos. However,
the demos looked great, and this much potential so early on, is
mouthwatering to say the least.

Just think how much PS2 games have come on since launch in 2000. Only
in the last year have we seen games that fully push the PS2 to it's max
capabilities (GT3 for example).

Imagine what developers will be doing with PS3 in 2008.... (Drools...)
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:14:04 AM

To Paul, Brenden, and others:

Yes, I recall the PS2 tech demos (the FF ballroom dance, the old
mans face, the rubber duck, etc.). That level of performance was
never nearly reached because PS2 was unequal to the task.

The glaring disparity between the potential SCEI said existed and
what in fact materialised cannot possibly be reconciled, so on what
basis do you now accept the latest technical demonstrations and
Sony's word as true?

This question is particularly pertinent in light of recent revelations.

I'd like an answer.
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 4:36:52 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2,alt.games.video.xbox (More info?)

On 18 May 2005 23:14:33 -0700, "Blig Merk" <blig_murk@yahoo.com> wrote
in message <1116483273.623534.154410@g44g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>:

> That sentence is being taken totally out of context, misinterpreted
>and finally turned into a blatant lie by xflop fanfairies. Study it
>carefully. Nowhere in that sentence does it say "Killzone 2 was
>prerendered". This is the lie that the xflop fanfairies are trying to
>spread. This is an old tactic of theirs, going back to 5 years ago.
>Tell a lie enough times and it will become a truth, whether it is
>factual or not.
> The statement clearly states the tech demos were being run in real
>time, the Epic Unreal Engine 3 was being run in real time and the EA
>part was being run in real time. There were literally dozens of game
>trailers and gameplay of games in development that were being shown as
>movies of in-game action. Several were very close to the Killzone 2
>footage but the Killzone 2 footage was several notches above everything
>else. All you have to do is watch the conference footage and see for
>yourself what was said and what was shown.
> Nobody in the presentation claimed the Killzone 2 game footage was
>being run in real time. That was the first part of the lie the xflop
>fanfairies have started, that Sony somehow claimed everything that was
>being shown on the stage was being shown in real time. Study that claim
>and realize how stupid that would be anyway but that is the way the
>xflop fanfairies work.
> Then look at the other fact. The xflop full circle has NOTHING running
>in real time. It was ALL MOVIES of game trailers and small snippets of
>some in-game scenes with stuttering frame rates at that. If anything,
>the xflop full circle presentation wasn't even Smoke and Mirrors, it
>was Total Vapor. They are now running one game on the show floor for
>the xflop full circle and there is more yawning than shouting. The fact
>is the Killzone 2 footage was so far above anything else that many
>people are convinced it was prerendered although there are several
>clues in the footage to indicate it is in-game action. Look at the real
>time tech demos though and there is every indication that supports the
>Killzone 2 footage was in-game action.

Do you truly believe everything you write? I can't imagine anyone except
the most brainwashed Sony quislings would be able to keep a straight
face posting such drivel.

For the record, I counted at least 7 instances where you either wrote
"xflop full circle" or "xflop fanfaries." Sony must have something
jammed so far up your rear end that you can't even bring yourself to
write the name "Xbox."
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 5:34:56 AM

Paisa Lytton wrote:

> To Paul, Brenden, and others:
>
> Yes, I recall the PS2 tech demos (the FF ballroom dance, the old
> mans face, the rubber duck, etc.). That level of performance was
> never nearly reached because PS2 was unequal to the task.
>
> The glaring disparity between the potential SCEI said existed and
> what in fact materialised cannot possibly be reconciled, so on what
> basis do you now accept the latest technical demonstrations and
> Sony's word as true?
>
> This question is particularly pertinent in light of recent revelations.
>
> I'd like an answer.

what do you want this machine to do? Make your breakfast? I still find
the ps2 a fun machine which at least met my expectations, whereas both
the ninetndo and xbox failed to do so, both mainly because they
couldn't give me the games I wanted. I am not expecting the new ps to
fly me to the moon, all I want it to do is be a great games machine
which doesn't rely solely on online play.

--
Paul (And I'm, like, "yeah, whatever!")
Stop and Look
http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
Anonymous
May 19, 2005 12:45:27 PM

"Zackman" <zackman@SPAMISEVILearthling.net> wrote in message
> Remember Halo's choppy, laggy horror show at E3 2001 six months before the
> game was released? Were there any framerate problems in the final game?

No offense but that would be a big ole YES.
Halo ran pretty smooth but it did have slowdown and "some frame problems
thoughout the game.
The final level played in slow motion it was so bad.
!