SIM card from Germany--use in US?

Last response: in Technologies
May 28, 2004 5:16:01 PM

Because of excellent advice on this newsgroup I was able to buy a
prepaid SIM (Vodaphone--D2) in Germany and use it in my Motorola V66
phone. It turned out that I could even call back to the USA--of course
it was very expensive.

Now that I am back in US, would I be correct that the SIM will no longer
function. As I understand it, the SIM uses 900/1800 GSM frequencies
in Europe, and of course here in US the GSM frequency is 1900.

At first, after the SIM was installed, the phone wouldn't work. I had
to consult several people at VOdaphone, and finally the fourth person
realized that the frequency change was needed---but even the Motorola
V66 manual didn't make any real reference to this. I was simply
surprised that the first 3 people at Vodaphone (and even T-Mobile)
couldn't figure out the problem. I guess that lack of training of
sales people extends everywhere.

Thanks
Mahl

More about : sim card germany

Anonymous
May 28, 2004 5:16:02 PM

On Fri, 28 May 2004 at 13:16 GMT, <mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

> Now that I am back in US, would I be correct that the SIM will no longer
> function. As I understand it, the SIM uses 900/1800 GSM frequencies
> in Europe, and of course here in US the GSM frequency is 1900.

I don't think it's the freq, per se, that's causing the issue. AFAIK,
a sim is tied to a network account, not to a frequency.

--
L.V.X., brother mouse
http://www.mousetrap.net/otr/ Old Time Radio trades

On Fri, 28 May 2004 13:16:01 GMT, Mahlon Wagner
<mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>Because of excellent advice on this newsgroup I was able to buy a
>prepaid SIM (Vodaphone--D2) in Germany and use it in my Motorola V66
>phone. It turned out that I could even call back to the USA--of course
>it was very expensive.
>
>Now that I am back in US, would I be correct that the SIM will no longer
>function. As I understand it, the SIM uses 900/1800 GSM frequencies
>in Europe, and of course here in US the GSM frequency is 1900.
The sim could care what frequency it is used on, it has the subscriber
information, PERIOD.

Motorola phones usually have to be commanded to change frequency,
(Ericsson phones if they don't find anything in one band, try another,
so when you from North America to Europe, the first registrationoften
takes a while, because it will search the 1900Mhz band before trying
for 900Mhz unless you change the clock. If you change the clock to a
new time zone, it will switch the search order of the bands if
appropriate.

>At first, after the SIM was installed, the phone wouldn't work. I had
>to consult several people at VOdaphone, and finally the fourth person
>realized that the frequency change was needed---but even the Motorola
>V66 manual didn't make any real reference to this. I was simply
>surprised that the first 3 people at Vodaphone (and even T-Mobile)
>couldn't figure out the problem. I guess that lack of training of
>sales people extends everywhere.
>
>Thanks
>Mahl
Related resources
May 29, 2004 7:36:49 AM

<mwagner2@twcny.rr.com> wrote:

>Now that I am back in US, would I be correct that the SIM will no longer
>function. As I understand it, the SIM uses 900/1800 GSM frequencies
>in Europe, and of course here in US the GSM frequency is 1900.

SIM has nothing to do with it working or not. If D2 has prepaid
roaming in the US it will work provided it's used in a GSM 1900 phone.
You may have some modified outbound dialing procedure i.e. you may not
be able to just dial as normal.

remove NONO from .NONOcom to reply
Anonymous
May 29, 2004 6:31:18 PM

Joseph schrieb:

> SIM has nothing to do with it working or not. If D2 has prepaid
> roaming in the US it will work provided it's used in a GSM 1900 phone.
> You may have some modified outbound dialing procedure i.e. you may not
> be able to just dial as normal.

Correct. Look at http://www.vodafone.de/infofaxe/397.pdf (german).
There you find on page 7 that roaming should be possible in several US
networks using a GSM 1900 phone.

Wolfgang
!